For Forks sake, I need help!

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
My Daimler Mercedes Smart eBike original front suspension forks have just arrived from Germany, they are made by Rock Shox and wow they are VERY expensive looking at this site http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox/frames-forks The ones I bought were around £130 and made for the Smart eBike.

Mercedes hourly rates in London are over £200, just wondering how many hours it takes to have forks fitted, there seems to be a few bits in the box and although I am highly intelligent and competent am I up for this task? Any sensible views appreciated :)

IMG_0690.JPG

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Hi. Why would you go to a Mercedes main dealer to get some forks fitted? I know it's Smart bike but there is nothing exclusive about those forks. Take them to a proper local bike mechanic and Bobs ihr onkel

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Hi. Why would you go to a Mercedes main dealer to get some forks fitted? I know it's Smart bike but there is nothing exclusive about those forks. Take them to a proper local bike mechanic and Bobs ihr onkel
Its just that its an elite designer bike and Mercedes have clean workshops, didn't really want a grease monkey touching my bike. But maybe thats an option if its a 3hr job as that could be a little pricey!

Thanks

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Its just that its an elite designer bike and Mercedes have clean workshops, didn't really want a grease monkey touching my bike. But maybe thats an option if its a 3hr job as that could be a little pricey!

Thanks
Designer bikes also have to go out in the real world when you take them for a ride where they inevitably get covered in dirt and mud like the rest of them. Riding through a park will be a lot dirtier than taking it to a decent bike shop.

If anything, I can only think of one bike shop in my local area that I would consider scruffy. The rest are run very well by professional bike mechanics (granted with varying degrees of skills) and don't look particularly unclean.

The idea that something is "designer" does make me cringe a little (Wtf is "Elite Designer"?). Especially if it's applied to a bicycle that someone then feels that they can't get dirty. To think that someone would take their bike to a £200 an hour Mercedes main dealer to get some forks fitted to their bike is almost ludicrous.

I'm starting to wonder whether you'd be better putting it in a cabinet or something. You could then get another (non-designer) bike that you could use as they were intended.

Reactions: JohnCade

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
Designer bikes also have to go out in the real world when you take them for a ride where they inevitably get covered in dirt and mud like the rest of them. Riding through a park will be a lot dirtier than taking it to a decent bike shop.

If anything, I can only think of one bike shop in my local area that I would consider scruffy. The rest are run very well by professional bike mechanics (granted with varying degrees of skills) and don't look particularly unclean.

The idea that something is "designer" does make me cringe a little (Wtf is "Elite Designer"?). Especially if it's applied to a bicycle that someone then feels that they can't get dirty. To think that someone would take their bike to a £200 an hour Mercedes main dealer to get some forks fitted to their bike is almost ludicrous.

I'm starting to wonder whether you'd be better putting it in a cabinet or something. You could then get another (non-designer) bike that you could use as they were intended.
You're just feeding him............!

Reactions: Wicky and JohnCade

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
your fork looks like a standard Rockshox Dart 2.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181933776197
It's not difficult to do it yourself but you'll need the right tools.
LBSes will probably charge you £30-£40 to fit it.
It will void your Mercedes guarantee though.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I met a few people like him on the music forum I moderated (with many others as it was huge) for well over ten years. Only one or two that actually took the role playing bumbling fool to a level where they were banned.

People used to line up to abuse them and they liked it I think. Well.. only for a while though as they got tired of the abuse and obviously couldn't keep up their generally uncreative attempts at trolling people.

This guy is just a clown and he's not really very good at it. The ones that are good are almost too hard to totally work out if they are just trolls, or just annoying buffoons that struggle socially in the real world (who I could forgive)

I think they may also be the type of person that actually thinks they are smart... smarter than other people but then of course they aren't, as being smart doesn't include the desire to waste people's time and constantly try to annoy them.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
your fork looks like a standard Rockshox Dart 2.
LBSes will probably charge you £30-£40 to fit it.
It will void your Mercedes guarantee though.
Not the two year world wide guarantee from Mercedes shirley?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My Daimler Mercedes Smart eBike original front suspension forks have just arrived from Germany, they are made by Rock Shox and wow they are VERY expensive looking at this site http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox/frames-forks The ones I bought were around £130 and made for the Smart eBike.

