2 months of Tonaro Bighit

marcuswilky

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2011
I have had a Bighit for the last 2 months and I can’t praise it enough. I cycle 10 miles to work most days (and of course another 10 miles home) I also regularly go out in the evening and at east once on a weekend. I find the bike excellent for riding to work and gets me there a lot less sweaty and breathless than a normal bike. Work is along roads and the ride is good on the roads and I easily cruise the 10 miles in half and hour. On an evening I tend to go around the local cycle ways and bridle paths and whilst these are not the smoothest the suspension doesn’t get a full workout. For the weekend I like to go further a field and try some rough tracks where the suspension gets a full workout. With all these different surfaces and with a large variety of gradients I feel I have given the bike a good trial and I have found it to be the most excellent of rides
I have changed the front mudguard for a better one and the saddle for one with a little more padding, I think that I need a little more padding because I am sitting for longer and not having to stand up to get the bike up every hill.

The bad news is I have had a problem with a ratchet in the drive gears. Phil from Powerpedals sorted it straight away (the service I have received from Powerpedals has been fantastic). But I would be interested to here if anyone else has had a problem of any type with the Tonaro Cycles.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi marcuswilky
i have had my Tonaro Bighit for a few weeks and i think it is brilliant,and have had no problems that i did not cause myself ,wonderful machine ,what happend to your

ratchet in the drive gears,and what symptoms did you get,my friend ,very best wishes Brian.

marcuswilky

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Ratchet problems

The problem I had was that whilst the bike was on assist and being driven forward by the motor and pedals everything was fine but as I stopped pedaling the ratchet had locked and the pedals continued to rotate. I managed to get the bike home but had to pedal with the motor engaged which made it a little hard.
Phil from powerpedals imediataly exchanged it but always worried that it is a weak spot and not a one off part failure.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
The problem I had was that whilst the bike was on assist and being driven forward by the motor and pedals everything was fine but as I stopped pedaling the ratchet had locked and the pedals continued to rotate. I managed to get the bike home but had to pedal with the motor engaged which made it a little hard.
Phil from powerpedals imediataly exchanged it but always worried that it is a weak spot and not a one off part failure.
Wow this is not good news,sorry you had the problem,but lets hope it is not a weak spot,can i ask was it clicking before you had the problem?,very best wishes Brian.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Hi Marcus,

I had my Tonaro Enduro delivered to Denmark at the beginning of the week. The only problem I had was that the gear lever was on the left and all the numbers were upside down, which I thought to be quite strange. I simply changed the throttle to the left and the gears to the right. The only odd bit now is that to use the throttle I need to push forward with my left hand instead of back with my right.

It is not a problem at all, in fact it makes more sense in a strange way. I just won`t try it with the Moto Guzzi.

I used the Enduro for the first time in anger today. I have a 20km ride to work and usually do this on a road bike in about 50-55 minutes but it is a hard training slog as it is up and down all the way. I did it in about 40 minutes today and it was a total doddle. I kept thinking I should be going faster than this but when I looked at my speed I was doing 31KPH. My average speed on the road bike is about 21KPH.

When I got home I still had 3 lights on the battery and so I realised that the more effort I put in, the less power is taken out of the battery.

I have changed the seat for my Brooks seat and the really awful pedals for Shimano pedals. I am just going to order some Schwalbe road tyres as the tyres that come with the bike are really full out mountain bike tyres.

The ZOOM forks have been criticised in the past but for a road commuting bike they soak up the bumps and potholes very well. What they are like offroad on the Bighit, I do not know, but they are great for what I use it for.

On the way home it rained cats and dogs all the way. So much so, all my gear including my Shimano MTB boots are banging around the tumbler at the moment. It proved that the bike can handle water without a problem.

It is a bit early for a full review but if it carries on like today I will be very pleased.

+1 regarding Phils customer service. It has been excellent.

Steve

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi Marcus,

I had my Tonaro Enduro delivered to Denmark at the beginning of the week. The only problem I had was that the gear lever was on the left and all the numbers were upside down, which I thought to be quite strange. I simply changed the throttle to the left and the gears to the right. The only odd bit now is that to use the throttle I need to push forward with my left hand instead of back with my right.

It is not a problem at all, in fact it makes more sense in a strange way. I just won`t try it with the Moto Guzzi.

I used the Enduro for the first time in anger today. I have a 20km ride to work and usually do this on a road bike in about 50-55 minutes but it is a hard training slog as it is up and down all the way. I did it in about 40 minutes today and it was a total doddle. I kept thinking I should be going faster than this but when I looked at my speed I was doing 31KPH. My average speed on the road bike is about 21KPH.

When I got home I still had 3 lights on the battery and so I realised that the more effort I put in, the less power is taken out of the battery.

I have changed the seat for my Brooks seat and the really awful pedals for Shimano pedals. I am just going to order some Schwalbe road tyres as the tyres that come with the bike are really full out mountain bike tyres.

The ZOOM forks have been criticised in the past but for a road commuting bike they soak up the bumps and potholes very well. What they are like offroad on the Bighit, I do not know, but they are great for what I use it for.

On the way home it rained cats and dogs all the way. So much so, all my gear including my Shimano MTB boots are banging around the tumbler at the moment. It proved that the bike can handle water without a problem.

It is a bit early for a full review but if it carries on like today I will be very pleased.

+1 regarding Phils customer service. It has been excellent.

Steve
Hi Steve i have the Tonaro Bighit which i am really pleased with it ,i know you have the Tonaro Enduro ,but i was wondering if you have the three button setting for the different power or hill climbing,only my button does not seem to do an aweful lot ,is yours ok,and can you tell the difference in the settings,very best wishes Brian.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Hi Scarrabi, I have the Bighit. I can confirm there is a dramatic power difference from 1 - 3. If you are zipping along you must be stuck on 3, I would guess. How are your brakes? I am struggling to get them right. I have the front one settled down but cannot get the back right. Either dragging or nothing at all.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi Scarrabi, I have the Bighit. I can confirm there is a dramatic power difference from 1 - 3. If you are zipping along you must be stuck on 3, I would guess. How are your brakes? I am struggling to get them right. I have the front one settled down but cannot get the back right. Either dragging or nothing at all.
Hi PJM,thanks for reply ,but my brakes are working very well so i have not touched them,they certainly dont drag,and pull up quite good ,i think they are a little better than last week ,so i must assume they are settling in,sorry i cant be of any more help ,i hope you sort them,very best wishes Brian.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I find there is a big difference in the 3 settings. I have not had any problems with the brakes at all. The wheel just slotted in when I got the bike and they worked fine right from the start.

Maybe you need to speak to Phil about the setting button.

Steve