Hello from Birmingham, UK

mikeonatrike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2015
Hello, everyone. I'm new and my name is Mike. I don't own a pedelec yet but want to get one soon for me and my fiancee. We are due to marry in May (eek!) and then wanna do a bit of travelling in the summer holidays.

:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Mike and please pass on a welcome to your fiancee. Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage for which my very best wishes.

Meanwhile enjoy yourself browsing the forum posts, daydreaming about the exotic e-bike you'll buy before the reality of the prior demands for a washing machine and Dyson etc hit home! ;)

mikeonatrike

Mar 31, 2015
Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

Yes, those woes have already started as kitchen needs a re-fit! I have seen some lovely bikes on line, but whats the top 5? I know it's preference but what do you currently own flecc?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mine is an eZee bike, sold by Cyclezee, and I've owned two of them. Good powerful bikes.

But there are many good makes, falling into crank and hub drives, the two types very different to ride. Therefore the best advice we always give is try out a few to start with, since that will immediately narrow the field to what type and style you prefer.

From there set a budget, tell us how challenging your territory is, your personal weights and we can then suggest a few known good options to fit the job.

mikeonatrike

Mar 31, 2015
I have seen some online, but the prices are crazy for the good ones! I even looked on Gumtree but prices aren't much different. I have seen these ones? Do you know anything about them? The guy says he made them himself but I'm not convinced...

Mike.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm quite sure they are Chinese production Mike, and all their parts certainly will be. If you don't have to have a folder they are best avoided, since full size bikes are much better to ride in every way.

There are a number of sound e-bikes under £1000, so no necessity to buy the exotica at £3000 to infinity.

Have you any idea at present of the amount you wish to spend? That will help us to make suggestions.

mikeonatrike

Mar 31, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I thought as much. My budget per bike is between 500 and 800, so not much. But if all else fails, I am considering just getting a pair of Bromptons instead. This fella wanted £500 per bike and that's what tempted me, but wanted to ask the pros first.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Woosh are a good option for a range of e-bikes in your bracket and they are well thought of in this forum, many owning their e-bikes.

Kudos Cycles also have some e-bikes in your range and are another well backed company.

And CycleZee who I mentioned before have the Sprint Primo in both stepthrough and crossbar models that are just in your budget.

So no need to spend thousands for a leisure e-bike from reliable companies who give adequate support and can supply replacement batteries when the time comes.

Reactions: mikeonatrike
C

Cyclezee

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to add my best wishes for forthcoming nuptuals;)

You are more than welcome to try a pair of eZee Sprint Primos which are within your budget.
We are less than an hour by car or train from Birmingham and we can meet people at Wolverton or Central Milton Keynes stations.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks! :)

Do you have any that fold?
Hi Mike,
We don't have an eZee folder right now, but we do have the Ansmann FC-5 compact which at £995 is a over your budget but heavily discounted.
Ansmann bikes are a quality German brand that have the best warranty available, 3 years battery, 4 years motor and 5 years on the frame.
You can see the full specification here http://www.cyclezee.com/ansmann-fc-5-compact.htmlfc5-compact-ele_9839BE03_large (1).jpg