Why Derailleurs gears?

derailleurs or hub

• Total voters

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am warming to the new C.12 pinion. Waiting on d9veh's test of the new 1.4 kg Xiongda which, equipped with a singlespeed freewheel, would be quite a nice combination for my future project... Quite a bit lighter together than a normal hub motor with cassette or freewheel and front crankset.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
My 7-speed Shimano hub gear is faulty. I found out when removing the wheel to mend a puncture, not so easy as Sturmey-Archer to disconnect. Going back to derailleurs as first choice.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Nexus 8 has much better press. It would mean changing your shifter but as you're already going to have to do that I would go to 8 gears and the SunRace 11-40 extended range cassette. All the gears an e-bike would ever need.

If there are any Shimano engineers Googling this site: We need a 7 gear 11-40 cassette with equal spacing between gears for ou e-bikes please! 11-42 as an option...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Buy decent derailleur eg deore 9spd should do it. Sunrace do 11-40t cassette if you need to climb steep hills.
I've upgraded from altuis to deore, huge difference in quality of shifting.

D

Deleted member 4366

Get an.alfine 8 and then never , ever look back
That's right. You can't look back where you want to fit your motor! It's a shame they don't make a front wheel version of the Alfine 8 speed. I'd have one then.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's right. You can't look back where you want to fit your motor! It's a shame they don't make a front wheel version of the Alfine 8 speed. I'd have one then.
There have been a few two-wheel rowing action handcycles, so Alfine 8 in the front wheel and motor in the rear is possible, and novel.

D

Deleted member 4366

There have been a few two-wheel rowing action handcycles, so Alfine 8 in the front wheel and motor in the rear is possible, and novel.
Something to look forward to, then!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I haven't used a hub gear for over 20 years but a mate with a Rholloff
Swears by them . Derrailiers' chain obviously needs to flexibly derail and a hub gear can allow a higher quality straight running chain to be fitted. If riding in muddy conditions then a hub is a great option, after all they have come a long way since the days of sturmey archer.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Got my Rohloff bike back in 2004, done a few cycle tours on it from Manchester to Scotland via the Lake District.

There is no way that I would go back to using a derailleur geared bike.

When the time comes, I will be using the Rohloff on my first ebike, just a case of waiting for the right Bafang Max Drive bike to come along, as a suitable host!

Also just noticed that Rohloff have announced that electric shifting will be available from 2018, with a Cam-Bus controlled E-14 Shifting device, for Ebikes using the Bosch motors.

That's pretty cool and paves the way for a lot more Rohloff equipped Ebikes to come along.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Robbieg

Advertisers