Wisper 705 T cutting out

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We own a couple of Wisper705 T step through bikes both in immaculate condition, we were looking to swapping them for fold up bikes but after a test ride decided to keep them. Unfortunately one has now developed a problem, it has a tendency to cut out, this tends to happen on going up slight inclines, although it occasionally will out on the flat, screen shows battery is fully charged, but the motor the motor doesn't kick in. Its not a battery issue as the battery is fairly new. Wisper have been very helpful, they think its the controller but don't have any in stock for this bike, they have offered to see if they can repair it, its possibly a resistor which needs replacement. I have manage to remove the controller, not easy some of the cable connections were extremely tight, I did think of swapping the controllers over on the bikes to see if the issue occurred with the other bike but knocked that on the head after the problems disconnecting it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with a Wisper 705 T bikes. Going to send controller off to Wisper tomorrow hoping they can fix it

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Hi.
I have been in touch with Adrian from the support team, he thinks it may be an issue with a resistor on the controller, you don't have any controllers in stock, but he is going to replace a resistor which may be the issue. I did take the bike to Nationwide E-bikes in Taunton, they had it for over a week and couldn't fix it, they did ask your support for advice but just after I collected the bike it cut out again. They put it down to overheating and asked if we carried heavy loads on the bike like shopping, its only used for leisure, they also had the offer of having our other Wisper 705 T bike in to swap parts to find the problem but never took it up. I really don't want to go back there, I am not sure if they are Wisper agents anymore, no Wisper bikes on sale. I'm hoping Adrian can help sort the problem out. The bikes are about 6 years old and in as new condition, I purchased a new battery for one about 18 months back direct from Wisper. The bikes were originally bought from Axcess Bikes in Honiton. I'm hoping the issue can be solved otherwise i have no idea what to do.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi.
I have been in touch with Adrian from the support team, he thinks it may be an issue with a resistor on the controller, you don't have any controllers in stock, but he is going to replace a resistor which may be the issue. I did take the bike to Nationwide E-bikes in Taunton, they had it for over a week and couldn't fix it, they did ask your support for advice but just after I collected the bike it cut out again. They put it down to overheating and asked if we carried heavy loads on the bike like shopping, its only used for leisure, they also had the offer of having our other Wisper 705 T bike in to swap parts to find the problem but never took it up. I really don't want to go back there, I am not sure if they are Wisper agents anymore, no Wisper bikes on sale. I'm hoping Adrian can help sort the problem out. The bikes are about 6 years old and in as new condition, I purchased a new battery for one about 18 months back direct from Wisper. The bikes were originally bought from Axcess Bikes in Honiton. I'm hoping the issue can be solved otherwise i have no idea what to do.
Can you get the bike to Axcess? If it's cutting due to overheating it could be the three bullet connectors. If they are the culprit we can send you a new very easy to fit three in one replacement. It's probably worth talking to Adrian again, say that I have advised you to talk to him on Pedelecs.

All the best, David

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Can you get the bike to Axcess? If it's cutting due to overheating it could be the three bullet connectors. If they are the culprit we can send you a new very easy to fit three in one replacement. It's probably worth talking to Adrian again, say that I have advised you to talk to him on Pedelecs.

All the best, David
I've posted the controller to Adrian today, but getting the bike to Axcess is difficult as its doesn't fit in the car. I'm hoping the repair to the controller will do the job. I will mention the bullet connectors to Adrian in an email.
Thanks for the advice

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Excellent service from Adrian at Wisper repairing the resistor in the controller. Unfortunately it looks like the actual issue is the controller, had it back today after the repair and the while bike no longer cuts out etc, it just doesn't have any pedal power, and very little speed, swapped controller with other bike and its the bike works fine .So I take that needs a new controller. Bigger issue is I accidently pulled one of the bullet connectors off the wiring on the bike. and Wisper don't have a new controllers in stock at the moment.
I really wish I hadn't started now

Last edited:

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Unfortunately the repair hasn’t worked, really appreciated Adrian’s help with repair to resistor on the controller, to make matters worse I broke one of the fiddly bullet connectors. It now needs a new controller and some sort of new bullet connector. Wisper don’t have a new controller, my biggest headache is the bullet connection. I am coming round to thinking enough is enough, I’ll buy a new bike. The 705 t is in excellent un marked condition, good battery, what sort of price could I get for it, I was hoping about £300 as it is. Any advice appreciated

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The connector is a five pin julet, it needs a whole new cable fitted rather then just the connector as the connectors are moulded around the wire connections.

