Mobile tool kit

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
As a none regular biker I often find that when I need it stuff gets scattered to the winds, and the small all in one tool I bought with allen keys screwdriver and chain splitting tool has annoyingly taken to the hills.
Having bought a new bike back in January I still have hopes of riding it during 2024 and thought it would be an idea to put together a small emergency kit to carry with me.
I have the usual patches and glue, and wonder about a titanium 10 - 15 mm ring spanner, but I'm considering buying a new all in one tool .
Any positive experiences of such a tool? There is so much rubbish on offer these days.
Or a compact easy to carry kit that can just strap under the saddle.
Would appreciate the benefit of others experiences.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a none regular biker I often find that when I need it stuff gets scattered to the winds, and the small all in one tool I bought with allen keys screwdriver and chain splitting tool has annoyingly taken to the hills.
Having bought a new bike back in January I still have hopes of riding it during 2024 and thought it would be an idea to put together a small emergency kit to carry with me.
I have the usual patches and glue, and wonder about a titanium 10 - 15 mm ring spanner, but I'm considering buying a new all in one tool .
Any positive experiences of such a tool? There is so much rubbish on offer these days.
Or a compact easy to carry kit that can just strap under the saddle.
Would appreciate the benefit of others experiences.
Information Link

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
For my Brompton, I have most all of the tools I need in a teensy bag underneath the rear of the saddle.

Of the multitools I have looked at the Tern Multitool was the one that covered the most;

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/accessories/472/tern-tool

The 15mm spanner is good enough for the wheels, yes I did try before I needed to.

However, do not assume anything. Its imperative that you go around the bike checking your 'multitool' can reach every nut, bolt and screw. When I did this on Brompton I found I also needed a 1.5mm allen key and an straight\angled bit driver.

The Tern screw driver bits were pretty naff, so I found a real small bit driver;

Spare inner tube and puncture repair patches and glue of course, no self-adhesive patches here.

Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
They look OK. Depends what you expect. I have many multitools I gathered over years and they are always a compromise. They just good enough to patch up things and get home. Good enough is all what you need really.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
They look OK. Depends what you expect. I have many multitools I gathered over years and they are always a compromise. They just good enough to patch up things and get home. Good enough is all what you need really.
Yes I can imagine that any type of tool like this has to be a compromise, but these days there are so many cheap Chinese immitations, it would be frustrating to buy someting which turned out to be made from solder and just makes things worse

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes I can imagine that any type of tool like this has to be a compromise, but these days there are so many cheap Chinese immitations, it would be frustrating to buy someting which turned out to be made from solder and just makes things worse
When I was at the Shanghai bike show, the guy, who makes the Crankbrothers tools was there. He makes the same tools for various brands and some are unbranded. They're all identical apart from the branding. The only difference is the price you pay from the retailer. The best thing was that at the end of the show, he'd sell his display tools for next to nothing, so I got a few. The multi-tools on Ebay range from really good to rubbish, but you can identify the good ones by the precision, particularly in the chain-splitter. The crab ones have rounded corners and the good ones have a very clearly defined shape. The good cheap ones were all over Ebay a few years ago, but now I only see the branded ones.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Don't overthink it. It is just a multitool. Buy one and get on a bike.

PS I like multitool I bought at Lidl. It was only few £

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Topeak make good multi tools, which are often copied by cheaper sets which tells you much.

As pointed out above. It is something you're going to have to rely on in a situation, so buying cheap might leave you stuck. We arent talking about bank breaking sums.

I've a Topeak something or other. I think its the PT mini30. Got it half price in the CRC sell off. Bargain. Not that I've actually used it yet, but it lives in one of the panniers, just in case.

You can get little tool kits that hide inside the handlebars at the grips, and theres another that goes down into the steerer tube and even one that goes into the crank axle, if youve the hollow axle type, but the most popular of that type lives in the steerer tube.

Steerer tube kits
Handlebar kit
Wolftool make a good mini tool that incorporates a set of quicklink pliers. If you've any experience of quicklinks, you'll know how difficult to remove they can be, which makes having the pliers with you a breeze.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't bother with mini tools. I carry every tool I need for small repairs and adjustments, including chain link pliers and a Top Peak chain link remover/connector - all of the cheapos are single use. Mini pump, magic link, spare chain link, pliers, spoke keys, Allen key set, small adjustable wrench, small multi spanner, spare QR skewer, multi-screwdriver, all sorts in a small but heavy bag... I used to carry inner tubes and a puncture repair kit too, but with Marathon Plus, they're not needed - in the event, I'd fold my bike into a taxi/bus/train. All of my toolkit tools are well used tried and tested. "Be prepared" as Bruce Wilis used to say, but I doubt he remembers.

Last edited:

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Appreciate all the input, that wolf tool looks interesting
While I've been sitting here on this wet afternoon I found this offer:
Offer
So I jumped in and ordered (looks like a decent price) now I need to pack up my mini saddle bag with the patches and other stuff.
Going to spend some time checking for what fits what to make sure I have what I need.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Appreciate all the input, that wolf tool looks interesting
While I've been sitting here on this wet afternoon I found this offer:
Offer
So I jumped in and ordered (looks like a decent price) now I need to pack up my mini saddle bag with the patches and other stuff.
Going to spend some time checking for what fits what to make sure I have what I need.
I'd be hopping mad :mad:... if the chainlink tool on this turned out to be single use:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I did build a 'cheap' toolkit for eBrompton, here is the writeup

Individual tools.

You can build up a kit of the needed tools, but to get the weight close to the Tern setup (209g) you will need to use a 15mm Titanium wrench, see below.

