Winter DIY - Heated grips

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
In time for christmas holiday I have the best DIY fix here.

Heated handlebar grips! It is a great thing to do with ebikes, since you have the power. You just need some heat pads and some basic skills to pull it off.

I ordered some standard heated pads for motorcycles (or snow mobiles) rated 12VDC and 15W. Connected to my battery at ~40VDC then.

First I tried serial connecting them (~20VDC/pad) but I thought the pads would fry so I thought a step down converter is necessary, a buck DC-DC-converter, like this:

Everthing connected through a switch and a standard car inline-fuse holder for mini ATC-fuse (I had a 5A lying around, but would need a smaller one). Looks like this one:

Have connected the pads in serial, and runs the DC-converter at about 12-13 VDC or so. It is great for autumn use, but I think I will increase it to 18 VDC when it gets colder.

It actually works as a charm. Don't know how much it affects battery time. Use it for commuting so no worries. If battery time is critical, like I have forgot to charge it. I can only switch them off.

Have hidden the electronics in the saddle bag along with the motor controller. Can't see this mod if it aint for the extra cables in front.

They are to be used directly on the handlebars but I wanted to put them on the grips instead. Used this aluminium foil tape for extra effeciency, and actually, not shown on photos. I have a layer of electrical tape on the alu tape and thus underneath the pads. A little safety precaution, probable not needed. And then electrical tape on top of all.

Will only have it during winter time. Remove it later. Maybe I will do something nicer to next winter. But it actually works great, have used for two weeks now. One days was -10 Deg C and then it was not enough, but it is only a matter of compromising between heat and battery time! Great stuff this for winter commuting.

_1010487.jpg

_1010490.jpg_1010489.jpg_1010486.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh not really needed in a lot of the UK and another gimmick to have, a good pair of Lobster gloves are more then warn enough for me.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Today I increased the power a little. Tuned up to 18 Volt. Have some photos and measurements here to complement the initial post.

! Warning ! The installation is not nice to the eyes, very temporary this, I will have it a few weeks now only :)

First we can see the controller and dc-regulator. On the rack you can see the paper I have wrapped the regulator in, and then put in the plastic bag there.

_1010821.jpg

And here is the front joints.

_1010822.jpg

So I measured now 17.91 Volt DC at 0.87 A (battery voltage about 41V). That gives about 15.6 Watt. So that is according to spec. Now they get quite warm. Will use thinner gloves than I use to do now.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There are some people with very poor circulation, even in the UK . There is a medical condition called Raynaud's , so rather than poo pooing the idea, be grateful that you do not suffer. Fortunately I do not suffer from it and simple woollen gloves do fir me.

Reactions: Gringo and JPGiant

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
I commuted in Winter for many years by motorbike and bicycle.

The biggest epiphany for me, after buying lots of expensive gloves, overmitts, and running heated grips and/or heated gloves on my motorbikes was this:

If you concentrate on keeping your body core warm, your extremities benefit far more than heating the locally.

In practice a heated waistcoat on the motorbike, drew less power, and had far more effect, than heating my hands.

My advice would be to spend the money on decent insulating and windproofing layers for your upper body than on heated gris on a bicycle. If you have to heat anything, look at adapting a heated vest/waistcoat instead.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I commuted in Winter for many years by motorbike and bicycle.

The biggest epiphany for me, after buying lots of expensive gloves, overmitts, and running heated grips and/or heated gloves on my motorbikes was this:

If you concentrate on keeping your body core warm, your extremities benefit far more than heating the locally.

In practice a heated waistcoat on the motorbike, drew less power, and had far more effect, than heating my hands.

My advice would be to spend the money on decent insulating and windproofing layers for your upper body than on heated gris on a bicycle. If you have to heat anything, look at adapting a heated vest/waistcoat instead.
I have Raynaud's and I can be comfortably warm in my house and just by taking stuff out of the fridge or freezer can set it off. it’s an over active nerve reaction that reduces the blood flow too your extremities (fingers and toes normally) So keeping your core temp up doesn’t help everyone.
I've found cheap ski gloves work better than my Provis winter gloves at 1/4 the price.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I bought a heated jacket from Ebay when my central heating wasn't working. The heating lasted about 2 to 3 hours from a USB power pack that I made out of recycled ebike battery cells. It was surprisingly warm, but that was in a very cold house with no wind.

The jacket is basically this set sewn in:
I thought one of those might help for my winter motorcycling. I just tried it out. The pads are very flexible. Two of them could be taped to each handlebar. They go instantly quite warm on the full setting of three.

I reckon that if you fixed a pair of pads in each sleeve of your jacket near to your wrist, you wouldn't need anything on the handlebars.

Last edited:

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
If you are having trouble with cold hands, as someone said above, try Lobster gloves. Ok, they dont look great but the difference between them and even ski gloves in terms of temperature is quite amazing.

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I know you can buy heated innersoles for your shoes, but does anyone know if you can buy electric underpants ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I know you can buy heated innersoles for your shoes, but does anyone know if you can buy electric underpants ?
If you can't find any, these work quite well for most people, though I have to admit that it's a bit tight on me - both parts, but especially the lower part:

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
If you are having trouble with cold hands, as someone said above, try Lobster gloves. Ok, they dont look great but the difference between them and even ski gloves in terms of temperature is quite amazing.
I have tried three different lobsters. And many other glowes. When they get warm enough, they are just too clumsy.

I have bad circulation in my hands and feet. But it is normally not a problem. Only when it starts to get really cold. Like when it is -10 Deg C and ebiking, then I want something better.

This is actually quite good I think. I tried it with 18V (in serial) today and it was actually too warm :) not comfortable. Have now set it on 16V. Will be better I hope.
(/edit: 15.97V/0.8A=12.8W for the record)

Here is a photo of completed bike...

_1010826.jpg

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
If you can't find any, these work quite well for most people, though I have to admit that it's a bit tight on me - both parts, but especially the lower part:
I remember seeing those a few years ago, they came in three sizes medium, large, and boasting again.
Now if you could electrify those you'd be roasting....literally !

Darkenergy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2019
I suffer with cold hands at this time of year so have fitted some Oxford Hot Hand motor bike grips. They are heated pads that wrap around grips held in place with Velcro. They work on 12v so got a waterproof 36v to 12v dc adaptor from eBay for around £8 and T’ed into 36v motor battery. They have a handle bar switch which is needed as they soon get hot, this is a big advantage over heated gloves as can easily switch on and off on the move. The pads have small connectors so they can be quickly removed for summer use.

Reactions: Deere John

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
When I was a kid 300 yrs ago I never suffered from cold hands on a bike, mainly because I just used to ride along with them shoved into my pockets !

Reactions: Swizz

Advertisers