Newbie Big Bear guy :)

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
Hi Everyone,

A few years ago I used to commute to and work several times a week but due to various reasons (including lack of proper shower facilities at work) I drive.

My company offers cycle to work scheme so i have taken the plunge and will be placing an order for a woosh big bear bike, as i am 5 foot 11 but around 130 kilo's.

I understand that the bike may struggle at tough inclines but since i used to be able to commute on a normal bike(granted i was a bit lighter then), I plan to use the electric facility so i dont arrive all sweaty and tired and over time the weight will drop off me(at least, thats the plan).

I live in the north west(Warrington) and am keen to get back into cycling.

Anyone have any thoughts on my approach/bike choice etc etc?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum Ray.
You won't need to worry about tough inclines when you see the size of its motor.

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
Sounds good to get back into cycling.

I looked at the cycle to work scheme, but none of the bikes I wanted to consider were available from an approved shop that my company's agency deals with :rolleyes:.

Good luck with it all though

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A Bear should do the job.

The front hub motor is a good choice, given that you are a big lad.

As you get into it, you way want to do some upgrades - the bike bits are not the best quality.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres can't be beaten for commuting, and the cable disc on the Bear isn't up to much.

Replacing it with a Shimano hydraulic will transform the braking.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Rob, the Zoom disc brakes on the Bear that you had 3 years ago to Tektro Novela then last year to SRAM Avid. The rotor has also been upgraded from 160mm on the bike you tested to 180mm for nearly two years now.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob, the Zoom disc brakes on the Bear that you had 3 years ago to Tektro Novela then last year to SRAM Avid. The rotor has also been upgraded from 160mm on the bike you tested to 180mm for nearly two years now.
Factually accurate and the inference the Avid is an improvement is also fair.

However, I'm not a fan of cable discs, no matter what bike they are fitted to.

Particularly as a bomb proof Shimano hydraulic is a relatively cheap and simple upgrade.

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
A Bear should do the job.

The front hub motor is a good choice, given that you are a big lad.

As you get into it, you way want to do some upgrades - the bike bits are not the best quality.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres can't be beaten for commuting, and the cable disc on the Bear isn't up to much.

Replacing it with a Shimano hydraulic will transform the braking.
Yea, I have never had a puncture(touch wood) with the marathon plus tyres on my other bikes, so will be requesting that they replace the existing tyres :)

My current Bike (https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-three-2015-adventure-road-bike-EV207295) has disc brakes, are hydraulic that much better?(probably a conversation for another thread me thinks;))

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A heavy ebike with a heavy rider takes a bit of stopping.

Hydraulic discs tend to never go out of adjustment and always offer plenty of power.

Worth trying the cable disc on the Bear, but several owners on here have found it wanting in terms of power and reliability.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The disc on my wife's Big Bear LS has been no problem at all, although she's not heavy. Must admit I've had to replace the cables to front and back though, the outers were fraying through the cup on the end.

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
thanks bud, am i right in thinking that the latest big bear specs include disk brakes on both the back and front? as the description online only says the front has disc.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have hydraulic discs on three bikes and none have needed any adjustment in a total of thousands of miles.

Pad wear is also minimal.

All are original equipment and different makes, Tektro Auriga on the MH7, Magura on the Rose, and Shimano on my push bike.

There's a clear league table, the Shimano is the best both in terms of power and feel.

Second place is Tektro, and last is Magura.

The Tektro brakes have enough grunt, but lack feel.

The Magura brakes, in comparison, are lacking in both respects.

Almost to the point where I'm tempted to take my own advice and put a Shimano one on the front.

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
I have hydraulic discs on three bikes and none have needed any adjustment in a total of thousands of miles.

Pad wear is also minimal.

All are original equipment and different makes, Tektro Auriga on the MH7, Magura on the Rose, and Shimano on my push bike.

There's a clear league table, the Shimano is the best both in terms of power and feel.

Second place is Tektro, and last is Magura.

The Tektro brakes have enough grunt, but lack feel.

The Magura brakes, in comparison, are lacking in both respects.

Almost to the point where I'm tempted to take my own advice and put a Shimano one on the front.
Thanks Rob, i will see how i get on with the original breaks and take it from there.

Cheers