Wooden bike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've seen one parked in town here (Winchester). Looks very smart, I haven't ridden one.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We used to have wooden decks on ships .. including aircraft carriers, and in the structure of motor cars .. the Triumphs as I recall and in railway carriages. However all areas moved to steel because the damage that splintered wood causes in a collision. The failure mode is is predictable. Whereas a tumble from an aluminium or steel framed bike will result in a bent frame, it will not have end up with a sharp spear in the gut..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We used to have wood in the structure of motor cars .. the Triumphs as I recall
And still have in some instances, most Morgan cars have wooden framed bodies, entirely constructed in Ash. Information Link

And Morris Minor Traveller estate cars had wooden framed rear bodies in relatively recent times:

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And still have in some instances, most Morgan cars have wooden framed bodies, entirely constructed in Ash. Information Link

And Morris Minor Traveller estate cars had wooden framed rear bodies in relatively recent times:
.. forgot about them , I liked the look. Did they call them Shooting Breaks?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Quite a few board manufacturers went back to using wood laminate in their products about 15 years ago. (Australian Pine) It was found to have a great toughness to strength relationship and tended to give boards more feel than carbon,which tends to be really strong, stiff but fragile (on impact).
Combining wood with modern epoxy resins, S glasses and Carbon Fibre can give best of all worlds. Strength, stiffness and toughness. I, d guess technology would be applicable in bike frames.
After all wood is nature's carbon fibre. Difficult to lay up with tho..

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
'Tis a thing of beauty. The joinery is sublime, even if achieved by cnc routing. The old gold coloured fittings are mouth watering. Don't think they'll ever be common, but good luck to him.

Advertisers