Would you like a wide version of the forum?

Would you like a wide version of the forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
As it says really, would you like a wide version of the forum where the forum fills the screen horizontally ?

This could be achieved by creating another 'style' which is selectable. So you could choose 'standard' as it is now, or 'wide'.

This would be an individual setting.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
What's the problem ? I just double tap my IPad screen and it's full.
If you make it any bigger I won't see the edges ;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
more choice is good.

Arrow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2013
At least it would give the option of losing the strip of scenery down each side which does not really serve a purpose.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely yes, as with most of us viewing on a computer screen without the instant ability to widen the text area, the loss of the right hand side space is somewhat annoying. Like many I use AdBan so don't see any of the right hand adverts anyway so would prefer it to be useful forum space.

SarahJane

May 15, 2013
The Kentish Alps
In support of my 'no' vote, I thought I would add this:
Research into the readability of text indicates that a longer line is harder to read, which is why many publications such as newspapers break text into columns. (Can you tell I was a librarian in an earlier incarnation?)
However, as long as there is the option to switch to the present arrangement, I will continue reading happily. Perhaps my liking for the shorter line is related to my goldfish attention span?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
In support of my 'no' vote, I thought I would add this:
Research into the readability of text indicates that a longer line is harder to read, which is why many publications such as newspapers break text into columns. (Can you tell I was a librarian in an earlier incarnation?)
However, as long as there is the option to switch to the present arrangement, I will continue reading happily. Perhaps my liking for the shorter line is related to my goldfish attention span?
What did you say? :D

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I'm not really bothered either way, but I vote yes because there are obviously some on here that do want it.
Cant really understand the point of people voting no, because it would be an individual option. Unless you want to stop people viewing the forum in the way they want to.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
At least it would give the option of losing the strip of scenery down each side which does not really serve a purpose.
You mean you don't like it?! We spent ages choosing that image ;)

When designing the new site, we had to take into account screen resolution and the vast majority of visitors still use 1024x768 pixels hence the default size of the site in a desktop browser.

Arrow

Aug 31, 2013
"You mean you don't like it?! We spent ages choosing that image ;)"

I'm sure it's a very nice image, but I can only see 2" on either side. :(
But thanks for spending the time choosing the image. :)

C

Cyclezee

I have only just seen this thread and I am too late to vote, but my answer would have been an emphatic yes to a wider screen.

This may be selfish on my part, with a wide screen 50% of it is the pretty picture which is nice, but of no interest when I have seen it a couple of times.o_O

I see that 2 thirds voted in favour so is it going to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisers