Wisper "Off road " switch

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Performance

Quick update:

Fitted off road switch (Thanks David) and wow! Bike really flies.

Interesting that it also boosts the pedelec effort to around 16ish mph on a fresh battery, but nominally 15mph on the flat (except when riding into the wind).

As for the 13ish mph speed in pedelec in normal mode, I think I am just not feeling the boost as much as it is tailing off. Have gotten used to using the throttle to bring the speed up when needed.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Green button

Excellent Zombie, I am delighted it all worked out for you, enjoy your bike, but remember the green button is for off road!

Best regards David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I just had to remove the existing plug (with the jumper wire) and plug in the switch into the junction box on the handle bars.

Haven't looked at the controller other than to disconnect the hub motor when changing the tyre. I did notice that a purple wire (if memory serves) was unplugged. The bike works so I didn't reconnect it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Green button

Hi Guys

Yes the new bikes (2009) with the front connection box accept the green button simply by opening the FCB, taking out the white loop and plugging in the green button.

The purple wire on the controller if connected will disable the throttle only feature and you will have to peddle if you want to operate the twist throttle.

This is just Wisper getting ready for the new EN regs where throttle only will not be legal above 4mph. :eek:

All the best David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
4MPH?! Thats crazy...

Are the regulations available online anywhere?

Will this apply to existing bikes? (I would expect not, but better to know now than when pulled up on it after the fact - as in the eyes of the law, ignorance is no defence).

Oh and thanks for the heads up on what the purple wire does.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Crazy!!

Hi Zombie, tell me about it!! :mad:

This is one of the many many advantages we have of being a part of the European community! :D (and I was a staunch EEC supporter!)

Yes 6kph or about 4mph (walking pace) will be the limit according to the new EN rules and regs. This is mainly to coincide with the carts used by post men in continental Europe that have an electric motor. I beleive any changes to the law will not be retrospective, however if they are you can always plug in the purple wire, or not!

This is still only a recommendation in the UK thankfully but is due (at some time) to be made law.

I am off to Brussels with Mark Loveridge of Ultra Motor on Tuesday when we will be representing our respective companies and BEBA for a meeting with other LEV manufacturers to discuss and hopefully challenge this and other unintelligent restrictions.

I will report back to the Forum.

All the best David

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
It never fails to amaze that anyone would want to legislate on something as innocuious as a powered trolley!

Good luck to you and all the other LEV manufacturers. If changes are to be voted on I will happliy email a few MEPs about it as a 'concerned citizen'.

DanT

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Lanarkshire
Soon to be owner of 905se

Hi all I've been sitting in the wings following all posts on the 905se as I'm due to take delivery of my own as soon as the cycle to work scheme clears the paperwork which will probably be in a week or so, my confusion is the de-restrict button.... Is it supplied or not as I'm hoping it is, Also everyone keeps quoting mph figures, does this mean there's a speedo on the bike or is that an added extra. greatly appreciate any help given...Daniel.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Yes 6kph or about 4mph (walking pace) will be the limit according to the new EN rules and regs. This is mainly to coincide with the carts used by post men that are used in continental Europe that have an electric motor.
no wonder ours are going on strike, if they fear they are to be replaced by electric postmen from Europe because of EU rules :D

seriously I am sure these electric handcarts are already in operational use at Royal Mail so maybe the UK could lobby the whole EU to say there is no need for this, as there haven't been any accidents...

that said how much of the rules do the UK actually have to obey? I vaguely remember CENELEC trying to encourage the adoption of europlugs / electric sockets in the UK for new builds in the 90s but the industry and govt managed to lobby against it....

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Concerned Citizan

It never fails to amaze that anyone would want to legislate on something as innocuous as a powered trolley!

Good luck to you and all the other LEV manufacturers. If changes are to be voted on I will happily email a few MEPs about it as a 'concerned citizen'.
Any help would be great Zombie and emailing MEPs would be useful. We (BEBA) have a meeting in the House of Lords just before the cycle show, when Lord Laird, who is hopefully going top be our voice in the the Lords, is going to listen to our concerns.

I will report back.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Green button

Hi all I've been sitting in the wings following all posts on the 905se as I'm due to take delivery of my own as soon as the cycle to work scheme clears the paperwork which will probably be in a week or so, my confusion is the de-restrict button.... Is it supplied or not as I'm hoping it is, Also everyone keeps quoting mph figures, does this mean there's a speedo on the bike or is that an added extra. greatly appreciate any help given...Daniel.
Hi Dan welcome to the Forum and thanks for buying a Wisper!

You will need to ask your dealer for the green button, we don't fit them as they are only for bikes that will not be used on the public road.

However they are very easy to fit, if you twist the dealers arm they may even be persuaded to fit it for you.

All the best David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Speedo

Hi Dan,

No speedo was fitted to my Wisper, I just added a cheap and cheerful speedo from Halfords.

The speed controller in the bike is what does the clever stuff restricting the speed of the electric motor.

DanT

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Lanarkshire
Thanks both David of Wisper and z0mb13

Hi Dan,

No speedo was fitted to my Wisper, I just added a cheap and cheerful speedo from Halfords.

The speed controller in the bike is what does the clever stuff restricting the speed of the electric motor.
The reasons for asking were to allow me to go to work via a circuitous route to work which entails a 2 mile stretch of off-road trail/gravel path which is quite hilly at parts and with my current level of fitness (read couch potato) would be unattainable without the help of the "off-road button" The speedo is simply to allow me to let me see my time and to pace myself to some degree which I can hopefully build on, Its nice to have somewhere like this forum where there's a knowledge base to sort out some off the newbie questions which will invariably arise. I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of the bike but seen so many posts of the various issues people were having before I realised the timescale they were over, once I clicked to that I settled down again he he. Thanks again gentlemen. . . . Daniel.

Stoughtonman

Just Joined
May 13, 2020
Green Button

The green button has gone now from all new Wisper bikes, you can still permanently de restrict by making an adjustment within the new front controller box.

I must stress that this makes the bike illegal for use on the public road and should only be used on private land.

If you need to know how to make the adjustment please drop me a PM.

The removal of the restrict function reduces range per charge and only allows the motor to help to about 18/19mph. It does not make the motor more powerful.

Regards David

Advertisers