Advice on bike purchase

Andrew08

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
Hi All,

Really great forum going here. I'm new to ebikes, but I'm looking at getting one. I'd like to commute once a week to work (20 miles each way with some hills) and also get some other use locally both on and off road.

I'm therefore thinking of going for a mountain bike or possibly hybrid.
I've seen good feedback on this from electricbikeconversions on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Mountain-E-Bike-500W-New-2017-Model-Fireball-Red-Black-27-5-Wheels-/112342482885?var=&hash=item1a28223fc5:m:msIrKEyULoKVAaeoHcojJXQ
Has anyone tried it or know if it would do the job?

Also, how would it compare to something like this:

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/e-bike/mountainbike/zr-team-hybrid/zr-team-hybrid-70-400/
Alternatively, is there a good conversion kit I could buy and bike recommendation that would be good?

Appreciate any help!

Andrew

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Welcome to the fourm Andrew.
Most of the bikes /kits listed on ebay of 500+ watts are (D/D)direct drive hubs these are heavy and ideal for fast riding on flat terrain once up to speed, issue with most kits are they come with a very modest ah battery and a low amp rated controller that aren't able to produce the power required for decent climbing or lower speed ability.

Your second choice is ideal with the Bosch drive, draw back is dealer back up with this bike as it is German sourced. You should look for a bike from a UK dealer to be 100%, though any component issues with the Bosch system should be met by the UK Bosch dealer network but you will have to do your homework first to be sure.

Andrew08

Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
Thanks for the replies guys. Really helpful.

I've done a little bit more reading on here and I'm interested in whether the Oxygen would be much better than the Woosh Rio? There's a good few hundred in price difference, so interested if it is worth the extra investment.

Alternatively, would any simple conversion kits be comparable for closer to the £1,000 price mark?

Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've done a little bit more reading on here and I'm interested in whether the Oxygen would be much better than the Woosh Rio?
personally, I don't think so.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks for the replies guys. Really helpful.

I've done a little bit more reading on here and I'm interested in whether the Oxygen would be much better than the Woosh Rio? There's a good few hundred in price difference, so interested if it is worth the extra investment.

Alternatively, would any simple conversion kits be comparable for closer to the £1,000 price mark?

Cheers
The best thing you can do is test ride different bikes and drive systems.

For factory bikes after sales support is important, Whisper, Woosh, Oxygen, bikes with factory drives like Bosch and Shimano all seem have good backup.

Check out Cube for Bosch eMTB, lots of good UK deals on them at present.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidhlm1
D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxygen is faster than the Rio. You have to ride them to see the difference. The Oxygen is very comfortable and it just feels so much in control when you ride it. That's the MTB version. The City version is more like the Rio, but has crappier brakes and more speed.

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Oxygen is faster than the Rio. You have to ride them to see the difference. The Oxygen is very comfortable and it just feels so much in control when you ride it. That's the MTB version. The City version is more like the Rio, but has crappier brakes and more speed.
it's only because the Rio is restricted. The noload speed of both bikes is about the same on 27.5" wheels.
The Rio has a 17A controller. I think the Oxygen has a 15A controller.
We'll get a new container of Rio MTBs on October 1st, 27.5" wheels and 17AH battery. The price of the large Rio is the same, if you want the 17AH battery instead of the 13AH, it will cost you £100 more.
If you can ride either 26" or 27.5", the choice is down to the terrain. 27.5" tyres give higher top speed if derestricted but at less torque.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
The Oxygen has a 16amp controller. The Rio has a 17amp controller but comes from the shop set to 15amp (yes you can easily change it to 17). If you ask Woosh they will tell you why they lowered it.

• Dislike

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Sorry all. That's interesting and good to know. But my question was more about the legal cut out. On my oxygen you can enter in the LCD that you have smaller wheels so it doesn't read the speed correctly so therefore doesn't cutout at about 16.

• Dislike

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Woosh answered your question in the affirmative. On the LCD you can set the max speed up to...err...it's either 40 or 45kph. It doesn't mess up the speedometer like on yours.

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry all. That's interesting and good to know. But my question was more about the legal cut out. On my oxygen you can enter in the LCD that you have smaller wheels so it doesn't read the speed correctly so therefore doesn't cutout at about 16.
You can set the speed limit directly in the LCD with the correct size wheels so the speed display is correct.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi All,

Really great forum going here. I'm new to ebikes, but I'm looking at getting one. I'd like to commute once a week to work (20 miles each way with some hills) and also get some other use locally both on and off road.

I'm therefore thinking of going for a mountain bike or possibly hybrid.
I've seen good feedback on this from electricbikeconversions on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Mountain-E-Bike-500W-New-2017-Model-Fireball-Red-Black-27-5-Wheels-/112342482885?var=&hash=item1a28223fc5:m:msIrKEyULoKVAaeoHcojJXQ
Has anyone tried it or know if it would do the job?

Also, how would it compare to something like this:

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/e-bike/mountainbike/zr-team-hybrid/zr-team-hybrid-70-400/
Alternatively, is there a good conversion kit I could buy and bike recommendation that would be good?

Appreciate any help!

Andrew
The Radon bike is out because Bike Discount don't ship complete ebikes to the UK.

Although curiously, they sent me a Bosch battery on its own.

The Oxygen looks slightly better made than the woosh, so I reckon it's worth the extra few hundred.

Both bikes have good back-up, although woosh service is remote.

Being in Leeds, you could buy an Oxygen from Oxygen HQ - always easier if you can take the bike back to the supplier for service.

Whatever you get, make sure it has the biggest battery.

Your round trip of 40 miles would be pushing it for an 11ah battery, particularly if you want a bit of speed.

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Oxygen looks slightly better made than the woosh, so I reckon it's worth the extra few hundred.
better made in what way? welding? style? components?
or just the photography? pictures of the Oxygen are taken in studio where I took the pictures of the Rio MTB in the streets.

Last edited:

Andrew08

Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
Is it easy to derestrict on both the woosh and oxygen? I think the few extra mph would be helpful to me.

Also, would the battery on both do the job... 40 mile round trip with reasonable pedalling too.

Thanks for the help

• Informative

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Is it easy to derestrict on both the woosh and oxygen? I think the few extra mph would be helpful to me.

Also, would the battery on both do the job... 40 mile round trip with reasonable pedalling too.

Thanks for the help
Power consumption is case specific, but as a general point barelling along at 18/20mph will use a lot of juice.

I doubt an 11/13ah battery would do your round trip of 40 miles.

Woosh mentioned a 17ah Rio, which might be your best bet if only for the battery capacity.

The woosh Big Bear has a 15ah battery, and while not the latest design, is well thought of on here.

Shallow tread tyres at close to maximum recommended pressure will make the battery last longer.