Wolfram Alpha Live Tonight

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't even go as far as saying it's ok as an encyclopaedia after numerous search failures.

For example, I entered "nuclear fission" and it couldn't do anything with something so basic as that. So I mischievously tried the George Bush version, "nucular fishin" and it still drew a blank. It was the same with many scientific items.

It's also fairly useless for much of the general information outside the United States.

It's could be a very long time before it becomes a Google killer, at present just good at a form of party tricks.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I can answer that.

Ditch Windows and install Ubuntu Linux, it'll never be slow again.
I had that on a laptop until one of my kids trashed it, I did like it. I would dual boot my PC but last time I tried that with Unix it almost bricked the hard drive. :(
I only put Vista on as I need Vista certification for work, I still prefer XP for almost everything. I'll be looking for a new PC in October for Windows 7, that will be fun. :rolleyes:

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
I read a computer speed test report at the dentists, they concluded that if you want to speed up Vista you have to run it from Boot Camp, but that's only available on a Mac.
The idea that Mac's run Windows better than most PC's appeals to me on some base level..

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
I can answer that.

Ditch Windows and install Ubuntu Linux, it'll never be slow again.
Ubuntu fast. :confused: Its painfully slow on my 433 MHz Toshiba laptop.
If you want fast then go for Arch, Vector or Puppy.
If you want safe, easy and a dull brown theme then choose Ubuntu.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I gave Wolfram Alpha a go this morning and in my scientific opinion it's unmitigated shite! :D Just thought I'd share.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I just started watching the video and was impressed (really) the way when he typed Springfield it knew he was in Massachusetts and gave him the local Springfield. Knowing There are a few Springfields in the UK and one a few miles from me I thought I'd see how close it could get, so I input Springfield to Wolfram Alpha.
It returned Springfield Massachusetts. :rolleyes:
There was a drop down menu just in case it didn't get the right location and the only one outside USA was in Canada. Very poor. :(

Advertisers