12V accessory circuit - coupling to phone charger kit

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Got the bits for a box-mounted 12V accessory circuit on order which will have a cigarette lighter-style socket accepting various inputs.

Just trying to resolve some connector complications......

Evaluating this mobile charging kit which is designed to be hard wired to a motorcycle battery at the terminals but I'm looking to adapt to connect via the cig socket outlet using one of these, which is compatible with the socket :

Socket Outlet 12 Volt Locking Plug with Boot Marine Motorcycle Anti Vibration | eBay

Here's the charging kit with full details :

Motorcycle Hardwire Battery Charging Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 Hard Waterproof Case

I like the kit as it has these features without my having to find and assemble them :

Input Voltage: DC 6-24V
Maximum Charging Current: 1A
Output Voltage: DC 5V
Reverse Voltage Protection
Short-Circuit Protection
Overload Protection
Water Resistance
Keep the phone charged while travelling
Built in Surge Protector
On / Off Switch for easy access to disable when not in use

... plus I already have the compatible phone case and mounts installed.

So my question is : could I just fit the kit connector wires into the locking plug above, and plug into my 12V accessory charging socket instead of hard wiring to the battery step down converter ?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Got the bits for a box-mounted 12V accessory circuit on order which will have a cigarette lighter-style socket accepting various inputs.

Just trying to resolve some connector complications......

Evaluating this mobile charging kit which is designed to be hard wired to a motorcycle battery at the terminals but I'm looking to adapt to connect via the cig socket outlet using one of these, which is compatible with the socket :

Socket Outlet 12 Volt Locking Plug with Boot Marine Motorcycle Anti Vibration | eBay

Here's the charging kit with full details :

Motorcycle Hardwire Battery Charging Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 Hard Waterproof Case

I like the kit as it has these features without my having to find and assemble them :

Input Voltage: DC 6-24V
Maximum Charging Current: 1A
Output Voltage: DC 5V
Reverse Voltage Protection
Short-Circuit Protection
Overload Protection
Water Resistance
Keep the phone charged while travelling
Built in Surge Protector
On / Off Switch for easy access to disable when not in use

... plus I already have the compatible phone case and mounts installed.

So my question is : could I just fit the kit connector wires into the locking plug above, and plug into my 12V accessory charging socket instead of hard wiring to the battery step down converter ?
I don't see no reason why not, providing you're able to put the right voltage into that kit, it should work fine shouldn't it?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I don't see no reason why not, providing you're able to put the right voltage into that kit, it should work fine shouldn't it?
I'd have thought so ... might just need to cut off the battery screw terminal ends and wire into connector.

Still in Devon - just gone into the garage and found a very neat little 12v lawnmower battery on the shelf. Started wondering whether to build in one of these as the 12v supply source instead. I'd never have given it a 2nd glance before all this bike thing started.

My own internal wiring is changing by the week - feel like a metamorphosis is going on lol.