Oct 28, 2015
Australia
Hi there

I've been coming across a lot of different wheel size statements:

700 cc (ok I know THAT one)
29" (yep that is known too)
26" (another well known one)
But what is the
27.5" wheel size? New sizing, would you need different tires, tubes etc for that size? Or just a "new weave" thing and actually is the same size as the 26"?
I always believed that 700cc and 29" are of the same size except 29" is refereed to MTB's .
Anybody who can enlighten me? Please? :confused:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It is a fairly recent thing.
Idea being you get the rolling ability of 29er and the sharp turning off a 26er

Never ridden one so I don't know if it is the best of both worlds or a just a compromise

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
It is a fairly recent thing.
Idea being you get the rolling ability of 29er and the sharp turning off a 26er

Never ridden one so I don't know if it is the best of both worlds or a just a compromise
Call me a cynic if you will, but IMHO, like so many other things bike related, it's been done (the 27.5 thing) to create more sales and make folk think they need to buy a new bike to keep up with the latest innovations.
Completely unnecessary for the majority of cyclists. 26'' or 29er/700c choice is perfectly adequate ;)

Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
I purchased a 27.5" bike and it does feel more responsive than a 29" on forest tracks/trails & tighter corners, but seems to roll over bumps/tree roots better than a 26".
I'm sold on 27.5", and I'm a real cynic.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's advantages and disadvantages whichever wheel size you use out of 26" and 29". Obviously, 27.5" halves the difference. Maybe, it would have saved a lot of hassle if 27.5" had been the standard from the beginning.

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
One of my rides, an Oxygen MTB, has 27.5" wheels. The size of the wheels had no bearing on my purchase at the time, but it does roll well and is very responsive. I would certainly purchase another 27.5" equipped cycle in the future.

Advertisers