2014/2015 KTM Macina Lycan gps +

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
First impressions of the 2014/2015 KTM Macina Lycan gps + 10-s XT

I'm not going to run through the list of spec, as this can be seen on the following link to KTM's website.. http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike.html?action=bike_details&bike_id=17920&cHash=9602c173b1b6ea164954b68b706f985d

Opening the well packaged box, revealed what I had already expected, a drop dead gorgeous and superbly presented e-mtb.
Just opening the box alone, left me with no doubt that I had made the right decision in choosing this bike over it's competitors.

The finish of the hydroformed frame is superb, and it was refreshing to see super clean welds that flow almost seamlessly throughout. If like me you appreciate attention to detail, then that is an aspect worth closer scrutiny when making comparisons between manufacturers. The bottom bracket area is another key focus in that respect, and how the frame has been butted and finished. Again, the KTM does not disappoint in that respect either. In fact attention to detail runs throughout the bike.

Moving onto paint and decal finish. What can I say. It certainly puts my last two, non KTM bikes to shame and is first-rate in all respects. Obviously I can't answer the durability aspect of it yet, but I have high hopes of it being very good.

After straightening the bars, I suspended the bike to give it a thorough once over. The trueness of the wheels was first class, and credit must also go to Schwalbe for producing a tyre with very accurate fabrication tolerances, and no apparent influence over balance. The Shimano Ratchet system hubs with thruaxle also exude an air of quality. I'll practice the removal and refitting of both wheels over the next few days to get into the swing of using them.

All of the controls functioned exactly as they should, and gear selection was very slick and precise.
Front fork flex was also reassuringly un-noticeable under quick lock on braking, which is always good to see.
Checks completed and a few adjustments carried out, the bike was lowered, and it was time to cast an eye over a couple of other aspects of the bike, that seemingly all to often disappoint. Firstly the saddle. I already knew from the Ultra 1964 that KTM saddles are of exceptionally good quality and for me, offer possibly the best ride of any saddle that I have tried. Clearly everyone is different, but I can't find fault. The seat post clamp is also of high quality, and the orange anodised finish, adds a subtle bit of bling.
Next up is bar end grips. This is another aspect that often disappoints, but as with the Ultra 1964, KTM have done their homework, and fitted first-rate grips.

Pedals. As with all of my bikes, I shall be fitting my own, but KTM haven't failed in this department either, and the OE supplied pedals are very good indeed, and shouldn't be ruled out as a main option. Being both clipless and flat, is great to see.

Cable routing. To me, all e-mtb's should have internal routing for the majority of cables, and I wouldn't even entertain the idea of having the underside of an e-mtb top tube cluttered with cable and lugs. I'd soon get fed up of that when it comes to the inevitable lifting and carrying of the bike. And speaking of carrying, this bike appears to hide its weight of 20.9kg very well indeed. Clearly I'd love to see the day when all mid range e-mtb's weigh 15kg, but I'm a realist.

I expect that I have left details out from the above, but for now, my visual first impression of the bike have left me in no doubt that I have made the right choice, especially when comparing price V spec of other manufacturers, and it is something of note when considering an e-mtb purchase. E-bikes are an expensive purchase, so maximising component spec is definitely on the list of priorities, and this KTM has given more bike per pound sterling.

The hard choice now, is whether to hang the bike up on the wall or ride it! I think that I'll ride it, then hang it up on the wall. :)

The bikes first outing will be this weekend, and true to form I have entered an organised 'non competitive' mtb ride. Pedals aside, by then the bike will already have had one change to the original spec, and also the addition of one or possibly two extra accessories, neither of which I really want to fit, but they make life easier. I'll let you guess what they all are when you see the documented ride photos.

Items of note that perhaps should be addressed on later bikes....
Unlike other bikes that I could quite easily rip to shreds in this department, I have only found two things. The first is that the banjo fitting to the rear brake caliper hose, would be better placed and guided, if it were to be say a 30 degree elbow, rather than being straight. The second is the proximately of the Nyon cable to the pop lock on the forks. It runs uncomfortably close, but I'll address this tomorrow. It's a slightly tricky compromise between lock to lock steering use, fork compression, and suspension pop lock.

