Where can I get a compatible replacement handlebar display for a Pendleton Somerby ebike? (King Meter 790 LED)

ron1234

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2021
Hello friendly forum folks,

I have a Pendleton Somerby ebike. It's a low-end commuter ebike with a hub motor and generally cheap components. Some combination of wear and water have shorted out the display/buttons unit on the handlebars. I believe the rest of the electrics are good, and I don't want to replace them if I don't have to. I'm really struggling to find any place where I can purchase a compatible replacement display. The only identifying marks on it are the number "790" and some kind of serial number and voltage on the rear (see attached photos)

I've been browsing all kinds of mystery listings on aliexpress and ebay, and I even ordered an "890" display that looked very similar and had the correct connector. It took weeks to arrive, and when it finally did, the display lit up, but I couldn't turn on the motor-assist for the bike.

Can somebody please help me figure out where I can buy a replacement display/handlebar control for this bike? I think what I need is a 36V King Meter 790 LED, with a 5-pin male waterproof connector, and no headlight button, but rather a "walk" button instead. Would this one work, even though it has the headlight button?

Somebody else on this forum had a very similar question, but it sounds like @Dawes700 gave up and just hotwired their bike, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that. I'd be extremely grateful for any advice this forum could offer.

Thanks!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I suspect the 890 led was a KT model possibly or an 8fun one.

Last edited:

ron1234

Jul 20, 2021
I suspect the 890 led was a KT model possibly or an 8fun one.
What's the difference between KT / 8fun / King Meter? Is there any way to tell which one I need? There's no brand name on it, and all these displays on Aliexpress look nearly identical.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately many brands use the same generic looking display, problem is each manufacturer has different commands/protocols when it comes to the intelligent 5 wires models.
Kingmeter typically are used with lishui controllers as you have on the Pendleton.
8fun are the marketing name of Bafang , whilst KT are Kuenteng, none compatible with each other usage wise due to the software programmed in to the 790 & controller pcb's.

So one has to be careful when selecting an item, it needs to specifically name the brand. Also some have the 6km/h button or alight button, the light button model has 6 pins with an extra center one.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With the 4 pin leds one can get away using any generic 4 pin type usually, but with 5 pin there are more comms between controller and display to confirm compatibility.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a 5 pin connector. You can see the exact design in the second photo.
The question was how many wires, not how many pins! 790 is normally 4 wires or 5 if it has the light switch, but I'm not sure if there are digital versions that have 5 wires. Is it possible to open it up to see what's connected?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
His LED panel does not have light switch.
it looks like standard King Meter analog 790 LED panel with Julet connector.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nor does it by the looks have the 6km/h option either as is pretty much standard as well now. An old Mk1 version.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
My (daughters) July 2017 pendleton has the digital version of the 790. (It automatically switches off after a few minutes with no activity and has flashing lights error codes if brake switch sticks etc. It needs to communicate to controller to do this, so has 5 active wires).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 790 will need to be a lishui compatible model so a KM one, as I mentioned before 790's are available for 8FUN/Bafang , KT and other controller makes so it has to be a KM model to be compatibly programmed.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
His LED panel does not have light switch.
it looks like standard King Meter analog 790 LED panel with Julet connector.
A standard analogue one without light switch has 4 wires. The only way to know which version is to open it up, unless there are only 4 wires in the cable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A standard analogue one without light switch has 4 wires. The only way to know which version is to open it up, unless there are only 4 wires in the cable.
that does not matter much, in view that his problem is the membrane switches don't work reliably anymore.
if he has 5 wires before, then his light won't work, no big loss.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
that does not matter much, in view that his problem is the membrane switches don't work reliably anymore.
if he has 5 wires before, then his light won't work, no big loss.
I think you might have misunderstood the point. He needs to determine whether his display is analogue or digital.

4 wires are definitely analogue
5 wires with a light switch can be either, so you have to look at the markings on the pcb either in the controller of display
5 wires without a light switch is probably, but not definitely digital.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Can somebody please help me figure out where I can buy a replacement display/handlebar control for this bike?
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you actually asked Halfords?

Many of these Somerby e-bikes must - given they've been sold in their (10's of) thousands over many years - be of an age where the failure of membrane switches has got to be a very common problem - and a repair Halfords must be asked for daily.

Halfords would likely know exactly which 790 display you need - given any incremental improvements over the years - and (hopefully) be able to supply one?

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

ron1234

Jul 20, 2021
I clipped the wire off the old display and stripped the outer insulation, it looks like there are 5 wires. This unit has a "walk" button, but not a headlight.

Attachments

ron1234

Jul 20, 2021
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you actually asked Halfords?
I did contact Halfords, and they were very resistant to giving me any information over the phone or selling me a replacement display unit directly. They kept asking me to bring the bike in to their repair shop so their bike mechanics can look at it.

There isn't a Halfords that near to me, so it's inconvenient for me to take the whole bike over there when I'm pretty sure all I need is a new display to plug in.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Whether these one will work ?
Both have has the 5pin julet and it has walk assist/6km/h button

KING METER 790 LED 15 ES DisLplay of Electric Bike Digital Computer Pannel EVELO Electric Bicycle Speedometer|Electric Bicycle Accessories| - AliExpress

KING METER 790 LED 15 ES DisLplay of Electric Bike Digital Computer Pannel EVELO Electric Bicycle Speedometer|Electric Bicycle Accessories| - AliExpress

Message the seller to ask if it will work with Lishui ebike controller.
But first make sure you controller is Lishui or has the LSW XXX designator on the bottom of the label.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I did contact Halfords, and they were very resistant to giving me any information over the phone or selling me a replacement display unit directly. They kept asking me to bring the bike in to their repair shop so their bike mechanics can look at it.

There isn't a Halfords that near to me, so it's inconvenient for me to take the whole bike over there when I'm pretty sure all I need is a new display to plug in.
Yes, I understand, but it's now become clear why Halfords wanted to look at your bike first: As the forum gurus here have said, and King Meter themselves confirm, there seem to be three core versions of the 790: UART, CANBUS, or Analogue... either with or without "light" or "walk" options... so that's nine possible variants(?).

Click here: 790 (king-meter.com)

As a disinterested party looking at the Somerby, even I can see several changes that have taken place over the many years it's been made. It's not unreasonable to expect Halfords have made incremental updates to it over all those years... and why they'd need to take a look at your specific bike before advising.

You could take another punt and waste more money and a few more weeks ordering another one that may or may not work, but suffering the inconvenience by taking your bike into Halfords seems the quicker (and likely lower-cost) option to me. Just sayin'.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers