Wisper workshop toolkit?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I have decided that I am going to try and be as self sufficient as possible for bike maintenance - I already do a certain amount myself and its really only stuff like spoke tensioning, re-truing and replacing large drive train components I use mechanics for, although these are skills I intend to learn eventually,

so what sort of tools should I be acquiring for working on the Wisper?

what crank and freewheel extractors should I be purchasing?

I expect I will need a robust socket set and torque wrench to go with all these, does anyone have suggestions? (I've seen some promising looking ones in Screwfix)

Also what sort of workstand is strong enough to hold a Wisper?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've never used a torque wrench or socket set working on the 905, usual tools are spanners and hex keys.
The freewheel remover is a specific one that fits over the large spindle, it's mentioned in a few threads on here.
My crank extractor is a cheap one for about a fiver which does the job well, similar to this:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I managed to get the Park tools 3 way spoke key on the recommendation of people from here and this has the correct size for the 13g nipples..

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
The only time I have used a socket on the Wisper (so far) is taking the nuts of the bottom bracket. It will need to be a thin walled 14 (or was it 15mm) socket. I have a 3/8" drive socket that fits perfectly. Stay clear of the cheap sets. Probably better off buying ratchet and sockets individually if you don't need a full set.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I'm looking for a bottom bracket tool to fit the fixed cup. Anyone know what pattern this is?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm looking for a bottom bracket tool to fit the fixed cup. Anyone know what pattern this is?
It's the 'hammer and screwdriver' pattern. :eek:
You should never have to remove it and then only to replace it with a new one, a new one should go in with little resistance so not requiring a special tool. In theory of course, practice may be different.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
It's the 'hammer and screwdriver' pattern. :eek:
Lol - Ah that old chestnut!

I figured given the way the shaft had worn that the cup would need replacing too, hence why I was looking to remove it. Normally I wouldn't touch it.

I think I will have to make a tool to fit...

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I've been having a bit of a search, and the only six notch tool I can find is this one, I suspect it probably won't fit though :( . Might be worth dropping Norman at Wisper a line to find out what he uses, my guess is that it's some proprietary Chinese version.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Lol - Ah that old chestnut!

I figured given the way the shaft had worn that the cup would need replacing too, hence why I was looking to remove it. Normally I wouldn't touch it.

I think I will have to make a tool to fit...
They are designed to wear a little, mine has as well but not enough to consider replacing it.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
After replacing the bearings its still making the scrunchy/squeaky noise though not as badly. I figure the bearings are wearing the shaft round again. Will have to check it tomorrow.

I clocked that tool too but it didn't look quite right. It might work but I like a challenge and the oppotunity to use the lathe!

On the topic of garage tools, its probably overkill for bicycles alone, but I wouldn't be without a compressor. Not only does it make pumping up tyres a doddle, air ratchets are fun to use.

Advertisers