One final note... Yes the bike has Nyon, but this was not the reason for me buying the bike. I'm quite happy to do without it, as I'm more into riding than playing around with electronic gadgetry, and looking at a widescreen TV mounted to a handle bar... So don't ask me questions about it, as I just don't have the interest and won't answer. From a valid safety point of view, why would you want or need extra distraction. I'd rather concentrate on the task in hand of riding, than forever looking down at a screen, then back up again, just in time to see the hole, rock, root, hedge or whatever that I would be about to hit. Yes I could have just bought a KTM Macina Lycan Plus and not had the addition of Nyon, but I prefer both the component spec and colour scheme of the gps +

Perhaps this opinion might change over time, but I currently very much doubt it. At a stretch of using the system, cadence and heart rate could be useful to shut pedal riders up, but why the hell would I want to know that so and so is sending a text message. Firstly I have a phone that tells me that, and why would I want to be receiving text messages when I'm out riding anyway. Also if I take a wrong turning whilst riding off road, so what? I consider that to add to the adventure, and discovering new routes and rides is good, and is certainly not something that I'd give worry or thought to. Some of my best rides have been exactly for those reasons. Just ride and enjoy.

Not the best of photos, but hopefully I shall soon make up for that. :)

The Boardman isn't mine, I've just borrowed it to play on, and it should really be replaced with either an orange coloured CX bike, or an orange and black road bike. :)

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I reckon Eddie will put on at least one mudguard, although it's still remarkably dry in my area of the country.

Some carrying capacity needed, if only for a pump, puncture repair kit and multi-tool.

Nowhere for rider refreshment, although drink isn't so important at this time of year, and the organised ride will have feed stations.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie, looks great and can't wait for your anticipated report after the weekend.

Had to have a little chuckle seeing the 3 full bottles of muc-off ready and waiting in the background.

Enjoy, Ian

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the replies, and yep one of the mods is sadly a mudguard. It's a MuckyNutz one, so doesn't look so bad. :) When things do get really muddy, with reluctance, I'll fit a crud catcher to help protect the battery area, and a rear guard. I'll be holding out as long as possible though.

Ian, I should have moved those bottles. :) I got fed up of buying muck-off a very long time ago. It's a superb product and does exactly what it should, but now I just buy a concentrated mix from a company who's name has currently slipped my mind, and mix my own. It works out very much cheaper, although it isn't quite as good.
We will have to do our ride before it gets too late in the year. I'm taking tomorrow off work to have a play and get the suspension set up, and check that all is okay before Saturday.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well, what can I say! I decided that I had better christen the bike before the weekend, and boy did it get christened. It rained and rained throughout the 15 mile ride, and I sadly also wrecked the camera because of it.

This bike is pretty phenomenal in almost every respect. It somehow brought out my darker side, and encouraged me to try harder than I have tried before. It's such an addictive bike to ride, and I'm certain that this bike is going up my riding skills a few notches with it's confidence inspiring ride. I was going to check the fox shox website before the ride, just to get the suspension set up perfectly for me, but I forgot and just went out using the factory pre set. Someone must have known that I was going to own and ride this bike, as it was perfect, straight from the box.
The suspension absorbed everything that was thrown at it, and even the very occasional slide from the rear tyre over off camber roots, didn't phase it. It was just so compliant.

I did have to have one tumble, but it was one of those falls, that had the bike been a horse, it would have been stood over me laughing to its self! I was traveling not particularly fast along a grass track that was criss crossed with drainage trenches, when suddenly I hit one that was overgrown and very boggy. The front of the bike just went down, I went over the bars, and glided face first into the wet grass and mud. It was boggy enough that my arm had sunk fully up to the elbow. Thankfully there was no one was watching! ;)

That hiccup out of the way, the ride went super well, and very fast. I can see all of my ride time records being smashed with this bike.

Before getting this bike, I did have my doubts about the small front sprocket being of any use. Off road I don't really see that it is every going to be an issue, but on road use, could have you spinning out by 25mph. I'll check that for sure another day. As said, it's no issue to me, as the bike is going to be used off road for 95% of the time.
What was refreshing to me, was how smooth and quiet that the motor was when compared with the classic motor from the last bike. Obviously there is no mistaking what the bike is as it approaches, but I didn't notice any walkers turning round to stare until I was level with them. I quite pleased about that aspect of things.

The post ride wash didn't reveal any nasty surprises in respect of ingress of water. There was both mud and water fairly close to the battery connections, but I cannot see this ever causing a problem, and I'd be the first to say if I thought that it might.

