Which bike to buy?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Now I am confused.

If both are derestricted, the 1600w bike will have greater top speed.
If both are run at 25mph, the 1600w bike will have greater range and greater acceleration.

Correct?

Therefore, if two kits, 800w and 1600w respectively, have identical prices, it stands to reason that the latter is preferable (you get more for your money). Correct?
greater acceleration yes.
Greater range no.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ratings are really the only metrics for performance of e-bikes for newbies like myself. I don't know enough about e-bikes to ask the right questions which is why I am asking for help on this forum.

To reiterate:
a) top speed ~25mph
b) used on flat, public roads
c) budget of 1500GBP at most
d) the greater the acceleration and the greater the range, the better

Any recommendations besides the 1500w Pedalease and the 1500w Voodoo Hoodoo?
There's a altwieller going for £800, fitted with a kit it would easily hit 25 with greater range than most bikes at 15 mph

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
There's a altwieller going for £800, fitted with a kit it would easily hit 25 with greater range than most bikes at 15 mph
Altwieller or Altwiller? Either way, I googled both terms but didn't get any meaningful results. Also, I don't know how to install kits and haven't found anyone willing to do it, even for a fee.

Also, thanks for the clarification. Since acceleration is partly a function of motor wattage, I'll go for the greatest motor wattage I can afford.

I've asked Pedalease if they can fit their 1500w bike with a 60v/20Ah battery that they offer on their website.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Altwieller or Altwiller? Either way, I googled both terms but didn't get any meaningful results. Also, I don't know how to install kits and haven't found anyone willing to do it, even for a fee.

Also, thanks for the clarification. Since acceleration is partly a function of motor wattage, I'll go for the greatest motor wattage I can afford.

I've asked Pedalease if they can fit their 1500w bike with a 60v/20Ah battery that they offer on their website.
Alleweder
Sorry dyslexia doesn't help.
I just bought a quest and hit 29mph without electric assist on the flat :eek:

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Alleweder
Sorry dyslexia doesn't help.
I just bought a quest and hit 29mph without electric assist on the flat :eek:
Just so we are clear, the Alleweder is a tricycle that looks like a small car, correct? Looks nice but I don't have space to store it. Plus, riding an e-bike is more fun.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Yes but they are fast. Really fast and legal.

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Yes but they are fast. Really fast and legal.
Don't you need a driving license and insurance?

Initially I planned to buy a car and I discovered that I'd have to pay at least 1100 for insurance annually. Too much.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
No they're bikes, had a short test ride on my new quest today. Hit 29mph and average over 15 with no assist and I'm over 50 years old and 100+kg.with athsma.

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
No they're bikes, had a short test ride on my new quest today. Hit 29mph and average over 15 with no assist and I'm over 50 years old and 100+kg.with athsma.
How do you protect it at night? Do you keep it in your garage?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
How do you protect it at night? Do you keep it in your garage?
Garage,handbrake,chain and its registered with manufacturer so I own no 89:)

wordy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2017
Under what conditions did he buckle his wheel? He doesn't specify. Was he going +30mph?

I intend to run the 1500w motor with a 48v 35A controller at 20/25 mph (max).
Not fast just a bit careless on wet ground , it was something i thik we have all done but that is the joy of ridind any bike motor or not , not the bikes fault just one of those things ah well will be back in a day or two

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Not fast just a bit careless on wet ground , it was something i thik we have all done but that is the joy of ridind any bike motor or not , not the bikes fault just one of those things ah well will be back in a day or two
Did you fall off the bike? Did you crash into something? Or did the fork suddenly buckle as you were riding?

EDIT: As I understand, you were riding your bike and suddenly and unexpectedly, the fork buckled. Perhaps, the fork was defective (stress fractures)?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a hub motor wont beat a mid drive for all round use esp going up hills.

and it wont have a santa cruz frame ;)

if i had to get a new bike it would have the bafang 1000w motor only because i cant find a frame to fit a more hi power mid drive to a bike that dont cost thousands like the lmx plus the hole for the motor is to small.

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
a hub motor wont beat a mid drive for all round use esp going up hills.

and it wont have a santa cruz frame ;)

if i had to get a new bike it would have the bafang 1000w motor only because i cant find a frame to fit a more hi power mid drive to a bike that dont cost thousands like the lmx plus the hole for the motor is to small.
So, all things considered equal, a 1000w hub motor is less powerful than a 1000w mid drive? Lesser top speed and acceleration?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is what you set it to in the controller a hub motor will be cheaper and more heavy and prone to snapping spokes and not very good at going up hills.

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
it is what you set it to in the controller a hub motor will be cheaper and more heavy and prone to snapping spokes and not very good at going up hills.
Cheaper but more durable, correct?

Aside from the better hill-climbing ability, they offer no other advantages.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hub motors are no good for of road stuff esp jumps but if all you want it for is for on road commute then it will be fine and cheaper than a mid drive.

a hub motor is wound for either Torque or speed.

http://www.crystalyte.com/

Last edited:

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
hub motors are no good for of road stuff esp jumps but if all you want it for is for on road commute then it will be fine and cheaper than a mid drive.

a hub motor is wound for either Torque or speed.

http://www.crystalyte.com/
That's okay. I ride the bike on flat, public roads.

EDIT: I found this segment from a morning show on Irish television about the VooDoo HooDoo from the smallgreenroom. What do you think?

Advertisers