2017 Giant Full-e problem

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Hi, anyone here had this problem and know what it might be?
Bike was bought new and used daily as my only form of transport as I have a back injury and surprisinly riding a bike is less painful than sitting in a car. Anyway. bike cared for and not abused as only used on the road. Went to switch on this morning, display flashed on for a second or so as if its starting but then switches off. Press the battery button and all 5 lights turn on. Apart from having to replace the speed sensor a few years ago this bike has been faultless and I'm utterly lost without it. Back injury prohibits walking any distance without severe pain so really hoping this is a not too expensive fix.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even my King meter display has a back up battery they for keeping the time clock accurate so wll wear out eventually.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
All sealed up. Don't think there is a battery, no realtime clock so no need for one. My chinese kit I had before had one. But If this did need one I'm sure it would be in the Giant manual.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
A quick look on Giant's website suggests they do for the current models so I am sure they do for your older one. Another possibility is a capacitor of some sort in there.
What happens if you try to switch the bike on with no battery fitted, does the display still light up?

Normal behaviour for a Yamaha powered bike is to press the on switch which wakes up the (battery powered) display. The display attempts to communicate with the battery, if it is successful the bike is switched on. If it can't communicate with the battery after 5 seconds it switches off. The battery is incapable of supplying current until it has been switched on. Please don't go sticking multimeter probes in the battery to see what it says, at best you will see some voltage leakage which will quickly decay. At worst you will pull some current which will activate the battery protection, this cannot be reset and will render the battery useless.
I know Giant have their own software in the motor but I can't see then changing the fundamental way the system works.

Last edited:

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
A quick look on Giant's website suggests they do for the current models so I am sure they do for your older one. Another possibility is a capacitor of some sort in there.
What happens if you try to switch the bike on with no battery fitted, does the display still light up?

Normal behaviour for a Yamaha powered bike is to press the on switch which wakes up the (battery powered) display. The display attempts to communicate with the battery, if it is successful the bike is switched on. If it can't communicate with the battery after 5 seconds it switches off. The battery is incapable of supplying current until it has been switched on. Please don't go sticking multimeter probes in the battery to see what it says, at best you will see some voltage leakage which will quickly decay. At worst you will pull some current which will activate the battery protection, this cannot be reset and will render the battery useless.
I know Giant have their own software in the motor but I can't see then changing the fundamental way the system works.
Newer ones have a clock and wireless connections, this is a pretty dumb display, just speed, trip and power level, no clock and no obvious way of getting inside, the colour Evo display from the same year had a clock so maybe that had a battery. It flashes on for a second, no more then blank, If i remove the battery it'll do the same but only once. Then nothing.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Newer ones have a clock and wireless connections, this is a pretty dumb display, just speed, trip and power level, no clock and no obvious way of getting inside, the colour Evo display from the same year had a clock so maybe that had a battery. It flashes on for a second, no more then blank, If i remove the battery it'll do the same but only once. Then nothing.
I did go through the battery service menus/self check and got ok on all tests

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
It sounds like the display does have a capacitor and is not communicating with the battery. All you can realistically do is separate any connections (including removing the battery)and make sure everything is clean and dry. Spray everything with contact cleaner while it is apart.
If that doesn't sort it then it's off to a dealer with diagnostic software.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Ordered a new display to try that. It's the cheapest option. Battery self test says it's ok so praying it's not that. Big chunk of change for a new battery. Although I've got to stop looking at bikes on eBay now fearing the worst, I'm eyeing up a Flyon Haibike that I really can't afford.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont want a flyon motor but if peter at ebike motor centre wont touch it dont buy it.

giant use the yamaha motors but use there own displays batts and motor controllers with can bus coms like bosch ect.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
you dont want a flyon motor but if peter at ebike motor centre wont touch it dont buy it.

giant use the yamaha motors but use there own displays batts and motor controllers with can bus coms like bosch ect.
Are the Flyons no good? Just liked the idea of a little extra grunt. I trailer all my diving gear around with mine and a multitude of other stuff in an overloaded trailer. Not that I've ever had much of a problem with my 80nm motor.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with no warranty means a very expensive replacement motor also no parts either.

id get a bafang hd kit with the programming cable and that will give you 30a controller and throttle cheap easy to replace parts and it will pi$$ all over my bike.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
with no warranty means a very expensive replacement motor also no parts either.

id get a bafang hd kit with the programming cable and that will give you 30a controller and throttle cheap easy to replace parts and it will pi$$ all over my bike.
My first venture into ebikes was with a bafang conversion of my rockhopper. Got the Giant Full-e in a JEJames sale for £1800, it's done work, nearly 7000 miles. Really happy with it until yesterday morning.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well lets hope a new display sorts the problem but those motors will need new bearings arond 15000 miles.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
well lets hope a new display sorts the problem but those motors will need new bearings arond 15000 miles.
Well, new display seems to have sorted it, thankfully. Also a nice upgrade to the Evo display.
Just need to buy a mounting bracket for the display now, didn't realise it wouldn't come with one.
IMG_20230819_133035.jpg

Reactions: soundwave

Related Articles

Advertisers