Kalkhoff Agattu for sale (Panasonic 2008)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
For sale is my 2008 Kalkhoff Agattu.

Background:

I bought this bike from forum member Gringo on 26 March this year and he originally purchased it new in April 2008 from 50 Cycles. Gringo has told me that it had done about 900 miles when I bought it and I have cycled a further 100 miles since March.

My original intention was to use the motor to replace a failed one on my 17500 mile, 2008 Kalkhoff Pro Connect. When I got the bike home, I decided that it was too good to break up, so I kept it and used it for about two months.

On 29 May, Martin at e-bikeshop.co.uk sold me a replacement motor for my Pro Connect so that is back on the road and the Agattu is surplus.

About the bike:

The bike is in very good condition and really does look nice. It’s virtually standard apart from a Nexus roller brake, which has been added to the rear wheel. These units are very low maintenance (the occasional greasing) and are surprisingly efficient. I wouldn’t want one on the front wheel, but it suits the real wheel very well, complimenting the low maintenance Nexus hub gear. I have also fitted a brand new set of SKS Chromo-Plastic mudguards and a cycle mirror. I have also renewed the chain, rear sprocket and motor sprocket. These didn’t need changing, but I wanted to start at a known service point, as it was my intention to use the bike for daily commuting. The bike is very smooth, almost silent.

It comes with a 10 Ah Panasonic battery, three battery lock keys, a Panasonic charger, original owners manual, manual for the forks and roller brake and a spare 35 tooth chain wheel (42 tooth fitted).

The battery:

These are the biggest risk when buying a second hand ebike as replacements can be expensive. This battery is six years old and I believe it has done about 1000 miles. On standard setting, the battery will power the bike for 25 miles (hilly terrain with a 78 Kg rider). My Pro Connect battery is two months younger, has done 17500 miles and gives the Agattu virtually identical range. When new, on standard power, the 10 Ah battery would give 30 – 35 miles range over the same hilly terrain. I can’t say anymore than that about the battery. Anyone is very welcome to come and test it for himself or herself. You can take it out for an extended test ride.

A new 13 Ah battery (longer range) can be sourced from Germany for about £280

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKKU-26V-13200mAh-fur-e-Bike-Pedelec-Elektrofahrrad-mit-Panasonic-Motor-/351070782152?pt=DE_Akkus_Ladegeräte&hash=item51bd7302c8

Price:

I paid £300 for the bike and have added the mud-guards, serviced the transmission and generally fettled it, so I suppose my total outlay is in the region of £350 + a bit of time. I’m not looking to profit from the bike, so will accept sensible offers. I would like it out of the way to make room for my next bike.

I will co-operate if anyone want to arrange for a courier to collect.

This really is a nice looking machine and could pass for almost new. It rides very well and is comfortable.

Pictures:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It looks immaculate, a potential bargain for a cyclist who appreciates that generation Panasonic's bike-like characteristics.

Bmdji

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2014
Anyone bikey tell me what effect if any the 42 tooth chain wheel has on the bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Primarily it gives a more normal bicycle-like ratio of chainwheel to rear sprocket than the 37 tooth which is rather low geared in most cycling conditions.

Reactions: Bmdji

Bmdji

Jul 9, 2014
Is there an easy way to get more than 15 mph out of the motor or would that be too much for this bike?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I paid £300 for the bike and have added the mud-guards, serviced the transmission and generally fettled it, so I suppose my total outlay is in the region of £350 + a bit of time. I’m not looking to profit from the bike, so will accept sensible offers.
Shouldn't think you'll need to accept any silly offers as the Agattu is still a decent bike and is powerful enough for most people.

I just passed my old Panasonic bike on to a friend who is commuting a few miles around Cambridge. The 7-year old battery is holding up well although I doubt I'd want to try a 20 mile trip on it now, just in case. Fortunately, the local terrain means there is no significant hill-climbing involved in my friend's commute so he can ride in supreme comfort and enjoy the hub-geared drive.

I'm sure someone will snatch your hand off for that one!

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is there an easy way to get more than 15 mph out of the motor or would that be too much for this bike?
Yes, very simple. Just change the rear hub sprocket for a smaller one. The smallest at 16 tooth gives assist to 20 mph, but that's going a bit too far for the limited power and also slashes the range to as low as 18 miles on a new 10Ah battery.

The standard sprocket is a 23 tooth so reducing that to 19 tooth is more reasonable, giving assist speed limit increase to about 18 mph.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yes, very simple. Just change the rear hub sprocket for a smaller one. The smallest at 16 tooth gives assist to 20 mph, but that's going a bit too far for the limited power and also slashes the range to as low as 18 miles on a new 10Ah battery.

The standard sprocket is a 23 tooth so reducing that to 19 tooth is more reasonable, giving assist speed limit increase to about 18 mph.
These are the figures, as I understood them, for the Alfine 8 speed. The Agattu has the Nexus 7 speed, do the same figures apply?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Roughly yes. The rear sprocket on the Agattu 7 speed was sometimes 22 tooth so little different, but the chainwheel was always 37 tooth and motor sprocket 9 tooth as standard.

Either an 18 or 19 tooth rear sprocket would be ok, as you know the power phase down on the Agattu is such that it's almost impossible to know exactly at what point it disappears.

Reactions: tillson

Mogman

Jul 19, 2014
Thank you, I am looking at two pro connects this weekend I will let you know how I get on, where are you located?

Mogman

Jul 19, 2014
Thanks, Have taken the plunge with pro connect, have taken it for a short ride works great but at present find the ride a bit hard. Will try again this weekend