3000 trouble free miles

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I would just like to post some good news :) My Focus Jam 2 has just turned 3000 miles in less than 2 years without any issues whatsoever with the Shimano motor, battery or display. Fair wear and tear items such as chains and cassettes have been replaced but otherwise the frame, bearings, shocks, dropper post are all original and have performed exactly as they should. A bit different from my previous Bulls which had a new Brose motor, new display and new battery within 6 months of purchase! Here's to the next 3000.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I didn't say I lost count, simply I did not count. Conditions vary, I simply replace when they are .5 and I check before lubricating.

D

Deleted member 25121

I didn't say I lost count, simply I did not count. Conditions vary, I simply replace when they are .5 and I check before lubricating.
So that would have been 2 or more chains and cassettes in 3000 miles.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So that would have been 2 or more chains and cassettes in 3000 miles.
I think most people would remember twice, so I think we can say 3, 4, or 5. Lets take the middle one, which would equate to one every 750 miles. For somebody doing 15 miles each way to work (150 miles a week), that would be a a new chain a cassette every 5 weeks. If I'm honest, that's not quite what I'd call trouble-free, but I guess it depends what your used to.

Last edited:

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I think most people would remember twice, so I think we can say 3, 4, or 5. Lets take the middle one, which would equate to one every 750 miles. For somebody doing 15 miles each way to work (150 miles a week), that would be a a new chain a cassette every 5 weeks. If I'm honest, that's not quite what I'd call trouble-free, but I guess it depends what your used to.
To be fair the OP didn’t say that he was just commuting to work. He could have been solely using the bike in bike parks with mud and or sand. Possibly doing long uphills on full power.
Two of us recently hired new Marida bikes in Spain which had the Shimano motors. They were a pain in the ar##. Error 013 was coming up almost every time we stopped. I had to remove and replace the battery to clear it. Also the motor was extremely jerky and felt like it was relying on torque only to supply power. This was happening on both bikes. The op is lucky to be satisfied but I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole.

D

Deleted member 25121

To be fair the OP didn’t say that he was just commuting to work. He could have been solely using the bike in bike parks with mud and or sand. Possibly doing long uphills on full power.
Two of us recently hired new Marida bikes in Spain which had the Shimano motors. They were a pain in the ar##. Error 013 was coming up almost every time we stopped. I had to remove and replace the battery to clear it. Also the motor was extremely jerky and felt like it was relying on torque only to supply power. This was happening on both bikes. The op is lucky to be satisfied but I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole.
The OP has a Focus Jam 2, not a Marida.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
in about 6000 miles over 5 years i have had 4 chains two cassettes ,sold the old one as still had life in it and about ten ses wheel bearings.

and i use a dongle :p

DSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPG
and it looks like brand new inside bit more lube and ready for another 5 years;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
in about 6000 miles over 5 years i have had 4 chains two cassettes ,sold the old one as still had life in it and about ten ses wheel bearings.

and i use a dongle :p

View attachment 33396View attachment 33397
and it looks like brand new inside bit more lube and ready for another 5 years;)
Didn't you spot the worn out rheocepter in the middle of the pcb? I wouldn't have put it back together in that condition. It could fail at any moment.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Ah. Do all bikes with Bosch motors behave like those Marida ones?
But the thread above is about Shimano motors. Did you mean to ask 'Do all bikes Bosch motor bikes behave like those Shimano motor Marida bikes?' (my anwser, My bike with an older Bosch motor certainly doesn't. ), or did you mean to ask about all bikes with Shimano motors?

D

Deleted member 25121

But the thread above is about Shimano motors. Did you mean to ask 'Do all bikes Bosch motor bikes behave like those Shimano motor Marida bikes?' (my anwser, My bike with an older Bosch motor certainly doesn't. ), or did you mean to ask about all bikes with Shimano motors?
Thanks, I've corrected my posting.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Ah. Do all bikes with Bosch Shimano motors behave like those Marida ones?
After my experience I have to assume they do. I think it is called a judgment call before parting with your money. Perhaps your views would be more lenient, each to his own.

Related Articles

Advertisers