A 1.5mm allen key is needed for the grub screw that secures the gear inner wire on the chain pusher at the rear of eBrompton. Here a 1.5mm hex bit on something like the angled drive shown below can be used but then so can a standard plain allen key. So why use a hex bit when you can use a real allen key ? In a 1.5mm size the allen key is lighter than a hex bit too, by around 4g.

Most small hex bits weigh about 5g, which is around the weight of a 3mm allen key, so it makes sense, and its more convenient to use proper allen keys in the 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm sizes. Then use hex bits for 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm sizes. For instance even a short 8mm allen key weighs in at a hefty 17g whilst an 8mm hex bit is a mere 9g.

Something like a normal simple screwdriver handle could be good for the hex bits but they tend to be a bit big and heavy. The simple ratchet wrench as supplied with the Brompton kit is almost satisfactory but if you actually try to use it its awkward to impossible to reach some bolts where you really need to use a long allen key in a screwdriver fashion.

Sure a simple ratchet driver can make for quick work and is good and for workshop use. However we are building an embedded tool kit for use when out and about and hopefully we might never use it, so does it really need to be sleek and efficient or is ‘it will do’ good enough ?

I searched around and I found a simple holder for the drive bits, its a cross between a screwdriver type handle and an angled hex drive. It cost £3, weighs 52.7g. See the picture below.

A 3.2mm and 3.5mm spoke key is needed, the lightest I found was on Aliexpress, 24.6g.

Separate rivet extractors tend to be heavy, around 75g. There is a low cost, around £6, multi tool that is similar to the Tern multi tool that has a built in rivet extractor, and cut down this provides a rivet extractor that weighs in at 29g.

Compared to some multi tools most of the above mentioned set of individual tools is very low cost, so we can slash out on the decent 15mm wheel spanner that we need. The ‘substantial’ titanium one I found on Aliexpress costs £16 and it weighs in at 23.6g, it also has the 10mm spanner needed for the mudguard bolts, left on the picture below. An equivalent steel spanner of the same type would weigh around 50g.

We need to add in small open ended 8mm, 10mm and 15mm wrenches. Thin versions can be found very cheap on Aliexpress.

The total weigh of all these individual tools is 201g, just lighter and a lot cheaper than a toolkit based on the Tern tool.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I did build a 'cheap' toolkit for eBrompton, here is the writeup

Individual tools.

You can build up a kit of the needed tools, but to get the weight close to the Tern setup (209g) you will need to use a 15mm Titanium wrench, see below.

A 1.5mm allen key is needed for the grub screw that secures the gear inner wire on the chain pusher at the rear of eBrompton. Here a 1.5mm hex bit on something like the angled drive shown below can be used but then so can a standard plain allen key. So why use a hex bit when you can use a real allen key ? In a 1.5mm size the allen key is lighter than a hex bit too, by around 4g.

Most small hex bits weigh about 5g, which is around the weight of a 3mm allen key, so it makes sense, and its more convenient to use proper allen keys in the 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm sizes. Then use hex bits for 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm sizes. For instance even a short 8mm allen key weighs in at a hefty 17g whilst an 8mm hex bit is a mere 9g.

Something like a normal simple screwdriver handle could be good for the hex bits but they tend to be a bit big and heavy. The simple ratchet wrench as supplied with the Brompton kit is almost satisfactory but if you actually try to use it its awkward to impossible to reach some bolts where you really need to use a long allen key in a screwdriver fashion.

Sure a simple ratchet driver can make for quick work and is good and for workshop use. However we are building an embedded tool kit for use when out and about and hopefully we might never use it, so does it really need to be sleek and efficient or is ‘it will do’ good enough ?

I searched around and I found a simple holder for the drive bits, its a cross between a screwdriver type handle and an angled hex drive. It cost £3, weighs 52.7g. See the picture below.

A 3.2mm and 3.5mm spoke key is needed, the lightest I found was on Aliexpress, 24.6g.

Separate rivet extractors tend to be heavy, around 75g. There is a low cost, around £6, multi tool that is similar to the Tern multi tool that has a built in rivet extractor, and cut down this provides a rivet extractor that weighs in at 29g.

Compared to some multi tools most of the above mentioned set of individual tools is very low cost, so we can slash out on the decent 15mm wheel spanner that we need. The ‘substantial’ titanium one I found on Aliexpress costs £16 and it weighs in at 23.6g, it also has the 10mm spanner needed for the mudguard bolts, left on the picture below. An equivalent steel spanner of the same type would weigh around 50g.

We need to add in small open ended 8mm, 10mm and 15mm wrenches. Thin versions can be found very cheap on Aliexpress.

The total weigh of all these individual tools is 201g, just lighter and a lot cheaper than a toolkit based on the Tern tool.

View attachment 57480

View attachment 57479
Now that has me thinking about a project to make something similar. You are right about the allen keys being lighter and better, even if I put in some of my ball end Bacho ones weight would be low, need to look at the 15 - 10mm titanium spanner but not the alli express ones

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Multitool
Small pump
Co2 cannister x 2
Puncture repair kit
Spare tube
Tyre levers
Spare quick link
Zip ties

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
To throw a spanner in the works as it were :D...has anyone mentioned the nut on hub motors (assuming you are using a hub drive) is usually 18 mm?

I commute over 20 miles each day. I rarely carry any tools, not even a pump or repair kit. Modern puncture resistant tyres mean you almost never get a puncture and I keep the bike in a good state before I ride.

I wouldn't over think it, unless you are travelling long distance into the back of beyond.