Wiggle Ups and Downs April 26th 2014

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Andrew,

From what I have been told, and as far as I'm aware, I'm possibly the only person riding at these events on an e-mtb.

At the last event, which was also my first, I couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. I did intentionally try not to raise attention to myself though by just blasting past people on the climbs. I'd rather just play the game, keep everyone happy and just enjoy a good day out riding with others. :)
The Xtrem is also pretty understated as far as electric bikes go, so I'm not sure that the happy reaction would be the same if you were to turn up on a top of the range Haibike with a dongle fitted.

This was the last event. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/wiggle-rough-ride.17042/

Last edited:

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
I took my Xtrem up to a local trail centre today - Sherwood Pines. It was my first time out on it at this sort of place, and myself and a friend went directly to the red route.

He was on a normal MTB, and we encountered more confusion than anything else, "why would you want an electric bike?" being the most common question. Followed by, "it's cheating, lol" and "that's really, really heavy." You'd think it was made of super dense dark matter or something, with all the weight comments.

I just told them I'm a bit of a speed freak and shrugged.

I found the bars way too narrow, and my confidence lacking with some of the fast downhill stuff and jumps. I do have some 680mm Crank Brothers bars on the way from CR. Felt like they were going to buck out of my hands, and my thumbs really hurt!

Eddie, how do you feel about the fast, rocky, rooty stuff? Are our bikes just too damn heavy for these trails?

I'm considering Cannock as it's less than an hour away, but do not want to be out of my depth. These Wiggle rides look great, but they're a long way down south for us northerners.

Reactions: rippedupno1

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
[quote="Backin5, post: 214762, member: 11184 It was my first time out on it at this sort of place, and myself and a friend went directly to the red route.
.[/quote]
Might have been politic to have done a couple of blue routes first - I've had mostly good response to my bouncer, partickly when I apologise for the whining gearbox (it's a gng with steel gears).

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Backin5

It wasn't until I switched to the wider bars, that I realised just how narrow and useless that the original bars are.
The biggest different though is one that you won't want to hear, and that is binning the original front forks in favour of the Rockshox Reba's. That change still amazes me with every ride. It's a shame that you weren't closer, as you could have tried my bike out. The Rebas aren't far off half the weight of the OE forks, and the difference really does show. Pedaling down hard, the front just effortlessly lifts, and the bike is now very easy to get to hop over things, rather than just plow into them!

With reference to the fast, rocky rooty stuff, changing the from the original Continental explorers to the Panaracers made a big difference there.
There was nothing wrong with the Continentals as an original spec tyre, but after changing from them, I suddenly stopped falling on my backside, and both my speed and confidence increased. I'm still not a very fast or confident rider though, but I reckon that age and self preservation have as much to do with that one.
I still hate roots, and I don't think that my Pannaracers are the best at dealing with them, but again it could just be down to lack of confidence on my part.
We don't seem to have much in the way of rocky stuff down here, so I can't really answer that one.

Sadly despite the name, these bikes aren't designed for anything other than light trail use, but in some ways that also adds to the fun. :)

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
Yes, I made sure I'd upgraded the fork before going anywhere near a proper trail. The Suntour now resides on the Mrs's Cyclamatic where it improves things no end, oddly enough.

I don't seem to be able to link to it off my iPad, but I started a thread in the 'technical' section regarding getting more off road out of that particular Chinese bone shaker...

I do wonder if something like a Haibike AMT or one of the the flashy KTM's would fare any better flying down a mountain? Or be stuck with the same weight issues?

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well it looks as though the weather should prove to be nice and wet for tomorrows event, and looking at the video below from the 2012 event, it does get pretty muddy. :)

Still time to book up for it if anyone else fancies it.

The downside for me is that my knee pain has been getting increasingly bad over the last two weeks, and it was confirmed yesterday that I have worn the cartilage out in both knees. :(

If I hadn't had already paid to ride the event, I probably wouldn't be doing it.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
How did it go Eddie? Hope your knee held out.

I see there's another one lined up for June, I'm thinking of taking part in that one on a Focus Thron out of our Shoreham showroom, if we have any left.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Tim thanks for asking. I'd gladly ride with you, although being on the Focus Thron, you would definitely have to wait for me. ;) I have to eek out as much battery as I can from the compromise BH.