• Agree

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I realise that, just not sure what it's connected to. Once the bike is repaired my days of tinkering with E Bikes are finished. I'm leaving it for the experts at Wisper to help sort it all out

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The five pin/green is usally the display to controller cable .

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
After looking at this I'm sure you are right. Not easy to fit though, will leave that for Wisper dealer to do. My days of home bike repairs are finished...

Forty45

Pedelecer
May 1, 2019
Hampshire
After looking at this I'm sure you are right. Not easy to fit though, will leave that for Wisper dealer to do. My days of home bike repairs are finished...
Was a new controller all you needed?

I'm in a similar situation - seven year old 705T, cutting in and out. Have had the battery completely re-celled and the problem persists - if anything worse.
I've taken the controller apart and found a clearly overheated resistor (there's heat marks inside the case by it too).
I went to Wisper's site to order a new one only to find as you did that they are out of stock - I hope that you aren't still waiting for them to come back in too!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Good morning, have you called Wisper Support? It’s possible the website is out of date.

We have a big shipment of parts that have had to come around the Cape due to the Suez issue. Hence we’re low and out of some parts. Due to the delays we are flying some urgent parts in (including 200 375 batteries ‍). They may be on that flight.

Either was email orders@wisperbikes.com and we will get them out ASAP.

All the best, David

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Was a new controller all you needed?

I'm in a similar situation - seven year old 705T, cutting in and out. Have had the battery completely re-celled and the problem persists - if anything worse.
I've taken the controller apart and found a clearly overheated resistor (there's heat marks inside the case by it too).
I went to Wisper's site to order a new one only to find as you did that they are out of stock - I hope that you aren't still waiting for them to come back in too!
The controller you had wasn't particularly goo, so you can make an opportunity out of your crisis to make your bike much better. All controllers work basically the same, so you can use more or less any you want. One similar in function to your Wisper would be about £40 to £50, or a decent one is about £80. Whichever you get, you need to get its matching LCD with it, and you should run it by us first.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The controller you had wasn't particularly goo, so you can make an opportunity out of your crisis to make your bike much better. All controllers work basically the same, so you can use more or less any you want. One similar in function to your Wisper would be about £40 to £50, or a decent one is about £80. Whichever you get, you need to get its matching LCD with it, and you should run it by us first.
Absolutely, it is possible to use other controllers and some may suit a rider better. Please keep in mind though that throttle and cadence/torque sensor functions may not be supported in the same way as ours. Our software although not completely unique is set up specifically to manage the functions on our bikes. Speed needs to be controlled and our power curves have been set up to give what we consider to be optimal performance power/range.

If you need any advice give us a call.

All the best, David

Forty45

Pedelecer
May 1, 2019
Hampshire
Okay, happy to improve things. Can you point me in the direction of where to buy and what to go for please.
Am I going to have to replace the connectors over too
Absolutely, it is possible to use other controllers and some may suit a rider better. Please keep in mind though that throttle and cadence/torque sensor functions may not be supported in the same way as ours. Our software although not completely unique is set up specifically to manage the functions on our bikes. Speed needs to be controlled and our power curves have been set up to give what we consider to be optimal performance power/range.

If you need any advice give us a call.

All the best, David
Thanks David, I will consider the possibility of downsides to going aftermarket carefully (and any extra modifications to get them working)
I've been quite happy with the bike (up to now!). I'm a rider that wants to use the bike and can happily keep it at 17mph plus if conditions permit.
I have emailed Callum as I'd been in contact with him about the battery, so hopefully he'll be able to update me on the controller availability.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi 4045,

I have checked, the Torque controllers will be in stock on the 15th May. If you could PM me with your name I will ask Callum to give you an update.

It could be that it's simply a resistor has blown, which we can repair. So I would suggest contacting Callum and send us your controller, it could save you money and time.

All the best, David

Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers