129.6 watt Nova downtube upgrade

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Trying to mount 24lbs cells on 24lb bike ?

Hi All,

Ive been contemplating how I can turn my Nova Downtube into more of a long range scooter and believe I have partly found the solution though I am bit worried about the balancing.

With my idea then I planned to use 8 40AH ( 3.24 V EACH ) with crystalyte a hub ( phoenix cruiser came to mind )

The problem is I wanted the motor at the rear more where the cells would be ( the cells themselves would weigh almost the same as the bike at 24 lbs ) though I have seen bike racks for folder which claim support 50lbs - of course this was still too be small given the dimesion of batteries ( 7 " length x 5 " width )

Given that - and the fact I am using frame like the one below

Downtube 2010 no suspension Bike

Is there any way I can realistically expect to mount this at all or is it just too much weight ?

thanks

tepol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I understand that you want to ingrease range: Do you already have the batteries, or is that you can get them cheap? If so how much? What range do you need? How high are the batteries - you only give the length and width, or are they cylindrical? How much do they weigh? I'm asking these questions because there may be a better way to achieve what you want.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I understand that you want to ingrease range: Do you already have the batteries, or is that you can get them cheap? If so how much? What range do you need? How high are the batteries - you only give the length and width, or are they cylindrical? How much do they weigh? I'm asking these questions because there may be a better way to achieve what you want.
Neither I have options perhaps to acquire the equvelant of 36 volt bafang which seems like my best option i.e. if add extra rack for more space .

these prismatic cells ( calbs ) are 3.31 lbs each so not light .

I was looking to try to get 30 miles at least with some ( just in case ) and anything between 7 - 12 mph

I was looking to go offroad i mean just down forest paths - not hardcore as my physical issues would make that impossible , so thats why i wanted bit of suspension .

tepol

D

Deleted member 4366

I have 3 Bafang motors in 26" wheels. They work extremely well. The easiest way to convert your bike would be to fit a front hub motor (freewheeling one like Bafang or Tongxin) and one of these type batteries which fix to your seat post.
36V Lithium Ion Little Frog ABS Shell Battery Pack For EBike [Frog36V] - $109.00 : BMSBATTERY!, The Art of Battery
The controller goes in the compartment under the battery, which makes a neat installation. You can get the whole kit with this type of battery from Eezee and it will be easy plug together but expensive, or you can get the whole kit from BMSBattery for half the price, but you may have to adapt a couple of connectors.
This setup will give a range of about 30miles with pedalling, or about 15 without. You can always get a second battery and put it in a pannier or whatever, which is what I do for extended tours.
Finally managed to find this: The guy was advertising the same kit in 20" version. It might be worth contacting him
36v 250w Electric bike conversion kit for 26 inch wheel bicycle at Online buybuybicycles.com

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Im looking at something else now on offer that has 24 v bafang motor in it.

with 36v 30 a it should do well according to someone i know who already had one.

Maybe not quite 30 miles but close .

thanks for responding.

tepol