Why does every eBike seem to advertise a 20-30 mile range?

30 miles range = what Wh capacity battery?

• 100Wh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200Wh

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 300Wh

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 400Wh

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My 36v 11ah battery I reckon is approx. 396wh.
When new it would get me 45miles in mixed road terrain with elevation gain of about 2500ft, now it is a bit older range varies 30 - 38 depending on which mode I cycle in.
During winter range is less 25 miles, spring/summer range is more 30+.
Today on a fairly blustery day I rode from Crawley to Dorking and up to Boxhill via the zigzag and got 30 miles before I hit lvc nr Abinger.
A few stats;
  • Age 53
  • Weight 13st,4oz.
  • Bike; 700c Boardman mx with Oxydrive cst kit.
  • Hub HT bafang cst.
  • lcd; mode 3 assist 5.
  • Weather bright and blustery 10/12 mph head wind.
  • Elevation gain 515m /1700ft
  • Av spd 16.77mph
  • Max 38.74 mph
  • Rider input , Sporty likes to peddle a lot.
  • Attire; non lycra, baggy mtb trousers and fleece lined riding jacket.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Last summer I got 36 miles, with battery to spare, riding around Penzance area. This was over a whole day with 4-5 tea and cake breaks. (Hey, I was on holiday):rolleyes:
Last week I did a hilly 22 miles, around my home in West Wales, and got home with only the one red light left. Only one break on that ride.
It seems to me that there is voltage recovery during breaks that can help range.
Approx 540Wh battery
Ezee front hub
I'm 70ish Kg
Wear a cycling jacket and flappy waterproof trouser/or shorts
Use mostly assist 2 and pedal 12-14mph.on the flat.
Also turn power off on descents or flats.
Having said all that I've never run out of battery as my legs or my bum run out first.:p

Artov

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2017
cambridgeshire
I do a tour of local pubs at the weekend which is only about 10 miles and can do 2 weeks between charges on my Zephyr B. 3 may be possible but I don't want to risk it so get around 20 miles with one bar left. But then I am over 100kg but there are only moderate hill changes. What I was not sure about was how much assist I was actually getting, not being a cyclist and having no reference points. Yesterday I met up with a mate and we were cycling between pubs. He is a regular long distance cyclist (not pedelec) and when I looked over my shoulder I had left him 50 yards behind as soon as a head wind appeared. Clearly I have a lot more assist than I realised. I may convert him now he has seen the difference!

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I do a tour of local pubs at the weekend which is only about 10 miles and can do 2 weeks between charges on my Zephyr B. 3 may be possible but I don't want to risk it so get around 20 miles with one bar left. But then I am over 100kg but there are only moderate hill changes. What I was not sure about was how much assist I was actually getting, not being a cyclist and having no reference points. Yesterday I met up with a mate and we were cycling between pubs. He is a regular long distance cyclist (not pedelec) and when I looked over my shoulder I had left him 50 yards behind as soon as a head wind appeared. Clearly I have a lot more assist than I realised. I may convert him now he has seen the difference!
.. best advice would be to charge the battery after each trip. This stresses the lithium battery less. This is exactly contrary advice than would be appropriate for an older chemistry battery.

• Agree
Reactions: Artov

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Artov, one way to squeeze more miles out of your Zephyr-2017 is to select a low assist level 1, 2 or 3, then when you need more power, use throttle to top up when going up hills. Over time, your legs get stronger and you'll need the throttle less and less.

Reactions: Artov

Artov

Jan 9, 2017
cambridgeshire
Hi Artov, one way to squeeze more miles out of your Zephyr-2017 is to select a low assist level 1, 2 or 3, then when you need more power, use throttle to top up when going up hills. Over time, your legs get stronger and you'll need the throttle less and less.
Yes I must admit I do go straight to level 5. Time to man up a bit!

Artov

Jan 9, 2017
cambridgeshire
.. best advice would be to charge the battery after each trip. This stresses the lithium battery less. This is exactly contrary advice than would be appropriate for an older chemistry battery.
Fair enough. I'll try doing that. Especially when I start cycling to work which is a 20k round trip.

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Last summer I got 36 miles, with battery to spare, riding around Penzance area. This was over a whole day with 4-5 tea and cake breaks. (Hey, I was on holiday):rolleyes:
Last week I did a hilly 22 miles, around my home in West Wales, and got home with only the one red light left. Only one break on that ride.
It seems to me that there is voltage recovery during breaks that can help range.
Approx 540Wh battery
Ezee front hub
I'm 70ish Kg
Wear a cycling jacket and flappy waterproof trouser/or shorts
Use mostly assist 2 and pedal 12-14mph.on the flat.
Also turn power off on descents or flats.
Having said all that I've never run out of battery as my legs or my bum run out first.:p

I can ride my bike for a few hours before I have to think about my battery. It is a 27 amp hour which was made using 3 frog batteries soldered together to make one big giant battery. d8veh did all the wiring for me and has never let me down.