The Focus Thron would be an excellent choice of bike. You would also be potentially putting other e-mtb dealers to shame by endorsing a product that you sell. With the positive reaction that I once again received today, you might even come away with some potential sales in the bag. :) At both events that I have completed, amongst the general interest, two separate riders stated that they are currently watching youtube clips and are looking at sites, to work out what is out there. I'd liked to have made time to have talk things through with them, but I wanted to stay ahead of a group of other riders.

My next Wiggle event is only in a few weeks time, 17th May. I was kind of hoping to rest my knees, but I guess that I'll now just have to carry on getting out every other evening training again.

The ride went kind of good and bad.

The bad being that I inadvertently did the epic route of 32miles rather than the planned shorter route of I think 21miles. This was bad as the mud had been horrendous and there wasn't a hope in hell of me ever getting to the end of the ride with any battery power left. Sure enough I didn't!
The riding without a battery was very tough, but my issue was with my knees. On some sections pretty much everyone had to walk, and my knees don't like walking. I also felt every gear change on the drive home.

Anyway, the event itself was superb, and I'm really starting to make good headway in relation to speed on rough down hill sections, and was finding myself held up a fair bit.
What did make me laugh was that towards the end of the ride I had a lovely carrot on a stick incentive to keep moving. I ended up following and talking to a lycra glad girl who had slowed to wait for a friend (who never caught up)
She was saying that she was taking the event easy as she had an MTB race to take part in tomorrow. Talk about making feel bad, I was fooked and couldn't try any harder!!!! :) Many sections people were actually pushing their bikes down hill, as the mud was simply too thickly caked onto the bikes. The puddles were also massive and after watching one lad go through one which went almost half way up the wheels, I suggested to another rider that came along, that he tried a different side. I had to control my laughter as first the front wheel, then back wheel disappeared! I carried my bike across.

The course took in very varied terrain including mud, rocks, roots, flint, chalk, grass and sand.

The route.

This stream bed was the best bit of the course for me. It took loads of concentration, but was really fast and fun to ride.

This hill wasn't that steep, but everything before it had been, and pretty much everyone walked it, including me with no battery!

Squared off muddy tyres. Note the new mudguard. The crap Topeak has gone into the bin.

The finish.

And probably the muddiest e-mtb to date.

I could hardly change gear. The new chain doesn't look great either.

The brakes suffered badly, I think that I probably almost got through a set of pads today. I did managed to have a couple of OH S**T moments in relation to descending too fast, and then having to turn at the bottom. I wasn't the only one to do this though.

And of course me...

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly it also shows up the ever increasing wear and tear.

What did amaze me was that despite the bike having a new chain and me cleaning it off and oiling yesterday, I decided today that I'd give the chain cleaning bath that I bought from Lidls a few weeks ago a try. I couldn't believe just how much more crap came out from it. So that was my lesson learnt for today. Just because a chain looks clean, doesn't mean that it is.

I think that I might have also managed to fix the error 13 code that has been halting my fun for the last few weeks. It looks as though moisture had got between the console and it's mounting bracket. I hadn't put any silicon sealant between the two when I replaced the previously broken bracket.

One thing that has pleased me, is that normal aches and pain aside, I feel none the worse for yesterdays ride. :)

Tim, this is the next event that I'm booked onto. http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/devils-mtb/
I had thought that it was a Wiggle event, but it's actually a UK Cycling Events one. They normally run in conjunction with each other, but for some reason this one isn't.

Now this one looks well worth doing in November. :)

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie

I did a good part of the Purbeck Hills whilst camping down that way last year. Did it on a regular bike, excellent spot. Nice big climb at the start.

I was actually thinking of looking at going on this ride, not decided yet but may be a good way to get the blood flowing before winter sets in.

Anyway, fancy joining up for the Devils ride? looks right up my street.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sounds like a plan. :)

And at least it's nice and local.

As said to Tim though, the BH battery range is crap, so I have to pedal a fair bit of the ride to make it last. So if you aren't in any hurry.... :)

The Purbeck one is a bit of trip for me, so I was thinking that I'd take the family along and book in somewhere for the night, and then go out exploring the area the next day.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Sounds like a plan. :)

And at least it's nice and local.

As said to Tim though, the BH battery range is crap, so I have to pedal a fair bit of the ride to make it last. So if you aren't in any hurry.... :)

The Purbeck one is a bit of trip for me, so I was thinking that I'd take the family along and book in somewhere for the night, and then go out exploring the area the next day.
Eddie

No problem on speed, I am happy at any speed. As long as I don't have to walk too much.

May sign up, just need to check on what the family are doing.

Give your knees a good rest. Your photos are looking good.
Shall keep you posted on potential sign up.

Advertisers