£2k Ebike for big/tall rider? Desired specs inside

cd1989

Just Joined
Nov 24, 2021
A bit of background, I weigh around 20st and of course looking to get that down, I am also 6ft 4 so I fit comfortably in the "big and tall" category! I already have a human powered MTB which I absolutely love and (if I have the motivation) I can go for a decent 10-12 miles on human power alone on rough terrain around the forest etc... I am however looking for an ebike to give me more motivation to get out and explore, particularly longer off road rides (or more comfortable rides) for wildlife watching, cycling to work (10ish miles) or going through the local villages, river paths etc..

From researching online I've decided I want the following:
  • Budget up to 2k (I could push £2,200 or so but not £2,5000)
  • Motor torque 60nm+
  • Range: 35 miles+ (Given that the actual range will be less than advertised and the battery will degrade over time, I'd like to be able to safely do 25 miles real world)
  • Centrally mounted motor (Open to discussion, but this seems the preferred set up)
  • Torque sensor with throttle override (see below)
  • Ideally UK legal
  • Frame size/capacity suitable to my physique
In terms of the throttle it's my understanding that provided the pedals are in motion then a thumb throttle (not a twisty) is road legal up to the permitted 15.5MPH. What I would really love is a torque sensor (since I enjoy the physical activity and this gives a better feel and motor response) but with the option to push a button and just move my legs with zero torque required to recover, power up hills or just if I get lazy on the way home. It seems a few manufacturers do this sort of set up and this would keep it road legal. I don't particularly fancy points on my otherwise clean driving license because I went too fast on a pedal bike.

So far it seems Woosh (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino) have pretty much everything covered but it's a rear hub motor which I am not so keen on. From looking around it seems a central motor feels better and is generally regarded as the better option? It also looks to me like the Woosh bikes are more or less standard bikes that Woosh have them retrofitted with (maybe customised) electric systems with dodgy chinese names which puts me off. Whisper also do some good stuff in terms of specs (https://wisperbikes.com/shop/e-bikes/crossbar-ebikes/wayfarer-m9-mid-drive-crossbar/) but honestly it looks like crap and I can't see myself riding around on it. Sure I could probably get it resprayed but it's already at the top end of my budget.

It also seems Cyclotricity do some beefy bikes but I can't see how they're road legal and their website isn't working so I can't investigate further.

EDIT: I have also considered a conversion for my existing bike since the frame is ideal for me but I think a conversion will end in a substandard bike compared to buying something more dedicated. I also worry about the additional weight of the electrics plus my own weight causing issues with the existing frame.

Last edited: