Police crackdown on illegal e-bikes

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I think the absence of a way to legally use a S pedelec is part of the problem that the government needs to address. We are part of the european union, other member states have legislation that allows for easy legal use of S pedelecs, so why don't we? Perhaps a useful piece of equipment like an S pedelec would result in a significant drop in car use and a drop in government tax revenues. One of the reasons people are interested in more powerful ebikes is that they offer a viable alternative to car use for a lot of local journeys. But try and carry much weight around on, or drawn behind a 250w ebike you cant even do 15mph, especially if any hills are involved
Oigoi....I am sorry to dissappoint you,but unfortunately bikes in this country fall a long way down our governments list of prorities. They have not yet signed up to EN15194 ,that is 11 years behind the rest of Europe.
I suspect over the next few months we will see our government distancing themselves further way from Europe to appeal to the UKIP voters,quote 'I'm not paying this 1.7 million in December'.
I dont suppose the minister for transport even knows what an S pedelec is!!!!
Our government is also distancing itself from Liberal green issues,note canceling all the wind farms and going nuclear,also canceling that stupid air duty tax (which drove many air passengers to fly long haul from Europe rather than the UK)....fuel duty is falling because of lower fuel costs,which means lower tax take,the last thing this government wants is for us all to use our cars less.
KudosDave

Reactions: SRS and oigoi

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@KD: the dongle is so easy to fit that I guess that most are sold by mail order companies and the customers do the fitting themselves.
The S-pedelec is another issue altogether, whenever our government decide to harmonize with Europe (ie replace our specs with EN15194), there is a strong probability that the s-pedelec will be legal too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
whenever our government decide to harmonize with Europe (ie replace our specs with EN15194), there is a strong probability that the s-pedelec will be legal too.
Not judging by the DfT view expressed at the last meeting on the subject of wattage ratings. They made it clear then that fast e-bikes like the S class were out of the question in the UK.

That should surprise no-one, every move we have ever made on traffic speed law has been towards more restriction, easement never figures. Has the increasing disappearance of the fifty limit not been noticed? Every time the national speed limit is reduced for a particular road, it's dropped straight from 60 to 40 mph, a change to the once widespread 50 mph limit is never considered.

Last edited:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Not judging by the DfT view expressed at the last meeting on the subject of wattage ratings. They made it clear then that fast e-bikes like the S class were out of the question in the UK.
Then it should really come as no surprise to them that people flout the law. I for one am fed up, as a motorist, of being picked on as an easy target for collecting taxes. I am also fed up in government disinterest in providing people with sustainable, practical, affordable alternatives to fossil fuel burning vehicles. I like making a contribution towards my travelling by pedalling and keeping fit. I am not interested in travelling at dangerous speeds but it is not possible to transport simple things like shopping or a sack of chicken food using a legal ebike in a hilly area.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I am also fed up in government disinterest in providing people with sustainable, practical, affordable alternatives to fossil fuel burning vehicles. I like making a contribution towards my travelling by pedalling and keeping fit. I am not interested in travelling at dangerous speeds
Completely agree with you.
but it is not possible to transport simple things like shopping or a sack of chicken food using a legal ebike in a hilly area.
Not so sure about this. I think many of the legal systems would have no problems with this at all - Panasonic 48V hub drive, Bosch Performance Line etc. Areas where legal ebikes are not such a winner are in long-distance fast journeys, such as my 44-mile round trip commute.

Michael

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The trade members in this thread are trying to grind so many axes their views are barely worthy of consideration.

There is, of course, nothing to stop them posting self-seeking claptrap.

But equally there's nothing to stop me pointing out.what they are doing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
then there may be opportunities for someone to bring in high speed electric motocycles, not pedelecs. capable of 50mph+.
like this cheap one:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Flecc / Michael, interesting to hear your suggestions / examples. I think things have moved on a bit from the 250w hub motor drive I had years ago that could barely pull me and itself up a moderate hill. Though I suspect the improvement in the capabilities has come around by manufacturers pushing the boundaries of what is legal. As I understand it some bikes will produce far more than their rated 250w when hillclimbing, whereupon it's not really a 250w motor any more, it's just got a 250w label on it.

Reactions: trex

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Things might be different in a big city, but out in a rural area there is no possibility of serious police interest in a 'mildly' overpowered ebike ridden sensibly. Manufacturer claimed motor power ratings are almost irrelevant - the legislation has a power limit intended as a double constraint on speed as you won't get a typical bike to high speed with 250W. 30mph ebikes are clearly taking the p, 19 mph wouldn't even be noticed.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The trade members in this thread are trying to grind so many axes their views are barely worthy of consideration.

There is, of course, nothing to stop them posting self-seeking claptrap.

But equally there's nothing to stop me pointing out.what they are doing.
It's a free country,well almost !!!!
KudosDave

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's a free country,well almost !!!!
KudosDave
Nice to see my remark taken in the spirit in which it was intended.

I'm not against trade members, quite the reverse.

Kudos Dave and the others often post stuff about the trade that I wouldn't otherwise have known, so long may that continue.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Robf.....a bit off subject but I think amusing....I have a lot of communications with Chinese companies,with the culture and translation difficulties there is a risk of misunderstandings in either direction. If the Chinese make a joke or joke remark,they suffix it by 'hehe',I have inherited that suffix,it tells anyone that your remark should be taken in jest, a useful word,even in English.
However,one of my guys was off ill last week,I made the mistake of telling one of my female Chinese contacts that he had ' man-flu',hehe,trying to explain to a Chinese girl what was meant by 'man-flu' caused considerable difficulty,Wikipedia saved the day,she translated it into Chinese with the comment that her boss often suffered with 'man-flu'!!!!!!
KudosDave

Last edited:

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
@MikeRo:-

"Things might be different in a big city, but out in a rural area there is no possibility of serious police interest in a 'mildly' overpowered ebike ridden sensibly."

Unless someone gets hurt......

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire

That should surprise no-one, every move we have ever made on traffic speed law has been towards more restriction, easement never figures. Has the increasing disappearance of the fifty limit not been noticed? Every time the national speed limit is reduced for a particular road, it's dropped straight from 60 to 40 mph, a change to the once widespread 50 mph limit is never considered.
Flecc, do you have a link to minutes of that meeting, please? There are good EU law reasons why that stance might not withstand a court challenge. Thanks.

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
I guess everybody is tired of this topic, but I have just joined up and have to have my say.

I am trying to buy a pedelec, but I don't really want to spend 3 or 4 grand on a new Haibike or KTM unless it does everything I need. I want a bike I can pedal on roads and technical offroad tracks, with as much effort as I can comfortably expend, but I don't have the stamina to keep up with my son who can easily average 20mph over 50miles on his road bike on hilly terrain. He is nothing special fitnesswise.

I can personally average 10 or 15 mph over rough hilly tracks for short distances. I can do 20 or 25mph on road for very short distances with no wind and can far exceed this on steep downhills. As I am getting on a bit and have mild asthma and troublesome knees there is no way I can keep this up.

The pedelecs I have tried are great up to 15mph, but if I pedal harder there is a braking effect and whatever I do I cannot pedal on the flat at a speed I would be capable of doing on a real bike. Even allowing for the extra weight, if I could disable the motor completlely for short periods and remove the braking effect I would be happy - why is this not possible?

The speed of 15mph is perfectly acceptable offroad, but not onroad. I think 20mph would be a reasonable assisted speed onroad and on official bike tracks.This is the opposite of what I understand a lot of people are asking for - obviously for organised offroad events or private location there need be no limits.

By the way - so I can cause the usual uproar from the traders here - the UK is being ripped off price wise on ebikes like everything else - the prices in pounds are pretty much the same numbers as they are being sold in Euros in Europe. - Yet another reason for buying over there.

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I guess everybody is tired of this topic, but I have just joined up and have to have my say.

I am trying to buy a pedelec, but I don't really want to spend 3 or 4 grand on a new Haibike or KTM unless it does everything I need. I want a bike I can pedal on roads and technical offroad tracks, with as much effort as I can comfortably expend, but I don't have the stamina to keep up with my son who can easily average 20mph over 50miles on his road bike on hilly terrain. He is nothing special fitnesswise.

I can personally average 10 or 15 mph over rough hilly tracks for short distances. I can do 20 or 25mph on road for very short distances with no wind and can far exceed this on steep downhills. As I am getting on a bit and have mild asthma and troublesome knees there is no way I can keep this up.

The pedelecs I have tried are great up to 15mph, but if I pedal harder there is a braking effect and whatever I do I cannot pedal on the flat at a speed I would be capable of doing on a real bike. Even allowing for the extra weight, if I could disable the motor completlely for short periods and remove the braking effect I would be happy - why is this not possible?

The speed of 15mph is perfectly acceptable offroad, but not onroad. I think 20mph would be a reasonable assisted speed onroad and on official bike tracks.This is the opposite of what I understand a lot of people are asking for - obviously for organised offroad events or private location there need be no limits.

By the way - so I can cause the usual uproar from the traders here - the UK is being ripped off price wise on ebikes like everything else - the prices in pounds are pretty much the same numbers as they are being sold in Euros in Europe. - Yet another reason for buying over there.
You have very eloquently described both me and my son here, although I disagree with the braking effect which I don't experience. ....its just the 20 odd kilos that makes it feel that way. Otherwise I fully agree...:cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, do you have a link to minutes of that meeting, please? There are good EU law reasons why that stance might not withstand a court challenge. Thanks.
I don't, I only have extracts from those present, but be assured there are no enforceable EU reasons why this stance could be opposed.

Although in principle any EU citizen is entitled to the same benefits as any other EU citizen, and although the EU has as primary position in road transport law, member states do have entitlements to add variations in a number of areas. Indeed each piece of EU legislation includes a statement inviting member countries to submit requests for variations to the EU commission within a stated period, usually six months. Since November 2003 we have lived with our pedelecs in a legislative black hole since we have not yet adopted EU pedelec law. That's intended in the near future but already variations are being considered following the public consultation in which some pedelecs members took part.

In any case, a court ruling might have little effect in Britain where we now have passed laws known to be illegal under both UK and EU law and where a Prime Minister openly states he will ignore EU court rulings in future.

Last edited:

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
You have very eloquently described both me and my son here, although I disagree with the braking effect which I don't experience. ....its just the 20 odd kilos that makes it feel that way. Otherwise I fully agree...:cool: