Which chain for a Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500?

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hello,

What is the correct chain for a Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500 please? KMC selector pushes toward a KMC X10e e-bike specific chain but Cube website says chain on bike is just listed a KMC X10.

There is quite a bit of differene in price with ebike chains at approx £40 rather than £15.

Does it need to be a specific e-bike chain or can a standard X10 be used? Any idea of exact chain that ships with these bikes?

Thanks in advance,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just get any 10spd chain as thats all you need to worry about no need to spend extra on a ebike chain as it is just marketing as ebike means more money for the same thing.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I buy whatever is available on special offer on the day and I have used several now from different manufacturers and there doesn't seem much difference in life span.
I use a Park Chain Measuring tool and bin the chain when the longer pin drops in which made my Bosch front sprocket and cassette last for 2600 miles, but to be fair I dont do much off road. I found I had worn one gear on the cassette more than others so this time I am going to switch between a 15T and a 17T with each chain change..

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've always used KMC e11 because it came with FS bike and I've yet to have failure. New bike uses lot cheaper Shimano HG601. At price difference I can afford to change it at 0.5 instead of 0.70, which should improve chainring and cassette live.

Would be interested in anybody's experiences using HG601 with CX drive.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thank you all - much appreciated.

A standard KMC X10 chain for me looks like - no point in getting a special ebike one if it's not needed.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Standard mtb chain here too - in fact that is what was fitted to mine from new.

Tom

PS 10 speed change at .75 11 speed at .5. I am trying the swap at 250 miles regime running two chains until they reach .5 but too early to judge if it is the answer!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Standard mtb chain here too - in fact that is what was fitted to mine from new.

Tom

PS 10 speed change at .75 11 speed at .5. I am trying the swap at 250 miles regime running two chains until they reach .5 but too early to judge if it is the answer!
I tried running 2 chains but 2 chains on 2 bikes became a bit problematic!

Reactions: Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Thank you all - much appreciated.

A standard KMC X10 chain for me looks like - no point in getting a special ebike one if it's not needed.
Perhaps a small point but I find the KMC quick link difficult to remove easily whilst out on the trail should the worst happen and it is not easily removed in the shed either unless you have the tool to hand or "adapt" some pliers. Sram have great links that are easy fitted and removed as do Shimano nowadays.

Tom

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps a small point but I find the KMC quick link difficult to remove easily whilst out on the trail should the worst happen and it is not easily removed in the shed either unless you have the tool to hand or "adapt" some pliers. Sram have great links that are easy fitted and removed as do Shimano nowadays.

Tom
Best tool I have bought.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/x-tools-pro-master-link-pliers/rp-prod55925?gs=1&sku=sku202658&pgrid=51754478399&ptaid=pla-425901853160&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sY1wMnXk0_dm|pcrid|254173057411|pkw||pmt||prd|202658UK

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Whatever you buy just make sure it's long enough, some chains are only 114 links long and if you have a Yamaha motor and run a large chainring it will be to short.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I've always used KMC e11 because it came with FS bike and I've yet to have failure. New bike uses lot cheaper Shimano HG601. At price difference I can afford to change it at 0.5 instead of 0.70, which should improve chainring and cassette live.

Would be interested in anybody's experiences using HG601 with CX drive.
I’m running an HG601 on my CX-motored Trek. Currently at 550ish miles (almost exclusively off-road) and less than 0.75 stretch, but not much less. Chain gets cleaned as often as required and lubed every ride. Mucoff Wet lube in the wet and Squirt in the dry. I’ve just run out of Squirt so I’m currently using Mucoff Dry, I prefer the Squirt; it seems to coat the chain better. I’m considering changing to Putolene wax but it’s a pretty labour intensive regime that requires 2 or more chains. I’ll probably do it when I have to replace the cassette and get a coupe of new chains at the same time.

Related Articles

Advertisers