Where to buy a magnetic battery connector ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Once I get my mid drive gsm kit it will be going onto a steel framed Charge Cooker 29er

I want to have the battery in a backpack only for weight distribution and safety purposes ie if , and indeed, when I take a tumble I don't want a frame mounted pack ripping luggs out the frame(been there and done that)

What I'd like is a power lead with a magnetic connector (something like Apple's magsafe) so that if I fall off tree hen the battery comes with me and is disconnected

Where can I buy such a thing ? I've looked around but cannot see anything capable of 18a at 36v

Arash

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2015
What about a kill switch with a lanyard attachment like motorcross riders have?

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
What about a kill switch with a lanyard attachment like motorcross riders have?
It's less about killing motor than disconnecting the battery (attached to me) from rest of electrics (attached to bike)

I don't want to rip out connections/wires but get a nice safe disconnect

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Amounts to the same test

Just without the pain :)

I may start with that and try to make my own connectors using neo magnets
The problem you will get is that heating neodymium magnets reduces the magnetic properties permanently, so soldering can be tricky, especially if you need to get large power cables on.

Arash

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2015
I have been mulling it over and if you do go with the magnetic idea, you will have to make the socket on the external side of the rucksack, I would use 2 round plugs each with ring magnets on the male and female, I would also use some sort of thin rubber or plastic material to stop them shorting out and to make disconnections easier, rather than soldering, use epoxy.

If you know some one with a 3d printer they will be delighted to make you something like that. I am building one right after I build me ebike, right after building my garden workshop! hahaha

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ahh, very interesting !

Especially as we immediately had very different approaches in mind

I was going to find a suitable low profile connector and then add the magnetism around it using epoxy putty/sugru/god knows

The current wasn't going to be carried via theb magnets in my head.

But I did not know that current reduces magnetism in the way you describe. New thing leant :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Andersons are held together by springs and used loads in situations where frequent make/disconnect is required. There is little difference in performance between magnetic springs and mechanical springs.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Andersons are held together by springs and used loads in situations where frequent make/disconnect is required. There is little difference in performance between magnetic springs and mechanical springs.

Andersons it is then:)

Advertisers