What Wattmeter to choose?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • I've played around with a couple of watt/power meters (pics below)
  • One of them I've 'built in' to a battery discharge tester and the other I temporarily mounted on the bike's handlebars so I could better understand battery behaviour vs pedal assist and so on
  • What I found most useful was knowing from the discharge tester, the capacity of my battery (in Wh and Ah) and then on the handlebar mounted meter, I was able to more accurately gauge battery assist range by noting Wh/Ah usage vs mileage ridden - a much better way than the usual 'fuel gauge' LED things!
  • I sealed the handlebar mounted one with hot-melt glue (the black one in the pic) and didn't get any problems in a couple of downpours.
  • However, the handlebar meter is a bit bulky and so I'm wondering what other meters might be available?
  • Basic functionality is
    > not be bulky
    > ideally weatherproof or could be made so fairly easily (although I might consider an 'indoor' version and keep it in a saddle or frame bag).
    > must be able to measure up to 42v and record consumption in Wh and Ah
    > must NOT require an external shunt ie, the shunt to be internal to the meter and capable of upto 20A although 10A would be OK
  • Any suggestions/recommendations please (with links if possible)?
Thanks, B4t

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
For the price, unlikely to be bettered.

DIY arduino type solution is about the only alternative.

Reactions: Bikes4two

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
For the price, unlikely to be bettered.

DIY arduino type solution is about the only alternative.
I was thinking the same, DIY approach.

The PCB inside one of the shown meters is about 56mm x 36mm and has a hd44780 display header. So most of the size is down to the display itself.

You could use an Arduino (Pro Mini for instance) to read the LCD signals and drive a much smaller OLED.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Google is a wonderful tool.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Thanks for all of your replies
  • I'll give the Arduino option a miss for the moment (I last played around with an Arduino about 4 years ago and I've forgotten most of what I learnt, so a steep re-learning curve :rolleyes: ) but remoting the data to a smaller screen is worth a thought?
  • And although I spec'd an internal shunt resistor, if I could determine a suitable location for a remote shunt then the wires back to the meter unit can be much thinner making a handlebar mounted unit simpler - :rolleyes:
  • Having used the two types of meter shown in the pics above, I'm going to give the KWS - DC200 a go. I'll try the 10A version (internal shunt) first as on my TSDZ2 in ECO mode, I rarely go above 4A. The DCS200 in it's native form is a panel mounted device intended for internal use, but maybe with a suitable size 'project box' I could overcome that limitation (have I now found a 'reason' for getting a 3D printer o_O )

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The DC200 does look more colourful, but by the time you put it in a case (the waterproof requirement) it may end up a fair bit bigger than the ones in your first post, which you said were bulky.

I would take the Blue alluminium one to bits, it may not be too much work to modify it to be 'waterproof'.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I like this one. Up to 20A without a shunt, or they do another version up to 100A with a shunt.

Personally, I would prefer one with a shunt so you don't have to have fat cables going from your battery to your handle bars and then to your controller.

Advertisers