Which eMTB? Occasional rocky hill use; usually for commute.

Markek

Just Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Dartington
Hi, I want to buy sthg for myself that'll last and perform, so high(est) quality; have just sold a house so feeling plush, but need advice please as a new field for me. Needs to be good for daily commute / shop etc on road, as well as weekend fun, including some off-road on rocky, hilly ground. I live in a generally hilly area - Devon / Dartmoor.

Any makes / models come to mind particularly that fit that balance?

I'm currently v unfit. I want sthg I can use without motor as much as poss at start, but can use motor to kick in for the many limiting hills around. What is the highest power / most reliable motor available? Yamaha /Bosch / Other?
And the longest-lasting /fastest-charging battery?

Also - in folks' experience, is there a big bonus in dealing with a shop rather than a web-based purchase?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
I chose Yamaha because I used to race them in moto x, so like the brand. I chose Haibike after reading so much info on all the available bikes. I chose a shop that was within a shortish drive as they are only guarenteed (parts replacement) at the shop you buy from. Because of this I wouldn't have bought off the internet from a supplier hundreds of miles away.
I hope this helps?

Reactions: StewC and LeighPing

Markek

Just Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Dartington
Thanks :) I read in another thread someone talking about Yamaha motors sometimes being noisier than Bosch - have you found that?

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Next door neihbour bought a Cube Bosche and to me it sounded a bit noisier than mine. His was brand new when I tried it. Mine seems to be quieter now its done 150 miles?
I must add that they are both really quiet. Noisey is too harsh a word!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Go to a shop.

I found Haibike to be lovely, Yamaha yes, ignore the Bosch whisper.

Remember Bosch make 3 motors:
The not very powerful one
The one that's a bit more powerful
And the one that's still not as powerful as a Yamaha.

Your check book will decide what you get.

You will start with the motor on and you will keep it on for a long time, but you will have more enjoyment that you have had in a long time.

Cusmonkey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2016
Bristol
Im new to this myself and nothing can beat trying as many bikes as you can while narrowing your search. I've tried both Bosch and Yamaha and decided to go with the Yahamha (haibike). I didn't notice any real difference in terms of noise but the haibike was the one that gave me the most smiles and had the most torque. I'm picking up Saturday and can't wait to get it dirty!

Derek M Walshaw

Jan 25, 2016
Im new to this myself and nothing can beat trying as many bikes as you can while narrowing your search. I've tried both Bosch and Yamaha and decided to go with the Yahamha (haibike). I didn't notice any real difference in terms of noise but the haibike was the one that gave me the most smiles and had the most torque. I'm picking up Saturday and can't wait to get it dirty!
Which haibike did you get, Because the Yamaha battery looks bigger than the Bosch, and the weight of the haibike is stated around 22.5kg. That compared to my Scott E-Spark 710 at 19.6kg nullifies the extra 5Nm of torque. Mind you the Scott Spark 710 without the motor is rated as one of the best and fastest XC MTB :)

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Remember Boschmake 3 motors:
no they dont there all the same bar the cx which has a smaller case but still the same inside.

Cusmonkey

Jun 10, 2016
Bristol
Which haibike did you get, Because the Yamaha battery looks bigger than the Bosch, and the weight of the haibike is stated around 22.5kg. That compared to my Scott E-Spark 710 at 19.6kg nullifies the extra 5Nm of torque. Mind you the Scott Spark 710 without the motor is rated as one of the best and fastest XC MTB :)
I got the hard seven. I didnt try a Scott but am happy with my Purchase. I do have a fondness for Scott bikes; my first MTB was a Scott Sawtooth and that would have been about 24 years ago!

Derek M Walshaw

Jan 25, 2016
Cheers
I got the hard seven. I didnt try a Scott but am happy with my Purchase. I do have a fondness for Scott bikes; my first MTB was a Scott Sawtooth and that would have been about 24 years ago!
Looking at the specs for the Hard 7, It still weighs 21kg. Mind you there's a bike difference in price. The Scott E-Spark 2016 cost £3500 :)

Related Articles

Advertisers