Wire split

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
I’ve got a Carrera Vulcan ebike and yesterday the chain came off and ripped the torque sensor wire out of the battery compartment. The wire has actually been ripped apart from the connector so can’t just be put back in.

Is there anyway for me to be able to get the bit of wire that is left in the connector out and put the new bits in?

Thanks for any help.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
The pins will likely have little tangs on them, to hold them in the connector. You will need to use a mini flathead screwdriver to push the tangs down, so each wire can be removed from the connector. Then you will need to put new pins on the cable and then relocate in the connector. A mini crimping tool would help.

Another option would be to resolder the wires together and use some shrinktube for insulation.

D

Deleted member 25121

Strip the black insulation back a bit and solder the wires back together using heat shrink tubing to insulate them.

If you try and get the pins out of the connector you'll likely damage at least one of them.

D

Deleted member 25121

Thanks both. I’ll order a soldering iron and let you know how it goes.
Don't forget the heat shrink sleeving. Put a length of perhaps 2-3cm over a wire leaving a gap of at least 2 cm between it and the exposed copper wire, twist the 2 ends of the wires together, solder them together (you'll need to buy some solder), let the solder cool, slide the heat shrink sleeve over the joint and heat it up with a hot air gun or hair dryer on maximum heat so that it shrinks over the joint. Do this to all 4 wires and wrap insulating tape tightly around the bundle of soldered wires and a few cm along the black insulation.

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
As an update I manged to solder it all together. Not sure if I made it too hot though as I was heating up the wire so that the solder melted when placed on the the wire. I think I was only supposed to heat the wire up a bit and then melt the solder on the soldering iron.

It managed to last the week before the actual sensor casing broke off (it was too also damaged from the chain) and the screws could no longer hold it in place. Halfords managed to get me the part next day (after initially telling me it could be a month) and a nice new one has been fitted. This time I've put loads of Gorilla tape over the wire and covered the sensor casing in loads of hot glue to protect it from the chain. I'll also fit a top chain guide.

Thanks for the help. It at least saved my commute for the week.

Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

As an update I manged to solder it all together. Not sure if I made it too hot though as I was heating up the wire so that the solder melted when placed on the the wire. I think I was only supposed to heat the wire up a bit and then melt the solder on the soldering iron.

It managed to last the week before the actual sensor casing broke off (it was too also damaged from the chain) and the screws could no longer hold it in place. Halfords managed to get me the part next day (after initially telling me it could be a month) and a nice new one has been fitted. This time I've put loads of Gorilla tape over the wire and covered the sensor casing in loads of hot glue to protect it from the chain. I'll also fit a top chain guide.

Thanks for the help. It at least saved my commute for the week.
I'm pleased to hear that you are up and running again.

If even you need to solder 2 wires together again in the future the trick is to:
1. remove 10 to 20mm of insulation on each wire
2. twist the exposed wire together so that they wrap around each other by a couple of turns
3. let the soldering iron heat up enough to easily melt the solder and leave a layer of solder on the tip of the iron
4. place the tip against the twisted wires and place the solder against where the tip touches the wire
5. keep lightly pushing the solder against the joint as the solder melts and flows into the joint
6. depending on the size of the wire and soldering iron tip you might need to flow solder into the opposite side of the twisted wire, the goal is to get solder into all the exposed wire with a small amount of overflow on the outside of the joint

The ends of the plastic insulation might melt back a few mm but no further.

Reactions: richardadc

richardadc

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2013
I thought the plastic insulation melting a bit was me doing it wrong. It sounds like i didn’t get it too wrong for my first time.

Thanks for the information.

Advertisers