Seat Problem

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
My wife has the Pro Rider Wayfarer with 20 inch wheels, I bought this for her as she is not very tall & has problems touching the ground.

Its on its lowest setting with the suspension seat post but another inch or two lower would help her quite a bit, anyone have any ideas how to drop it a tad lower.
Is cutting an inch off the top of the frame that holds the seat a wise thing to do ? I don't like the idea but if it helps her be a little more comfortable then it may be an option.

I am open to ideas if anyone can help.

IceDave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2017
UK
My Mrs had the same problem with the 2 Fatminis I bought I didnt want to change the bike and I was told changing the Mrs was out of the question :p so I bought a pair of these at first she thought I was pulling her leg but when she tried them out on the bike she loved them gives her the extra 1" and a half she needed.
20170531_152230.jpg 20170524_170238.jpg

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My wife has the Pro Rider Wayfarer with 20 inch wheels, I bought this for her as she is not very tall & has problems touching the ground.

Its on its lowest setting with the suspension seat post but another inch or two lower would help her quite a bit, anyone have any ideas how to drop it a tad lower.
Is cutting an inch off the top of the frame that holds the seat a wise thing to do ? I don't like the idea but if it helps her be a little more comfortable then it may be an option.

I am open to ideas if anyone can help.
After Googling the Pro Rider, it looks to have quite a high/chunky seat.

You could take measurements of the height of your current seat, and pop into Halfords to see if you could replace it with one that has a lower profile.

A good quality seat can have a lower profile, whilst still being comfortable.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I've found there can be up to 2-3" difference in height between saddles and I always change mine for the tallest. I have a 34" inside leg and many smaller-frame bikes only cater for a leg up to 32" so changing the saddle can add those essential few inches - or reduce them in your wife's case!

• Informative

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
I think a short travel seat post may take an inch off the height & I rekon I could saw 3/4 off the top of the frame so seat post dropped into frame a bit more ( a bit dubious ) & that would be perfect for her. Alternatively I could just get a non suspension seat post & that would do it without having to saw the frame. I don't think that the suspension seat post takes away that much anyway.

BobR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
I think a short travel seat post may take an inch off the height & I rekon I could saw 3/4 off the top of the frame so seat post dropped into frame a bit more ( a bit dubious ) & that would be perfect for her. Alternatively I could just get a non suspension seat post & that would do it without having to saw the frame. I don't think that the suspension seat post takes away that much anyway.
I removed the suspension seat post and put a standard one on, als make sure the bolt holding the seat goes above the clamps, see photo. That gave me almost an inch.
Bob

Attachments

• Useful

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
I removed the screw cap on the bottom of the saddle post, there was a rubber buffer type thing along with the spring inside. I cut a couple of the segments from the rubber buffer which had the effect of lowering the seat by about an inch as the suspension went down into the saddle post by what I had cut off. Still have suspension seat post, its just a shorter travel.
I think that electric bikes have a weight maximum of around 18 stone, I guess you need the seat post that length of travel for that weight, my mrs only 10 stone so it will travel shorter for her weight so don't think suspension is compromised. She tried it out & its perfect for her now, she just needed that inch shorter. Its an easy fix to get the saddle down lower.

Reactions: VictoryV