What were the main worries queries you had before purchasing your e-bike?

loubyloo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2008
York
None with the first but plenty now

I just discovered E bikes from a work colleague and just thought that for my situation (cant drive and no buses to the places I needeto travel) and my joints were beginnig to hurt after years of cyling that anything had to be a help;)
It is only further down the line as i get to know more the worries about bikes and mainly reliability kick in - I have one bike that has been with the dealer since january (yes january waiting for a repair )
My first broke in half two days after the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it :eek:
My third is good but not the bike the dealer told me it was and I do have issues with the charger (Its a Giant)
so while looking for number 4 Reliability and Honest Manufacturer are my big queries

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I just discovered E bikes from a work colleague and just thought that for my situation (cant drive and no buses to the places I needeto travel) and my joints were beginnig to hurt after years of cyling that anything had to be a help;)
It is only further down the line as i get to know more the worries about bikes and mainly reliability kick in - I have one bike that has been with the dealer since january (yes january waiting for a repair )
My first broke in half two days after the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it :eek:
My third is good but not the bike the dealer told me it was and I do have issues with the charger (Its a Giant)
so while looking for number 4 Reliability and Honest Manufacturer are my big queries
Hi Loubyloo and welcome to the forum
Blimey you have had a few problems so far with your bikes :eek:
I have a Wisper 905se and as for the reliability and honesty this is unsurpassed! I would highly reccommend this one!
Hope you get a fourth time lucky one as you haven't had a whole lot of luck so far.
Fingers crossed :)
Regards
Mandy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These threads are defunct now, the original survey completed six months ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, no feedback Alex. As someone posted a little while ago, a bit thoughtless after Russ had made such a generous provision for him in this site.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
My main worries were:

Battery range and longevity
Would I use it enough to justify the cost
Is it a practical option in the depths of Winter
Choosing the right model for me - test rides helped alot with this

On all three time will tell:)

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I didn't know an awful lot about e-bikes before i got one. My concern was not getting ripped off. After that my concern was to get a bike which wasn't too heavy for use in an emergency. On reflection i should have gone for more power, torque, I.e a motor closer to the 250w allowed.

Also, one thing you don't consider until you need to, is the cost of replacing the battery. A newly launched bike seems more likely to have replacement batteries at a modest cost, than a bike three years down the road, with all those 'new' owners queing up for replacements.

Right now i am seriously considering getting a replacement bike rather than a replacement battery. This may sound silly, but if im going to reinvest in the bike, it might as well be a bike with better range and power than my present ride.

Other than its diminishing power, i've not regretted going e.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
My girlfriend Jannie and I are both cyclists. In our small shed there are 2 TREK road bikes, a TREK mountain bike (Jannies) a TREK street bike (Mine) and a Bacchetta Giro 26 recumbent (Mine).

We went to an exhibition in an old mill at the weekend where we had seen electric bikes would be on display. The mill is in a valley with cobblestones heading in both directions. We did not think we would be able to test them because of the terrain but the dealer said it was not a problem. We have both cycled our road bikes up theses hills many times and it is tough, especially with the cobbles.

We were given a Batavus to try and Jannie went first. We did not know what to expect but she shot off up the hill as if she was on a moped. 20 minutes later she came belting back with an "Electric grin" on her face. Then it was my turn and I was blown away.

I ride 22kms to work every day on my road bike, setting off at 04.45. On my ride I have 2 very stiff climbs. On a ride out I enjoy them but at that time of the morning on the way to work, it is a bit of a chore.

An electric bike would certainly help in my daily commute and the bike I am considering would pay for itself within 3 years.

My concerns are:

Reliability, reliability, reliability

Comfort

Ability to post the batteries to holiday destinations. We can take the bikes on the plane but not the batteries I believe.

We live in Denmark, which is the most bike friendly country you can visit. It appears electric bikes are going to take of massively in Denmark this year. If the displays in the bike shops are anything to go by.

This is a very exciting time for us and a whole new chapter in our cycling lives and yes we will be buying a bike each and most probably the same make and model. It makes servicing and repairing easier for me.

Steve and Jannie

Rod Fuller

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Going to court and losing my driving licence.:D
Lost my licence and 6 month ban due to the topping up procedure, all exceeding 50mph. My argument was I could not have averaged 60mph over 10 miles from Basingstoke to Farnborough and drove at 50 apart from overtaking idiot in front of me who kept braking.
Hence a pedelec, great interest in the Forum. I have enjoyed the Forum and thank those that have replied to my questions. I have purchased a Powabyke with front hub motor which works , I am in the process of smartening it up before selling My next project, not delivered yet, is an all sprung mountain bike again with a front hub motor

Last edited:

Ian-p-e-d-e-l-e-c

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2016
Would the bike help me cycle up the hill I could only make part way up on my own. How much would the bike extend my range?

Confusion on e-bike laws. I mean if they are supposed to be "exactly" like normal cycles, then why does this apply

• You must be at least 14 years old to ride an electric bike?

Advertisers