I'll probably think of more to say later. :)

Last edited:

OMG

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2014
Australia, NSW
Hi Eddie , I have the same bike and it is the best investment I have made in a long time. At $7000 here in Australia I was a bit nervous on how good the bike would be and the fact that I had never ridden an ebike let alone owned one I was completely blown away on how good this bike is , I've always had top quality bikes Santa Cruz, Pivot, Cannondale and Specialized and the Ktm performs up there with them.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
OMG, many thanks for sharing, the bike looks lovely. :)

Please feel free to add further details and photos.

I've so far only managed to put about 50miles under the belt with my own, but I truly can't get enough of it, and it's very frustrating that work has side tracked my riding. :(

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
OMG, many thanks for sharing, the bike looks lovely. :)

Please feel free to add further details and photos.

I've so far only managed to put about 50miles under the belt with my own, but I truly can't get enough of it, and it's very frustrating that work has side tracked my riding. :(

Have you changed the battery or do you have two?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One battery wouldn't be a lot of good to me - too many of my rides need more than that.

Seems to me ebike motors are fairly well sorted, my Bosch bikes have enough poke for my needs.

Battery life is much more of a limiting factor than motor power.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've just written out a bloody great long mid term review of the bike, forgetting that this thread was already started!

So how have things with this bike been. On the whole brilliant. I still don't really know how I feel about mid drive bikes, but with a hub drive bike arriving soon, I'll then be able to make my mind up fully in respect of that.
The motor is very lovely and quiet though, and on occasions when I have let others ride it, I have even asked if the rider has it turned on.
I do feel that Bosch have got the internal gearing of it somehow wrong though. It's running a 15 tooth front sprocket and 11-36 rear cassette, and yet I seem to spend far to much hill climbing time spent using 1st gear of the rear cassette. This was never an issue with the Classic line motor. I have heard riders of other brands moaning about this, and have also read comments about it on the German pedelec forum.
The battery duration is also down over the Classic line motor. I suspect that the reason for this is that the Classic line motor makes 48Nm of torque and the Performance line makes 60Nm of torque. I really can't think what other reason that there would be.
Nyon has also become my pet hate. I just can't understand why Bosch ever thought it a good idea to fit a widescreen television to an e-mtb. It should be half the size. It is just big, bulky and vulnerable.

The bike is definitely suited to off road riding over road riding, and whilst it will do road work, it never feels quite right. But I don't really enjoy road riding either, so no big problem there.

Off road, the bike would be laughing at me if it could! I frequently get annoyed with myself for backing off too soon, and for not having the balls to stay committed. The bike is certainly better than my ability ever will be.

As you know, this bike does not get an easy life, and my use of it is realistically way above what should really be expected of any bike when it comes to harsh and muddy conditions, but what does impress me, is just quick and easily that the bike scrubs up like new again. And also how all of the components continue to function just as they did on day one.

One thing that I will give Bosch credit for, is just how crud free that the motor unit stays. I don't think that the plastic moulding is anything special, but it does do a very good job of keeping things mud free.

There isn't really that much more to add at the moment, other than would I recommend the bike, a definite yes, and indeed I have done so on several occasions already.

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Looks cool, I want something like this now, my Cube has opened up a whole new area of cycling to me, with I now has a full suspension Bosch motored bike.
I wouldn't trade the Bosch motor, I love its control, but my gear hub is maybe geared better than your rear setup? I only need to drop to 1st for a climb you would struggle to walk up, and 1st does this with ease (on full assist ;-) )

Geoff.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
but my gear hub is maybe geared better than your rear setup? I only need to drop to 1st for a climb you would struggle to walk up, and 1st does this with ease (on full assist ;-) )
I'd say that it has more to do with me riding on harsher terrain and under more extreme conditions than you are on your bike.

The bike will be back up and running again by Tuesday evening of this week, and the service work has been fairly extensive, with a new chain, new front sprocket, new rear cassette, new jockey wheels, new headset bearings, gear indexing checked, suspension linkages checked, brake fluids checked, pedals stripped and greased, spoke tension and wheel trueness checked, and the third set of brake pads installed. I'm getting approx 200 miles out of a set.
Once the Macina Lycan is back together, it'll then be the turn of the Ultra 1964. The headset bearings need changing on that as well, and there is a slight rumble from the bottom bracket area.

Last edited: