Yamaha Battery/Charger Problem

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Where did I suggest that the connector could not be repaired?

I am making the point that, just as with a laptop damaged by accident, the manufacturer is perfectly correct to reject a warranty claim.
or just tell you to feck off as it is impossible ;)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I just checked and I am 11 days short of a year since my connectors broke.

I have completed 1924 miles since mending my connectors with the battery and charger showing every sign of lasting a lot longer still.

The battery and charger are obviously high quality items and it would have been extremely wasteful to have thrown them away as the only option given by the manufacturer for the want of an inexpensive replacement connector.

My other electric bike is a old Oxygen Emate city with generic Chinese battery and charger with a metal connector plug that is much sturdier than the Yamaha one.

I am actually very impressed by my Yamaha powered Haibike and have now completed 10856 miles since I bought it in 2015 but I think it is not unreasonable to expect the dealer to be able to fix it.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
The point is that whether you are in or out of warranty you will be given no support to fix the connector if it breaks.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
In fairness once I had fixed this problem I stopped researching if there might be a dealer somewhere who was prepared to fix the problem but I did approach mine and another non local one at the time and was told the same thing by both that they could not.

Now it is a year since then and at that time my own dealer did not offer a bearing replacement service and now does. Also the bearing man has appeared on the forum, so there are beginning to be options to service and repair motors with serviceable worn out parts.

I also did not approach Jimmy at insat who probably would have been able to fix it.

But I still think that if you have spent a lot of money on a bike and break an inexpensive but crucial part either on day one or whenever down the line you should reasonable expect to be able to take it to the shop where you bought it to have it fixed.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
DIY easy fix for Yamaha Battery/Charger Connection Problem

Well we ended up opening up the battery and soldering the wires directly inside where they cannot be bent or broken.
View attachment 24799
Nothing dreadful happened when we opened the battery case and the battery charged just as before when we had put it all back together.
View attachment 24800
We used external silicon sealant for where the wires exited the battery case.
View attachment 24801
The rather ugly generic four way connector that was less than a fiver hides inside the battery cover.
View attachment 24802
We also added the corresponding connector to my charger and opened it up and tidied up and replaced the wires that had become frayed over time.
View attachment 24803
My last ride to work on the sDuro was on the 13th of April with a short 20 mile return trip and the milage on the bike and battery reaching 8932. I was then off for four days and discovered my broken connector when I retrieved my battery to charge it on Tuesday evening the 17th April , not suspecting that I was in for a bit of a saga.

I used my trusty and in electric bike terms ancient Oxygen Emate City to get me to work for the ensuing four days of work.

Who knows if I would have bought a new battery and charger if I could not have overcome this problem, but I am still a little flabbergasted that if I was not able to effect this repair that would have been my only option.

I am not due back at work until around the 8th of May when the sDuro will resume service, but it might have to share the odd trip with the super sub Emate city now and then when the start time dictates a road trip too and from work rather than any off road. However I have always taken the old Oxygen on more forgiving off road tracks and found its unsuitability just adds to the fun!

Post Script

The sDuro returned to service on the 8th of May 2018 for three return trips to work and 66 miles. Due to being early shifts these rides were on the road and did not involve any off road elements.

As expected the battery and charger worked as before and my 20 mph average speed 10 mile return trip on the last day (Friday 11/05/18) used 37% of the batteries capacity.

The amount of the batteries capacity that I use on my journeys to work and back has not really changed very much from when the bike was new, which I think shows that the battery and its management system must be pretty good.

Although I love my old Oxygen Emate City the battery on that needed replacing after two years of the same use.

Now that the wires to the charger have been properly tidied up and new connectors added to the charger and battery, connecting the charger to the battery is easier and more secure than before.
Since I have just ordered a Giant Trance Pro E+3 which has the Yamaha motor this post has been bookmarked in case I have the same fragile charger plug! I like your solution although preferably after the warranty has run out!

RaBirdman

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2019
I am not thinking that it should be a warranty claim as I take responsibility for not removing the battery prior to charging. I do however take exception to the fact that they will not even entertain fixing the broken component and further the part is not available to purchase, which means that I have to do as others have which is utilize another connector, and then modify the charger to use the new connector as well. When this modified battery finally fails and I purchase a new battery then I have to replace the original connector to allow the new battery to charge.
Am I missing something or does this seem asinine? Not sure why they cant just sell the little plastic connectors so we could replace as necessary. It certainly will have me looking at this aspect of any future E-bike.

Reactions: georgehenry

HaydenFin2

Just Joined
Apr 30, 2019
Hi all just joined the forum and grateful to of found this thread. I've gone and done the same thing with the battery and connector and sounds exactly how the last guy did his and after reading this sounds like a waste of time even taking it to the bike shop and pursuing the warranty route. I've done less than 300 miles on mine and owned it around 3 months. Mrs tripped over the wire, then luckily could still get a connection until today when it shorted out. Just wondered if you could tell which 4 pin you purchased as I might have to go that route as well. Also just seen a 500w battery on eBay. Are these compatible because if so I may as well go with with an upgrade if the 4 pin don't work.

