Should I bother with registration?

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
If the motor is more powerful than 250W, or if it assists you when you’re riding more than 15.5 mph – it will need to be registered, insured and taxed as a motor vehicle. In this case, you will also need a driving licence, and you must wear a motorcycle helmet.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
If the motor is more powerful than 250W, or if it assists you when you’re riding more than 15.5 mph – it will need to be registered, insured and taxed as a motor vehicle. In this case, you will also need a driving licence, and you must wear a motorcycle helmet.
The Radrhino doesn't go over 15.5 mph. Although, it has a 750w motor, and I think you can adjust the power output to be only 250w.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike comes with a Certificate of Conformity so registration should be easier, under UK/EU law it isn't classed as an EAPC the drive motor is rated 750w.
A switch to make it a sheep in wolf's clothing doesn't count.
There is no UK S Pedelec class so it would have to be registered and licensed in the moped class.

Last edited:

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
It's funny, this is actually news to me. I know several people who ride similar electric bikes and never even considered registering them. Is this a new law?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's funny, this is actually news to me. I know several people who ride similar electric bikes and never even considered registering them. Is this a new law?
For many years our UK legal power limit was 200 watts, but more recently 250 watts to align with Europe.

The law has been widely ignored, but that comes at a risk of prosecution. In the event of an accident in which someone is seriously hurt or killed, the consequences could be very serious.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Since when and why? I had 4 electric bikes before, one with a 1000w motor, and I never registered them.
The EAPC law has been applicable since 1983.

Reactions: ohwheely19

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
[QUOTE="E Moses, post: 429405, member: 18541"

Do you guys really register your bikes?

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radrhino-electric-fat-bike?variant=52737433094
One or two have tried and successfully registered their builds, most don't bother probably 99.99%.

In Northern Ireland you have to register due to the assemblies incompetence when it was sitting.[/QUOTE]
I'm one of the 99.99% population :) I never cycle on motorways or big roads, so don't see the point.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm one of the 99.99% population :) I never cycle on motorways or big roads, so don't see the point.
The point is the risk you take by gambling. You are almost certain to get away with it, but could end up like very recent cyclist Charlie Alliston who accidentally killed someone when on an illegal bike.

He's currently in prison serving a one and a half year sentence.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ
D

Deleted member 4366

To register the bike, it must be type approved, then the C of C must say that your bike conforms with the one that was used in the approval test. It would surprise me if the C of C is just a self-made certificate to say what it is, not that it conforms with the type approved sample.

Ask the supplier if it's type approved. If the answer is no, registration will be very tricky.

Fat bikes look to much like motorbikes, so, unless you can convince people that it's 250w, you're going to have a hard time.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
The point is the risk you take by gambling. You are almost certain to get away with it, but could end up like very recent cyclist Charlie Alliston who accidentally killed someone when on an illegal bike.

He's currently in prison serving a one and a half year sentence.
Understandable. However, you can kill somebody with a normal bike. The two bike accidents I had, it was me who was almost killed and in both cases, it was reckless drivers. One drove into me while I was nonchalantly cycling on the pavement near my house. The other opened his van door without looking...I went bang, into his door. I had my child on back then, but I took the impact with my body. The guy offered to fix the bike and then disappeared, never heard from him again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Understandable. However, you can kill somebody with a normal bike.
The judge made clear in Charlie Alliston's case that the bike illegality made the difference. If his bike had been legal he wouldn't be in prison now.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Out of curiosity, is there a fine for riding an 'overpowered' bike? I can't find what the legal consequences may be...

Also, is there a way to adjust the motor to work as 250w only?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Out of curiosity, is there a fine for riding an 'overpowered' bike? I can't find what the legal consequences may be...

Also, is there a way to adjust the motor to work as 250w only?
1. You will be fined for riding a moped without insurance and without moped equipment.

2. It would be unride-able. The motor needs to be marked as 250 W by the constructor, that has nothing to do with the power it makes at the wheel.