Which cage size is this?

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Hi guys, my giant emtb has a 10 speed xt shadow shifter, and I want to know if this is a GS (short cage) or SGS (long cage) plate.
How can I tell?
Thanks for any input.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not a short cage for sure, is either med or long.
Short cage is about 60mm centre of jockey wheels, med is about 85mm and long 100odd mm.
The cage size will be down to your gearing so large front and large rear size, once you know that look up the mech specs which will tell you the the max chain wheel and sprocket size that can be used.

Traditionally longs are for triples or larger gearing.

Last edited:

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Mine was 2x10, (36 in the back), but I converted it to 1x10, with 42 in the back, but it was really at it's limit.

Wondering if it would be better with a bigger plate (if mine was the medium, that is...)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mine was 2x10, (36 in the back), but I converted it to 1x10, with 42 in the back, but it was really at it's limit.

Wondering if it would be better with a bigger plate (if mine was the medium, that is...)
When you reach the limit of the mech by using larger gears a road link/mech extender works very well at a few pounds cost and possibly a new longer B screw.
My Pinnacle Arkose came as 2 x10 with 34t, I upgraded to a Sunrace 40t and used a road link copy. No adjustment needed and the upgrade worked perfectly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The road links extend the mech length which in turn allows a longer chain so the mech isn't working at the max stretch & stress.

Related Articles

Advertisers