Woooh - overexcited...

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
... there didn't appear to be a "gloating" thread so I thought I'd start one. :D

Just got my sprint this morning, charged up the battery, and have just done the 8-mile round trip to see the horse (actually, only 7-and-a-bit miles due to a handy cycle-only cut-through). Now, this is the furthest I have cycled for probably 30 years - since I was a kid, anyway!

What a blast! Completely effortless and such fun - all those pesky hills just FLATTENED! Superb spring afternoon, just a pleasure!

It was wickedly amusing watching a youth become increasing frantic in his pedalling cos he could hear the 40-something fat bird steaming up behind him and he couldn't work out why he was being overtaken.

Anyway, can't wait for tomorrow. I'm going to see to the big ponee twice a day at the moment so I might cycle both times... (Bike is currently in my living room (!) so that I can admire it... v.v sad!)

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Nothing like a shiny new toy to bring out the child in us all, the best bit is when you catch a lycra clad racer giving all he's got on a hill and he looks round when he thought no one was behind, I'll never forget the look on the guys face the first time it happened to me.
And as for having the bike in the living room, well you can do it with an electric one, imagine bringing a petrol powered bike indoors, although I'm sure it's been done.
Glad your impressed, I've been electric biking about a year now and still find it both exhilarating and relaxing.

Ian.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
:D you've expressed the feeling of that first electric bike ride better than I ever could fatmog :) congrats on your new bike & I hope it gives you much fun & freedom!

I did feel guilty effortlessly overtaking two or three bikes and a bus up a long gentle north manchester hill... well a bit guilty at least! :D

Nice to know the feeling lasts too.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Excellent stuff, glad you are enjoying it !

It is interesting seeing other cyclists reactions though. On my way to work I often pass many 'hardcore' cyclists who are amazed to see a commuter bike loaded with panniers catch them up and overtake them.

The funniest times are when you see someone in the distance constantly looking around while pedalling furiously only to see you gaining ground and then pass them without breaking a sweat. I usually slow down and have a chat and then we have chuckle that I'm 'cheating' which restores their ego ;)

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
STILL excited, but...

... first puncture yesterday - absolutely EVIL iron-hard thorn about 1.5cm long. :mad:

Fortunately it happened just outside my destination so I was able to pump up the tyre with a car footpump before my return journey and the slime I installed the day before kept me going til I was a mile from home. I know punctures happen to everyone but I was hoping to achieve more than 18 miles on my shiny new bike before my first one!

Anyway, I have just carried out my first EVER puncture repair with the aid of my little friend the Haynes bike manual, (hopefully successfully, wait and see :eek: ) and installed some anti-puncture tape stuff between tyre and tube.

I would put on the marathon plus tyres that are so beloved of the forum but quite frankly, the thought of removing my wheels fills me with dread. The sprint does come with instructions on how to remove (not disconnect, just remove) the front wheel but it all looks a bit scarey. :eek: And then the rear wheel has hub gears and hub brakes which need disconnecting - I just about got my head around removing a rear wheel with derailleur gears (also with the assistance of Mr. Haynes!).

So gonna put that off for as long as poss. If it all gets too much for a complete novice bike engineer who thinks they've done good if they correctly match spanner to nut, does anyone know of a bike shop in berkshire/hampshire or nearby that can handle electric bikes?

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Fatmog,

Bad luck with that puncture but it's great that you fixed it ok. The wheels on the sprint are not hard to remove, the owners manual covers the front wheel and I'm sure the Haynes manual covers the rear wheel, if you're unsure I'd be happy to post instructions on the main forum. Removal of the rear wheel is easier if you fit a removable link to the chain, the Sram 7/8 speed link is easily available and fits the KMC chain on the sprint (And Torq), its' perhaps best fitted by a shop if you don't have a chain tool.

Disconnecting the gears and brakes are no problem, loosen 1 bolt and pull off the bell-crank (The plastic housing the gear cable goes into) and remove the nut and bolt securing the brake to the frame, leave the cable on the brake.

Any good bike shop should be able to handle the Sprint (Apart from electrical faults that is), most of the components are normal parts that any bicycle mechanic would have knowledge of.

Last edited:

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
Thanks Ian, I'll keep that in mind. Still gonna put off the dreaded moment of wheel removal for as long as poss! :)

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi fatmog
another good tip my son gave me was if you have a mobile which can take pictures then before you start removing the wheels take a picture of how everything was set before you start that should help in case you get stuck nigel:D

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Thanks Ian, I'll keep that in mind. Still gonna put off the dreaded moment of wheel removal for as long as poss! :)
It's well worth doing a few times while you are at home. That way you can take your time and ensure you have the right tools available plus write down (or video!) the steps you take when removing and reassembling.

Then you'll be prepared should the worst happen!

Alternatively ETA do a Cycle Roadside Insurance + puncture cover if you're feeling especially lazy ;)

Advertisers