Which helmet?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Can anyone suggest a good helmet please?

Im looking to buy a good quality helmet for commuting, but I want one more like a MTB helmet with protection down the back of the head, and sides. Im happy to buy a branded helmet although this might not necessarily mean its the best. Adjustable peak might be useful in low sun.

So far I'm looking at the following..

POC Tectal £150

Seven M2 £100

Giro Chronicle £75

Scott Centric MIPS £92

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Kristoffer Hansen

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Specialized Ambush and lower cost comp Ambush. If you crash damage them replacements are discounted by 30%.

Try a few different makes/models as head shapes vary.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Can you buy the MIPS on its own? It sounds like it could be fun, but I don't wan't to look like a prize twat wearing one of those helmets.
I think the MIPS is manufactured into the MIPS helmets?

But its an interesting question as some brands make both a MIPS and a non MIPS version of the same helmet. I wonder if the MIPS part can be added at a later date to the non MIPS version?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: Gubbins

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Not sure about large vent holes on top, not all crashes involve flat surfaced. Very little protection if hitting edge of rock or end of branch.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I got the Bell Super 3R MIPS Helmet and I got mine for £129 from merlin cycles. Its a great bit of kit wouldn't want anything else now. You can wear it anywhere and the chin guard is easy to remove or put on for down hill

Last edited:

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
The OP got me thinking, new lid. Just had delivered a ‘bern watts’ Mips commute lid. Looks like a US baseball hat. I think it will complement the Volt, better than the shown lid that advertises the Volt!

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well I think I've narrowed down my choice to either the Giant Rail or the Giro Montaro which happens to come in a larger 65cm size for big headed folk like me. I think I'd like a bright coloured helmet to help make me visible on the road commute..

Giant Rail

Giro Montaro

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Well I think I've narrowed down my choice to either the Giant Rail or the Giro Montaro which happens to come in a larger 65cm size for big headed folk like me. I think I'd like a bright coloured helmet to help make me visible on the road commute..

Giant Rail

Giro Montaro

I assume your've tried them.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well I’ve just bought myself the Giant Rail helmet. I cycle past a Giant shop each day on my commute so popped in today to try one on.

As someone mentioned earlier I am perhaps a victim of fashion as it does match my Cube Race colours, but it’s a nice visible colour which is what I wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parky
D

Deleted member 22539

Well I’ve just bought myself the Giant Rail helmet. I cycle past a Giant shop each day on my commute so popped in today to try one on.

As someone mentioned earlier I am perhaps a victim of fashion as it does match my Cube Race colours, but it’s a nice visible colour which is what I wanted.
Well it’s definitely visible and matches well
As long as it comfortable I would say it’s win win win

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent

I’m liking the choice of titfer :D

Perhaps I’ll go for the Giro Montaro then... :cool:

You should see the colour coordinating Adidas shorts and t shirts I’ve just taken delivery of :)

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers