Wiring lights - Yamaha Motor - Giant 2016

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
Is the connector & wire on you bike the same as in Setcion / Pic 6 in the PDF link

Mine is Grey & white also - the red / black I mentioned is on the connector that I added (SM 2.5 2 PIN JST) - mine came with male plug at one end - and female socket a the other end - I just lopped off the make plug to create the tails to wire the lights to - the female plug just connects to the grey/ white wired connector on the bike.

To test / use you just need to press the light button on the handlebar controller - the light isn't continuous - and needs the button press

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Is the connector & wire on you bike the same as in Setcion / Pic 6 in the PDF link

Mine is Grey & white also - the red / black I mentioned is on the connector that I added (SM 2.5 2 PIN JST) - mine came with male plug at one end - and female socket a the other end - I just lopped off the make plug to create the tails to wire the lights to - the female plug just connects to the grey/ white wired connector on the bike.

To test / use you just need to press the light button on the handlebar controller - the light isn't continuous - and needs the button press
Yes its the same as the one in the middle. I ordered the female to connect to the male and 12v light is not working for some reason

icecool

Just Joined
Sep 7, 2018
Hi Mike and thank you for this most excellent post. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide these instructions.
I have a 2017 Giant Dirt-E+ 2 and according to Giant the AXA Blueline headlight is compatible with this model. However, the fastening point for the headlight is on the rear end on the fork instead of the front end. Pictured is the rear side of my fork. There is no hole on the front side. Where did you mount your headlight and what is the exact model?

Also, where did you tuck away the cables for the lights into the frame?

Attachments

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
......However, the fastening point for the headlight is on the rear end on the fork instead of the front end.

...Also, where did you tuck away the cables for the lights into the frame?
Hi

I originally had the AXA Blueline 50 installed on the original fork which had the same screw(hole) config as yours.
The bracket fastens on easily - it just rests on the top of the fork with the 'down bracket' hooking over the back to be attached using a short bolt (Can't remember the 'M' dimension) and a spring washer.
I had to adjust and lower the top arm of the bracket to give a bit of clearance - but it's got key bolts on all the joints to do this. - Easy job.

You can see the bracket clearly on this ebay example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/AXA-LED-Front-Light-blueline-50-E-bike-BULK-8712864351014/2118446674?iid=272306778476&_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055

Fitting the cable was straightforwards - just poked it through the brake cable hole at the top of the downtube and fed it down. There's loads of space if I remember rightly - and there's not a lot to snag on.
There's a rubber grommet around the hole - the process is much easier if you pop this out first - then re-fit.

Rear wires - fed through of a gap at the rear of the motor housing and then zip tied up the seatpost to the rear triangle. There's no way to route this internally.

I ended up making a handle bar bracket for the front when I changed forks - the new ones have no screw hole at all
Initially I commuted on the bike as well as off road - and the light was great for the roads and canal banks I was traveling on.
I tried it off road - and it scared the pants off me - just not enough illumination for fast single track at night - not fun at all.

Now I'm working from home - and close to the wilds (very lucky location for MTB) - so the only road I use is a 500m country lane so I've dropped the light completely and am looking around for some higher power replacements.
I've kept all the cabling intact though - hopefully I'll be able to power the new light without having an additional battery pack or recharging to faff with.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike

Reactions: icecool

Advertisers