Wisper 705 step through used price

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We own a pair of Wisper 705 step through bikes, they are approx 6 years old, both in as new condition, one is on its original battery, the others had a new battery approx 18 months back after the original failed. We are going to sell them and buy a couple of fold up bikes. Have no real idea what price to advertise them at, i was hoping for at least £500 each. What do you think would be a fair price. Any advice appreciated

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
£500 each seems a fair price, we would be happy to consider PX on two Wisper 806 folding bikes if they are as new condition. All the best, David

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We are going to try out a fold up bike before we finally decide. It would be great to be able to put them in the car. Thanks for the offer.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Definitely try before you buy, be careful though, a lot of folding bikes have very small wheels and the front wheel is tucked under the handlebars making them twitchy at speed. We have avoided both these pitfalls making our bike very steady and comfortable.

All the best, David

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd avoid any small wheeled folding bike which has a short wheelbase. My Dahon 20" folding bike's wheelbase is 102cm, Bromptons' 105cm. My bike is rock solid stable at 52kph (downhill depicted below) and faster:

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We tried a test ride on fold up bike today, while I was ok on the bike, my Mrs absolutely did not get on with it at all,so it looks like we are going to keep our Whisper bikes, they are great bikes, but to much of struggle to get them in the car if we wanted to take them away. Not the end of the world though. Thanks for the interest and advice.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I find my 20" wheeled folding bike feels twitchy if the handlebars are set too high. Also I believe wide handlebars help.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the advice, but after much thought after a test ride we have decided to stick with our present Whisper bikes, and carry on enjoying them on local rides.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks for the advice, but after much thought after a test ride we have decided to stick with our present Whisper bikes, and carry on enjoying them on local rides.
Interested to know which ebikes you tried. Certainly they ride much differently than full size bikes, but you do get use to them if they are of the longer wheelbase style. I'm 6ft 2in and I can ride a Coyote Connect folder 20in wheels (picked up cheap for £200 in Halfords ex display a few years ago), but it does have a longer wheelbase than some others I have seen. OK I wouldnt want to go touring on it or do big distances, but fine for exploring a city on day trips

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Coyote Connect folder 20in wheels
Is handlebar height adjustable on that? One of the reasons why I wouldn't buy a Dahon Jetstream EX to convert: it's handlebar height can't be changed, other reasons are lack of mudguards and rear rack... but reportedly, it's full suspension with lockout makes the ride very smooth.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Is handlebar height adjustable on that?
Nope it's an all in one handlebar/stem, no adjustment on height or angle, I guess they do this to cut costs, but surprisingly I get on with it fine, but as mentioned, wouldn't want to do the 70 mile a day week long tours on it (it wouldn't be able to do that with it's crappy 7.8ah 24v battery) that I do on my Boardman Hybrid 700c BBS01 conversion, but for 20 miles or below pottering about on it's fine

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Boardman Hybrid 700c BBS01 conversion
Nice! Proper touring conversion. There's a Merlin titanium frame going cheap online, but I don't like the look of this repair:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Nice! Proper touring conversion. There's a Merlin titanium frame going cheap online, but I don't like the look of this repair:

Yep , be nice to have a Ti frame, but the Boardman is perfect for me on long tours, pretty much got it all setup how l like it now, the last missing piece was a switch to a Selle Royal Respiro saddle, game changer

IMG_20230329_144340435.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm only interested because it's going very cheap - buyers must be avoiding it for good reason lol.

the Boardman is perfect for me on long tours, pretty much got it all setup how l like it now, the last missing piece was a switch to a Selle Royal Respiro saddle, game changer

An Electroheads review (which I stumbled across because Electroheads was mentioned on a thread about a patent dispute) says the shape of Selle saddles make all the difference, and that wide saddles are actually less comfy for very long rides.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yep, I think it's a combination of the royale gel and the shape. Mine's the moderate version, for riders at a back angle of 60 deg. Works well for me, the holy grail of saddles finally found after a decade of looking

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Interested to know which ebikes you tried. Certainly they ride much differently than full size bikes, but you do get use to them if they are of the longer wheelbase style. I'm 6ft 2in and I can ride a Coyote Connect folder 20in wheels (picked up cheap for £200 in Halfords ex display a few years ago), but it does have a longer wheelbase than some others I have seen. OK I wouldnt want to go touring on it or do big distances, but fine for exploring a city on day trips

View attachment 51306
The bike was a Raleigh, not sure of model, was loaned to us from a friend of a friend. She has owned it for 4 years from new. Neither of us felt comfortable on it, glad we got the chance to use it though, going to stick with what we have for now,and forget about taking them on holidays etc. Did do it once,absolute nightmare to get them and luggage in the car.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't know what the wheelbase sizes of Raleigh folding bikes are. Perhaps having another go with that Raleigh, or some other folding bikes would be worth it, considering the packability advantage of using folding bikes? It does seem many recent Raleigh folding bikes can have their handlebars lowered, which in my experience reduces twitchiness on my Dahon. My handlebar is 580mm wide - replacing that with a longer one is something I haven't needed to do, which would also reduce twitchiness. Try a Dahon Mariner at Halfords? I wouldn't buy a Dahon Mariner from Halfords, because they don't use original Dahon parts.

I'd buy a Dahon from here, if buying new:

Last edited:

Advertisers