Electric Fat Bike Interest In UK?

C

Cyclezee

We are trying to gauge the level of interest in electric assist Fat Bikes prior importing to the UK.

The model would be the eZee E-Rex as shown below, retail prices would be from £1395.

erex-production-bike-red.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They don't appeal to me at all John, how ever I guess if I lived next to the coast or somewhere very wet with boggy terrain it might be a different story.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
They don't appeal to me at all John, how ever I guess if I lived next to the coast or somewhere very wet with boggy terrain it might be a different story.
even then I'd not see the benefit over a MTB with fat big apples, specially at a price at which it competes with pretty good ebikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's early days for these fat e-bikes.
Wait another year for mistakes to be ironed out.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I love the idea of a fat bike but could only see them as a second bike, only if I had some spare money doing nought ;)
So far my 29er has gone everywhere I've pointed it so a fat bike would be an expensive novelty.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the fat bikes would be good on dry sand or thick, soft snow. Let's see... not in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Island.

C

Cyclezee

Thank you for your comments so far, not entirely unexpected.

I have to say that I think they would be pretty useless in an urban environment.

But being a country boy and having been brought up on a farm I can see where they would have practical uses and would do less damage than horses, quad bikes or trail bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
There is a few e models on eBay around the £1000 mark, time will tell if they are a fad or not, BMXs and MTBs were considered a fad at first. I'm moving to the Devon coast soon, thought more likely to buy a regular one to try on sand and trails with an eye to posible converting to electric later.

C

Cyclezee

the fat bikes would be good on dry sand or thick, soft snow. Let's see... not in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Island.
Hi Trex,

I think you need to get out more, the weather and terrain varies considerably across the UK.

It may not be your cup of tea, but there are lots of other parts of the world where they would come into their own.

I bet if Woosh had one it would be the dogs danglies;)

Reactions: D C and Alan Quay

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I spotted my first pedelec fat bike yesterday, which also just happened to be a KTM Macina Freeze. Whilst I still don't personally like them, and probably never will, I can see why they appeal to those living close to sandy beaches, boggy ground where low ground pressure is required, or in snow. I can also see that they would appeal to someone that wants to stand out from the crowd, and have a bike that could be customized to the hilt. I'd also imagine that the ride would be very soft, compliant, and forgiving, which might also appeal to someone that specifically requires that kind of ride for say joint pain issues.

I don't know about the price aspect though. Taking the Macina Freeze as an example, I think that it costs about £2,700.00 Clearly the cost is nearly double that of the E-Rex, but if I was in the market for one, and the E-Rex fell within my price bracket, but the Macina didn't, I still think that given the higher component spec etc of the KTM, I'd hold out and save up further, or take advantage of the 0% finance that some dealers offer. The problem with that opinion is, that I am already a couple of bikes down the line, and my requirements now, are different from when I first started out.
I guess that the only way to find out if the bike would sell, is to get a couple and try. It could be a case that like other cheaper bikes, it is a way to get someone onto the pedelec ladder, and from there, in a year or so, they would or could upgrade if they so desired. I know that there is arguments for and against lower budget bikes, but if they get someone else out there riding, then good luck with it. :)

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've spoken to a couple of push fat bike owners.

Fat bikes are surprisingly versatile and are not just good on sand and snow.

Using one on asphalt is a bit of a waste, but on any other terrain they can be more capable than a standard mountain bike.

The manager of my local bike shop - a keen mountain biker - reckons fat bikes flatter less able riders.

Or put another way, it gives them the confidence to try harder trails than they otherwise would.

MTB ebikes seem to be coming more popular, so I reckon John's fat bike could do well.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've seen several pedal only fat bikes at mtb events, and have to say that all of the riders that I have seen, have had no trouble riding the same terrain as a conventional mtb, and seemingly at the same pace, or at least on level ground. Cut down jeans, vest top, and tattoos do seem to be part of the standard requirement to ride one though. :)

So there you have it John, you can even add Henna Tattoo's and a new clothing line to the business. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclezee

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Trex,

I think you need to get out more, the weather and terrain varies considerably across the UK.

It may not be your cup of tea, but there are lots of other parts of the world where they would come into their own.

I bet if Woosh had one it would be the dogs danglies;)
if woosh bring one in, it'd sell for well under £1,000 and it will have some special feature like a crank drive.
Oops, didn't I say too much already?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
if woosh bring one in, it'd sell for well under £1,000 and it will have some special feature like a crank drive.
Oops, didn't I say too much already?
So from the below, it would a complete and utter waste of time Woosh producing one.

Reactions: Cyclezee

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think the design goal is a bike to go on muddy farm tracks, hence the CD motor.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'd say that the hub drive would make the bike more desirable, as I'd guess that the majority of owners will want a fat bike for cruising, a role far better suited to a hub motor.

People also ride quads on muddy farm tracks, not pedelecs. If that is going to the selling point for Woosh, then they have failed before they have started.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
apparently, my source said that a fat bike would be seen as greener than a quad bike, at least, quieter.

C

Cyclezee

apparently, my source said that a fat bike would be seen as greener than a quad bike, at least, quieter.
Well, I can only say that your source must be a rocket scientist to work that one out:rolleyes:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I should have said 'apparently, my source said that a fat bike would be seen as greener than a quad bike and I would add, at least, quieter'. That last bit didn't come from him. Personally, I'd wait for the market to establish itself before venturing in. I think in 2016, the battleground is lightweight bikes.

Last edited: