Who likes Crank-drives?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Did they have nice big fat chains on or just the usual "wears out in 5 minutes' skinny derailleur type?!

D

Deleted member 4366

Did they have nice big fat chains on or just the usual "wears out in 5 minutes' skinny derailleur type?!
I didn't look too close. There were so many of them, that some of them are bound to be good

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
crank drive bikes will always be more expensive than hub bikes.
If you can sell a crank drive for 50p then someone will sell the hub equivalent for 45p.

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
I am a newbie but wouldnt the speed and power of these drives wear a chainset out very fast ?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am a newbie but wouldnt the speed and power of these drives wear a chainset out very fast ?
Interesting comment.. I have done 1500 miles on the original chain with only a small amount of stretch /wear (using the park chain wear tool). I expected it to wear out quickly given the extra strain it's exposed to.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
I suppose its how hard you push it trex i wouldnt like the idea of the chain breaking and causing damage

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
not so much as breaking but more a case of stretching and wearing. The rear sprockets, especially the smallest sprocket (12 teeth) gets used a lot on flat roads. Average expected lifespan is 1,500 miles for 1% chain stretch. The cost of replacing chain and freewheel is about £15-£20 for Woosh CDs, about £30-£40 for German bikes.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
My CD chain lasted about 700 miles. Rear sprocket also pretty worn. There are a couple of chain manufacturers who produce CD specific chains and seem to promise good life. I plan on checking one of them out this summer.

However as explained above, replacing them fairly often won't break the bank. It just came as a shock to me!

I've also taken to riding in slightly lower gears a lot of the time. I reckon this might put less strain on the transmission? Any views on this strategy anyone?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've also taken to riding in slightly lower gears a lot of the time. I reckon this might put less strain on the transmission? Any views on this strategy anyone?
Doing that is more a matter of less strain on you. There's no difference for the chain since, assuming a single chainwheel, for a given performance it's transmitting the same force at the same linear chain speed

On a hub gear bike it actually increases the strain on the hub gear due to increasing the torque in lower gears.

Fortunately you have a derailleur gear bike, so any torque increase at the rear sprocket is compensated by the increased size of a lower gear rear sprocket, the load spread over more teeth.