Wiggle Rough Ride

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not long to go, and the weather looks promisng. :)

I've booked onto the 28mile 'standard' route. For some reason depending upon where you look, the route is stated at 25miles, 27miles, and 28miles.

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/preinfo/ukce-wss-srr-pre-2014.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wiggle Southern Rough Ride 2014 - Important Pre-Information - PLEASE READ&utm_content=Wiggle Southern Rough Ride 2014 - Important Pre-Information - PLEASE READ CID_34bbe016914f2a35b28e578b18b0dc0b&utm_source=E mail Newsletter&utm_term=Event Pre-Information Pack

The bike is cleaned and prepped ready to go and I even thought that I'd splash out a new pair of Slim tubes especially for the day. The old tubes both had more patches than tube.

Loaded and waiting. Just hope that I remember to bring the battery out of the house in the morning. :)

Odd that I'm taking tools that I wouldn't normally bother with, and even a spare cobra tube, which again something that I don't normally bother with. Whilst the bike has the CE approval on the frame, I'm also taking the written EC declaration of conformity with me just in case of any problems. It'll be interesting to see if there are any other e-mtb's on the ride, or whether my taking part in the event is something that doesn't normally happen.

Last years event.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHQZLUAj_Y

Judging by the amount of overtaking that this guy does, I first wondered if this was an e-mtb, but it isn't. Just one hell of a fit rider.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Ol-uNXdso

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sure to be some snidey remarks, although presumably as a mountain bike event there is no mass start.

I've had quite a few comments on fun rides, particularly early on when there's more of you together.

A mountain bike event is likely to be more single file, so less opportunity for the other riders to be nasty to you.

Those Wiggle events look quite good, reasonably priced with a a fair bit of 'free' stuff on offer.

A spoke thought - I take it the last pic is the bike in your van?

Gripping the wheels like that is a poor idea, even more so if the bike can sway from side to side as it might in a trailer.

Bike stands of that design are sometimes known as 'wheel benders'.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks Rob, proper write up later, but there wasn't one adverse comment. All the comments were positive and fun. :)

Ref the wheel, the wheels aren't touching the sides, only the tyre is, and the bike is locked solid so can't move anywhere. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The start of the review, I'll expect I'll think of more things as time goes on.

Gates didn't open officially until 7.30am, but I was there ten minutes early just to be sure of getting a good spot to park.
Registration couldn't have been simpler or more efficient, and once this was done and the helmet checked and tagged, I made my way to the start.
Because of how wet that it has been, I figured that with over 700 riders, things could get very muddy quickly, so I made sure that I was in the first group of riders to go. Typical for me, as they were also some of the fastest. Groups left at 2 minute intervals.
The first mile was on the road and nice and flat, then the first many lengthy climbs began. The overall ride distance ended up being 30miles, and I really had to work hard to get the battery to last, and gambled when to use it and when not to. The last 5 miles were on completely empty with the battery warning blinking.
The first ten miles seemed okay, nothing too hard going in respect of mud, still plenty of long climbs though. After the first stop I had only used a quarter of the battery life, and figured that although I was still unsure of the route distance, I'd risk using more power.
The next 10 miles saw me taking two tumbles, the first on a long climb when I decided to play around a bit whilst being held up and popped a wheelie. The bike looped straight over!!! Slightly embarrassing!
The second off happened when I tried to cross ruts at about 25KPH. Down I went. Judging by the skids marks cut into the grass, I wasn't the only one.
The next section and several other sections took us into very narrow, wooded off camber pathways, with a seemingly thousands of slippery routes. This was horrid to ride, as the pace was pretty quick, with a barbed wire fence running the length of one side. I couldn't help but look at the wire, and one lad took a big tumble into it and cut himself big time.
This out of the way it was yet more long climbs, followed by more long climbs. The climbs certainly outweighed the descents.
Because I'd left sharp, the mist hadn't really cleared from the top of the South Downs, but boy was the wind strong. Of course it would have to have been a head wind.
Much of the second half of the ride was spent on wet chalk and flint, which really canned the bike big time, and the chain became as dry as anything and mirror polished. The side stand also snapped off as did the front mudguard.
I also had an issue with brake squeak which didn't show up yesterday, but irritated me today. The front mech also jammed, so I couldn't select the Granny ring. This I discovered when washing the bike, had simply been chalk blocking everything.
There were countless punctures, so I was grateful for the slime tubes, I saw one chain snap, and another lad who fell braking his collar bone.
Although not 'officially' a race, the event is still timed, and I had hoped to try for a good result. This idea didn't last long as I stopped to ask if other riders were okay when they had broken down, and just to offer help.
I didn't take that many photos as there just didn't seem the chance and the weather wasn't clear enough.

