5 years old, time for new bike?

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
My Bergamont full suspension (Bosch cx) is 5 years and has done over 6,000km (3,000km on second motor). Still seems to run ok but has fair bit of wear and tear.

Currently in shop to replace bearing on drive pulley-wheel and a few other parts on drive chain. Was looking at latest gen 4 bikes while I was there. Cube stereo hybrid 140 SL 750 is looking pretty tempting.

How long are you keeping emtb’s for? Does 5 year old bike have any resale value?

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I would not change that often these days but i broke the frame on the last one so have recently purchased a new bike as completely lost faith in the other one
But After 5 yrs you have done ok i would say and if you can afford it then hell why not .

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
From the sound of it your current bike still works as it should but has just been well used. I would tend to keep a bike like that until the battery or motor reach the end of their useful life or something breaks that due to the defeat technology you cannot easily fix.

With any bike you have to expect to renew tyres, brake pads, transmission parts ie chains, chain rings and cassettes. You probably also need to occasionally service your suspension.

However if your head has been turned by a new bike and you have the money, sell yours in the classified section and enjoy a new one. You only live once.

On the other hand, simply buy a new bike and keep the old one as a spar. You can never have too many bikes.

Has my advise come full circle!

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0262_04.JPG

new cx motor new 500w batt kiox display dpx 2 shock under 24kg and can hit 40mph on the flat.

the forks are shite but when there gone with the brakes everything has been upgraded.

but if you want a dongle be carful as on most bikes now you cant fit bigger chain rings so a dongle will be pointless.

and bosch with there smart motors looks like there going to be gps tracked so that means no dongles will work.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
My Bergamont full suspension (Bosch cx) is 5 years and has done over 6,000km (3,000km on second motor). Still seems to run ok but has fair bit of wear and tear.

Currently in shop to replace bearing on drive pulley-wheel and a few other parts on drive chain. Was looking at latest gen 4 bikes while I was there. Cube stereo hybrid 140 SL 750 is looking pretty tempting.

How long are you keeping emtb’s for? Does 5 year old bike have any resale value?
3,000Km is only about 2,000 miles which seems a very low amount of miles to wear out a motor has this been used aggressively off-road mainly?

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl and PC2017

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
He has ridden 6,000km, 3,728 miles, so a reasonable mileage. Those CX motors were vulnerable to water ingress, as all crank drive motors are to a lesser or greater extent.

As soundwave has done, you can now have that motor rebuilt with all new bearings.

My first Yamaha crank drive motor lasted 6,000 miles, and luckily for me failed right on the two year warranty, and the dealership where I bought it replaced it free of charge. I am sure that the bearings on that first motor failed due to water ingress. I also believe it was due to my washing of the bike rather than riding.

That replaced motor is still going strong five and a half years after it was put in and now with over 10,000 miles on it. That has vindicated my decision not to spray water over the replaced motor when washing the bike. It has actually given me an excellent excuse not to wash the bike anywhere as much as I did when it was newer.

I am now close to getting that motor rebuilt. As soundwave has told me, I have definitely had my monies worth out of it!

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
My Haibike (Yamaha) motor failed after 5000 plus miles. Was quoted £1200 for new motor so bought a Giant Fathom 2...but then had motor Haibike motor recon Ed at Performance Bearings. The Giant has had new front and rear hubs (warranty after 400 miles), its range is identical to Haibike even though it has 500 wh battery over 400 on hard. The battery has never shown over 97% fill. (which suppliers insist is normal) and now after approx 550 miles the motor is now noisier than rebuilt Haibike. Haibike is better bike. Without doubt.
If you have something that works well stick with it. Motors can be rebuilt (mine cost £200 ish) Only found this out after buying Giant. I won't be buying Giant again.
Stick with these 2 till worn out, then get another Haibike.

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
First motor was replaced under 2 year warranty after 3,000km. Wasn’t really bad but bearings had some wear so shop swapped it out.

Still riding year round in all weathers but don’t bother cleaning with hose as often as I used too.

Now I’m past 3,000km on replacement motor so wasn’t sure how much life left in it. But seems to be running nice and smooth after shop service so guess I’m good for now. New bikes do look nice though, will probably have another look next year.

Not bothered about dongles. Very hilly round my way, 15mph is enough for climbing and can manage 35mph on way down without assist.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
18k km on my gen2 CX when it needed a rebuild, 25k on it now. I've had to swap wear parts in the drivetrain and wheel hubs and the motor to battery wiring harness but its been incredibly reliable on balance. The battery is losing capacity now which is expected as it get recharged twice a day for the part 4yrs.

Suggest you keep the bike and go on a holiday instead...

Related Articles

Advertisers