Which step-thru, rear hub motor, integrated battery eBike?

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
I'm looking for a step-thru eBike with a rear hub motor and a central battery (not on a rear rack). I'm wanting a battery which is more than 500 Wh so I can do a 50 mile cmmute. I've narrowed it down to: Wisper Wayfarer, Juicy Roller, Volt Burlington. The Wayfarer has the largest battery (700 Wh), the Roller has a torque sensor which might help its 580 Wh battery. The Burlington has a 504 Wh battery which might struggle to do the distance. My local bike shop is a Juicy dealer. I'd probably need to ditch the suspension seat post on the Roller because it's quite a tall bike, and the step-thru is higher than the other two bikes. All 3 are UK companies. The Burlington has the SpinTech hub (made by Bafang). I don't know the torque rating. The Roller and Wisper motors are made by Aikema and are allegedly 55 Nm and 50 Nm respectively.

They'd probably all do the job, but any comments about pros and cons, or other options?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
All good bikes, my advice would be to try all three first, it’s a big investment.

All the best, David
Good advice. On reflection I think the Wisper 705 is a contender even though it carries the battery on the rear rack. The Wayfarer is more of an off-road/trail bike whereas the 705 is more of a road bike. The 705 also has a proven torque sensor.

Can I ask what the seat tube angle of the 705 is? I prefer a more slack tube. It does look to be around 70 degrees which would suit me. Thanks.

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
Hi Paul, it's 72 degrees, I hope that helps?

All the best, David
Thanks for the info. 72 Degrees by modern standards is certainly not steep, although i was hoping for a little bit less. It would be nice if Ebike manufacturers published the frame geometries of their bikes. It would make comparisons easier and help customers to choose the right size bikes for them. Measurements such as BB drop and virtual top tube can be important for customer fit.