Mercedes hourly rates in London are over £200, just wondering how many hours it takes to have forks fitted, there seems to be a few bits in the box and although I am highly intelligent and competent am I up for this task? Any sensible views appreciated :)

View attachment 12834

To be perfectly honest, I would take it to the Daimler Mercedes dealer. I know you will end up paying a tad more, but it is a high end bike and one which a bike shop may not have the necessary skills to work on.

Also, by going to the main dealer, you will preserve the bike's pedigree. As you say, it would be a travesty to allow a grease monkey to even touch it.

Main dealer every time.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I met a few people like him on the music forum I moderated (with many others as it was huge) for well over ten years. Only one or two that actually took the role playing bumbling fool to a level where they were banned.

People used to line up to abuse them and they liked it I think. Well.. only for a while though as they got tired of the abuse and obviously couldn't keep up their generally uncreative attempts at trolling people.

This guy is just a clown and he's not really very good at it. The ones that are good are almost too hard to totally work out if they are just trolls, or just annoying buffoons that struggle socially in the real world.

I think they may also be the type of person that actually thinks they are smart... smarter than other people but then of course they aren't, as being smart doesn't include the desire to waste people's time and annoy them.
There was a man called Mike Parry on a hi fi/music forum who was a bit like that. I sometimes wonder if it’s this bloke's Naim.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I would have thought the first thing to do is contact Merc / smart, and ask about the warranty, if they say you will void it by fitting yourself or someone else fitting it, then unfortunately you ain't got much choice but to pay Merc.

That said I'd certainly try to get a written costing up front (not an estimate)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I would order one of your staff to do it..... after he's finished the drainage in the lower field of course.
And make sure the serf doffs his cap afterwards.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Luckily my gardner is a cycling fanatic and he has just fitted the forks for me and only charged an hours gardening rate of £30, happy days, JOB DONE!

But he took it for a test ride and got MUD on the tyres and some splashes on the frame and pedals FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Pumped up to 190psi, it is vital that you set these correctly so you enjoy the maximum benefit from them!

IMG_0700.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0695.JPGIMG_0696.JPGIMG_0697.JPG :)

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015

I took your advice and got it done, thanks for your guidance ;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Luckily my gardner is a cycling fanatic and he has just fitted the forks for me and only charged an hours gardening rate of £30, happy days, JOB DONE!

But he took it for a test ride and got MUD on the tyres and some splashes on the frame and pedals FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Pumped up to 190psi, it is vital that you set these correctly so you enjoy the maximum benefit from them!

View attachment 12835View attachment 12836View attachment 12837View attachment 12838View attachment 12839 :)
Quite frankly I'm astonished that you have entrusted a gardener to carry out such a safety critical job on your bike. If anything, and there are many pitfalls when fitting forks, goes wrong, the consequences will be serious.

That lawn of yours looks in a poor state with scruffy edging boardering the property devaluing decking. If that's the standard of workmanship that your gardener achieves, I wouldn't let him anywhere near the bike. At least take it to the Merc garage for one of their technicians to check it over.

Reactions: JohnCade

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Quite frankly I'm astonished that you have entrusted a gardener to carry out such a safety critical job on your bike. If anything, and there are many pitfalls when fitting forks, goes wrong, the consequences will be serious.

That lawn of yours looks in a poor state with scruffy edging boardering the property devaluing decking. If that's the standard of workmanship that your gardener achieves, I wouldn't let him anywhere near the bike. At least take it to the Merc garage for one of their technicians to check it over.
Oh dear you have me worried now, anyway you will be happy to know he is on the job sorting out the leaves and grass edgings, and I will have Daimler Mercedes check the forks, its would be awful if I had an accident! Thanks :)