27.5 bad for road use?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mhale make the motors for the sl but it is only 35nm of power and thats not much at all power wise.

there is also no service option for those motors yet but you really need to have a go on one b4 spending big as you might not like it at all.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I’ve not been on a bike for 30 years. I need all the help I can get.

Bosch was my preference. I wasnt aware of anything other than the main 4 apart from the bafang
motor that seem popular on Chinese kit bikes.

Yamaha are not in any of the bikes I was looking at but seem a good option if they are the easiest to maintain.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well id think you would hate the sl then but is there no dealers local where you can try a few out?

thing is with the bafangs you can programme the controllers so you dont need a dongle to remove the speed limit

my motor has 75nm and my m8s has 160nm bafang hd and can hit over 40mph with the throttle.

off road it falls to bits tho but the bike is crap anyway.

tho you will need a frame to fit that motor.

Last edited:

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I like the idea of a throttle. I thought that would be frowned upon here.

Are they discreet?

160nm sounds great.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is just a basic thumb push throttle on my m8s bike and uses it every day for 2 years no going to work and back.

but if you want to hammer it you will need a big batt like 20ah plus which wont be cheap like 600 quid.

my bosch 500w 13ah cost £633 :rolleyes:

you can also have a throttle with the cyc motors but the photon has only just came out.

you can get motors with way more power but then the size of the batt starts to get stupid big and heavy.
275nm

210bhp:cool:

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
The bike in the link is nice. Surely the police pull anything like that?

Ive been thinking I need to keep everything discreet and standard looking?

I like the idea of a thumb push throttle.

I did see a video on YouTube. The guy fitted a uprated motor to a Whyte bike and had his battery in a backpack.

I wouldn’t be anywhere near brave enough to have a 210bhp bike of any kind.

Love rwd high power cars though )

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
like a stealth bomber or a suron you run the risk esp if u take the pi$$ but thats the same with anything like running down the road with a running chainsaw.

with the programming cable you can push these things alot power wise or more with a different controller.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I’d be happy with 35mph and plenty of torque for hills.

I wouldn’t take the **** at my age. Last thing I need is a broken leg or hassle from the police.

Would it be possible to gut a Levo or similar and put the new battery in the down tube?

This shop is local if anything is above my skill level. https://hardybicycles.co.uk/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
most of the new bikes use down tube batts but if you want to use a dongle to remove the speed limit you need space for a bigger front chain ring and some frames wont let you go up any bigger at the front esp on the levo.

if i hit 120 rpm at the cranks i can hit 39.6 mph but i cant keep that up for long and 52t.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I don’t mind fitting bigger chain ring.

Just want to avoid and visible batteries if possible.

You’ve been a great help mate. Appreciate it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
38t wont fit or you will need to use spacers to push the chain ring out and screwup the chain line, they do it on purpose so a dongle wont make much difference anyway :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I’m open to any bike. Not stuck on the Levo. Been looking at them because there a few for sale locally.

If there is a bike that takes a bigger chain ring with no hassle that would be preferable.

Was just looking at haibikes. You get a lot more for the money than with specialized.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Looks great mate.

I wouldn’t be changing if I was in your position either. 40mph is enough for me.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Not keen on the colour but I’ve seen it in green.

Seems a great price for a carbon bike.
46DD11F6-EC19-46BF-A4C3-8A6ACC3CD0D8.png

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Yes. Its got the full 2 years. Done 1000 miles.

20 hours to go on the auction, not 2.

Those prices aren’t bad. Similar to labour costs in a garage. Can live with that. I’m used to it.
They bought an ebike for £11k and are willing to let it go for whatever it fetches at auction (unless they have set a reserve) and they only rode it for 1000 miles. Is there a story behind this? Ebike motor problems, excessive drivetrain wear, not confident in the ebike to work correctly. You see so many of these high end ebikes that get sold early and they are only a niche of the overall market. The average price of a bike sold in the UK is about £400 including ebikes and those figures are taken from independent bike shops, halfords and a few others. Not all sellers are included, I don't think ebay or Amazon is and of course aliexpress and personal imports aren't included. I could be wrong but it seems to me that a far higher percentage of these high end bikes are resold quickly. Of course you could make the case that there is more money tied up in the bike than cheaper ebikes so if people don't use them they are more motivated to sell as more money is at stake. The staggering depreciation hits people are taking on these ebikes. Losing many thousands of pounds over a short time. A well chosen 2nd hand bike and a mid-drive conversion kit could achieve a similar performance level for a tiny fraction of the price and have the ability to repair, modify and customise easily and cheaply. You can even move the motor to a different bike if you like the motor but dislike the bike. It's far more sustainable too.

I just think 'proprietary' is the thing to avoid in cycling. If a bike has a high level of proprietary components which means expensive to buy, expensive to repair and often impossible to repair then I avoid like the plague. It's a way of controlling consumers and milking them for money. Once you buy into their ecosystem then your fat wallet becomes an anorexic wallet.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not keen on the colour but I’ve seen it in green.

Seems a great price for a carbon bike.
View attachment 50099
the Haibike is a good buy. You'll need to fit lights, mudguard, propstand, Schwalbe Marathon Plus puncture proof tyres and innertubes (they are not tubeless) to make it suitable for commuting. Bikes for commuting are for the best part utilitarian.

Related Articles

Advertisers