Replacement battery

newbie2011

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2011
i have a Oxygen EMate City bike which I love. It’s about 6 years old. The battery no longer charges ie I leave it on charge, the light on the charger goes green but the indicator lights on the top of the battery do not light when the button is pressed. So it looks like the battery needs replacing. Could anyone recommend someone who could recell it for me? What could I expect to pay? Many thanks
Keith
Ps not a newbie electric bike rider any more :)

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you check the charging fuse? There's two fuses in the top. Batteries gradually wear out or get problems after long periods without use. They don't normally suddenly stop charging, except for simpe causes, like the fuse.

If your battery is indeed worn out, there's lots of options. If you search Aliexpress for "36v silver fish battery", there's lots there. There's often some quite cheap ones on Ebay too. A recell will cost about £300 to£400 depending on which cells you choose.

Jimmy at BGA Reworking is the recommended re-cell guy.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

That Ebay one will fit the Oxygen. it comes with the matching lock strip and base. before connecting, make sure that the polarity is the same. In 90% cases, it'll be OK, otherwise you have to swap it over, which is dead easy.

newbie2011

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2011
Thank you all for your very useful replies. I’ll check the fuses and then if they look ok, eBay it is. cheers

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have an emate city with a battery that is showing its age. I was going to get it re-celled by Jimmy at insat but the price of the ebay one looks tempting and it looks like it will slot straight in with just the lock strip changed.

Am I missing something or is it that easy, buy battery, charge battery, change lock strip, attach battery, enjoy.

I wonder if there are other pros or cons I should be considering?

Re-cell or Ebay battery?

How do I check the polarity if I buy the ebay one and how do you swap it over if necessary?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For polarity use a DVM , red to + & black to -- .
If voltage reading only appears polarity is correct, if a -- appears before the reading polarity is reversed.

If polarity is wrong swap the wires over may need soldering.

D

Deleted member 4366

If the polarity is wrong, you take the bottom off the battery and swap them over. There's no soldering. IIRC, the Emate doesn't have reversed connectors between the battery and controller, so you can also just swap the wires there: red to black and black to red, but you need to stick labels on to remind yourself why they're like that because anybody in the future wouldn't know.