Be grateful for any reply cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi all just joined the forum and grateful to of found this thread. I've gone and done the same thing with the battery and connector and sounds exactly how the last guy did his and after reading this sounds like a waste of time even taking it to the bike shop and pursuing the warranty route. I've done less than 300 miles on mine and owned it around 3 months. Mrs tripped over the wire, then luckily could still get a connection until today when it shorted out. Just wondered if you could tell which 4 pin you purchased as I might have to go that route as well. Also just seen a 500w battery on eBay. Are these compatible because if so I may as well go with with an upgrade if the 4 pin don't work.

Be grateful for any reply cheers
if you have warranty then try the dealer first as they could sort it or tell you to bugger off.

otherwise jimmy will be able to fix it one way or another. https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I suppose the dealer could sort it and tell you to bugger off just to ring the changes.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It is now over a year since I replaced the connectors an my battery and charger and the battery has powered the bike for 2104 miles and looks very capable of powering the bike a lot further still.

A few other people have now added to this quite obscure thread after falling victim to the same problem.

From the miles I have covered since fixing my battery and charger myself there is clearly no issue with the quality of either the battery or the charger.

If bike dealers are not allowed to fix this problem they should at the very
least be able to sell the correct Yamaha replacement connectors to allow the owner to do so.

If you do not want to tackle the fix yourself then Jimmy at insat would be someone who I am sure could perform the same fix.

HaydenFin2

Just Joined
Apr 30, 2019
It is now over a year since I replaced the connectors an my battery and charger and the battery has powered the bike for 2104 miles and looks very capable of powering the bike a lot further still.

A few other people have now added to this quite obscure thread after falling victim to the same problem.

From the miles I have covered since fixing my battery and charger myself there is clearly no issue with the quality of either the battery or the charger.

If bike dealers are not allowed to fix this problem they should at the very
least be able to sell the correct Yamaha replacement connectors to allow the owner to do so.

If you do not want to tackle the fix yourself then Jimmy at insat would be someone who I am sure could perform the same fix.
I spoke to Jimmy the other day and he didn't know where to source the 4 pins to do the repair. Where did you get yours from? I've come foul of the same problem

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My mate got hold of a chok block style 4 way connector off ebay like the one in the link.

He is competent with electrical components but essentially this was more about his ability to solder the wires inside the battery case where they would not easily break and waterproofing with silicone sealant.

The actual connectors from ebay were easy and cheap to source and have been reliable and easy to use after being fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-8mm-2-3-4-6-9-Way-pin-Electrical-Connector-Kit-Car-Motorbike-Auto-UK-STOCK/273243572053?var=&hash=item3f9e960755&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH/8PNHtt9VX4/w7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVn6Uph

David Cooper

Just Joined
Feb 2, 2020
I am not an ebiker, just an someone trying to help a friend with the exact same problem that georgehenry had.

My first reaction when seeing for the first time the Yamaha battery was that the charger port was a poor design, especially as it now seems to use a proprietary plug and socket which is unavailable. I also have another German battery (vhbw?) with the same socket, but different internal connections. I was asked to remove the German socket and fit to the Yamaha, but I think georgehenry's solution is better, so will do that. Many thanks georgehenry for your comprehensive guide

Eroom1955

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2020
a mag safe connector would make more sense tbh esp for on bike charging but i have never used the charger with the batt on the bike but with bosch it is not direct to the batt but would still get damaged if you tripped over the cable and ripped it out.

jimmy at insat could have done a better job tbh :cool:
a mag safe connector would make more sense tbh esp for on bike charging but i have never used the charger with the batt on the bike but with bosch it is not direct to the batt but would still get damaged if you tripped over the cable and ripped it out.

jimmy at insat could have done a better job tbh :cool:
I got a four way connector from ebay, I opened up the hole where the connector is on the battery and fitted it and then I fitted and soldered the female plug on the charger cable

Attachments

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi all with Yamaha battery/charger connector problems. Update on how mine are doing post repair.

My original 400Wh Yamaha battery is still performing well as it enters its sixth year of service. It has now powered the bike for 2,942 miles and almost two years since I was forced to replace the battery/charger connectors myself in April of 2018.

As it continues to perform so well it shows how wasteful it would have been to have thrown it and the charger away when the original connectors broke.

I still find it quite disturbing that if you are unlucky and damage the connectors on your Yamaha battery and/or charger there is no support available to get them fixed. You either have to fix them yourself, like I did, which involved overcoming the defeat bolts and opening up the battery case or finding a third party business that could do it for you, perhaps like Jimmy at insat.

Eroom1965, I am jealous that you have done a better, neater job than me!

Could you link to the better looking connectors you used if I feel like changing mine.

Last edited:

Eroom1955

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2020
I'm glad you like my connectors, they're called GX20 connectors 4 pin 10amp. They are pretty good as the plug side on the charger has a good cable clamp and soldered connectors. The hole where sockets fits has to be carefully drilled out to 20mm The socket then clamped in place with a locking ring supplied. I might have a look and see if I've got a spare plug and socket as I bought some more for another project where do you live?

Attachments

Advertisers