More later, but here are some photos to start.

Ten mile stop and still smiling, even a clean bike! This stop also taught me that high energy drinks make me want to puke. Handy after having tipped away my water.

Half way up a climb.

With this still to go, or so I thought until I got around the corner only to see it go on and on. They all seemed like this.

Sadly not a clear view.

The finish.

The poor bike.

In relation to comments, everyone was very complimentary and cheerful, and I might have even converted a few riders to consider e-mtb's.
From talking to other riders and officials, no one had ever seen an e-mtb enter the event before, and I certainly never saw any other bikes. It does make me wonder why people buy them, then don't use them for this kind of fun. Not that I'm going to worry about that, as it just means potentially less hassle for me. I've already entered my next two events. :)

Last edited:

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Great write up Eddie, and pics... but where was everybody? I envisaged wall to wall MTB’s with a 700 entry list! Good to hear only positive banter, I think it would be that sort of reception will encourage others to follow, I’d certainly consider it,... if fit enough!

Had similar problems with gears jumping/slipping on the ridgeway, the other week, same thing clay/chalk clogging up the cassette.

Thanks for including the map, I’ve transferred the Short route onto my Satmap GPS, I’ll give it a go in a few weeks, when clay & chalk has dried out a bit!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
berkobennie, I'm sure that you will love it, and if you contact me when you want to do it, I'll try and come along to. :)

I was also expecting to see hundreds of people bunched up etc, but they seem to have it so well organized that it does happen. In fact when I left at lunch time, there was still people setting off.

Genuingly there wasn't one negative remark, and infact even lads on bikes that must have cost twice the cost of my bike, wee showing a positive interest.
Fitness is a tough call, and I was fine up until approx. the 24mile mark, the remaining six miles were hard, especially with knowing that the battery could die at any moment.

I did surprise me though at the amount of bikes that I saw with punctures. I didn't count them, but it seemed like an endless amount.

More pretty empty photos.

One very dry chain.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There's no throttle Ian, just pedal assist. :)

I had to really ration it out to complete the ride, and for some reason my trip had chosen not to work, and the second feed station wasn't where I had expected, so any chance of gauging the distance left was ruined.
I just pedalled as much as I could, and used ECO mode for the rest. Not that I've ever noticed any difference between the modes anyway.

The next two events are already booked up. :)

edit... Just checked the times and bearing in mind that I stopped to help a few people and take the odd photo, I came 33rd out of 207 who completed my distance. The time was 3.32 hours and the fast lads had finished an hour and a half before me. The slowest time was about six and a half hours.
One lad that I spoke to before the ride, said that himself and three of his mates had been doing the ride three times a week, as they wanted to clean up. He suggested that I rode with them, but I laughed it off and declined. I think that he thought that I could do the whole ride on battery power with no effort.

One thought that I did cross my mind, was that the BH doesn't stand out as an e-mtb, and I do wonder if I'd have got the same friendly reaction had I been on a Bosch mid drive bike. Alot of comments were made about how un electric that the bike looked, and also just how quiet/silent that it was. Two aspects that the Bosch bikes are never going to be.
I also had an interesting comment from someone who was impressed by just how far electric bikes had come, as he had looked at them in the past, but was put off by cost versus component spec.That sounds pretty familiar.
Today has made me realise that low key is the way to go, and that the BH is a keeper.

Last edited:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Looks fun, one of my friends wants me to do one of these rides with him but never wants to actually book it lol did 42.1 miles today around london.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Pleased the job went well.

I think you may be right about a stealthy ebike attracting less adverse comment.

Also, mountain bikers tend to pit themselves against the trail rather than each other, so they are not so worried about what other riders are doing.

I'm with you on high energy drinks.

I quite like the taste as they are spicy rather sweet or sickly, but they can make me feel sick later.

And just the thought of one of those gel things puts me off, although I've never had one.

My view is if I can't do the ride with regular nourishment, I shouldn't be doing it all.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Nice one Eddie, you did well saving your battery over that distance. Regarding e-bike comments, I don't think it's just the stealth thing but more likely the fact that your bike looks "fit for pupose" built to do just what you were doing. Most folks out there associate the term "electric bikes" with old step thru shoppers complet with wire basket and a tone of lead acid battery's.
Like in an earlier comment, off road riders are a different breed, more friendly with none of the eliteism of roadies, your all working /fighting the terrine rather than each other.
I will have to keep my eyes open for a local event, something I've avoided in the past as you need a helmet to join in. I'm stubborn and always said I won't be dictated to by liberal fascists "my head, my choice" but it might be time to bend a little ;)
Anywho, well done, while you was doing your 30 miles, I was doing a lowly 8 in my local wood, admittedly hard work as I was riding off grid, making some new trails :rolleyes:

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Gringo, you have summed it up very well.

If you can force yourself to wear a helmet for just those few hours, I know that you would really enjoy the event. I'd love to be able to encourage my mates to get out and join me, but they ride on the road, and reckon that MTB riding is too much like hard work. Shame though, as they are missing out big time.

Ref the 8miles. The distance doesn't matter, as it's the getting out there and doing it that counts. Too many people have bikes sitting in the back of sheds unused, and how many e-mtb owners don't even use their bikes off road. I bet there are loads.

This is my next one. :) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series-wiggle-ups-downs-mtb-std-2014/

youtu.be/6YwG8WWtwAs

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
You're an inspiration, PJ - keep the ride reports coming.

My bouncer is fitted with a gng 250w chain drive, but it's too noisy for using in an event like this, although it draws a lot of interest on local rides; such as "Didnt think electric bikes were like that - looks like a proper bike!"; "Goes well, dunnit?".

I'm thinking to see if I can get hold of an Ezee mk2 back Wheel & controller for it - Can't afford another kit, but I lurve that motor.
I have 2 Ezee 14ah flatpack batteries now, so one in a backpack & Bob's yer mum's brother.

Maybe I can find something used or a busted bike:
Last resort, a bpm or cst if the price is right...
Any offers? :)

Reactions: EddiePJ

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Conditions didn't look too bad on the video:
Was it mostly hardpack, or did they choose to show the least mucky bits?

Most importantly - Is there a veterans' section, for us old farts? ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Jack,

Certain sections were pretty muddy, but not bad enough to have people pushing their bikes through. Luckily there was three days of dry weather leading up to the event, which along with the wind, must have made a massive difference.

If you skip to the 7.31 point of this video, it shows what was possibly the muddiest section. When I rode through this point, there were quite a lot of other people doing the same, and I had no choice but to ride the length of it through the water and muddied rut. The annoying thing was that by taking this route, the pedals were constantly scraping the sides of the ruts, which didn't help progress.
13.18 onwards was the best bit of the whole ride for my. The video doesn't do justice to how fast that this section was. It's one of the reason that I'm now upgrading the brakes, as I just hung on and couldn't scrub the speed off. :D You can hear from the video that whoever filmed this was on the brakes for a fair bit of it.

And this was how my bike looked after the event.

With ref to the veterans section, you would have no need to worry. The day is all about fun and had a good mix of all ages of people, including children riding the shorter route. :)
No matter what your pace, there was always someone to have a chat to and ride along with, even if it was only for a short period of time/distance.

Last edited:

Advertisers