500 miles minus one car minus 6Kg plus 600 pounds = happy

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
For the start of this journey into ebikes see this post http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6113-my-19-year-old-gt-mb-conversion.html.

As you can tell from the subject I am very happy with my results & decisions.

About 3 years ago I started having ectopic beats, the SVTs (Supraventricular tachycardia) kind, and this seriously dented my confidence (I was 39 back then). The cardiologist assured me that my heart was in good condition to maintain a working heart rate, so the old bike came out and I started riding to work.

On the 4th day, I finished my 5 mile trek into work and my heart doubled in speed, with it being 140bpm at the time, it went up to almost 280bpm (recorded)! Let me tell you that 5 seconds is a long, long time at 280bpm, I honestly thought I was going to die then and there. Again, I went to the Docs but to be honest they didn't give a BROWN LOG, statistically, I don't fit a risk profile and after every test in the 'Beginners Book To Cardiovascular Function' they don't even discuss it anymore. So with them not giving a flying fornication and my own lack of self confidence my health went downhill fast.

Anyway, during that period I started looking at ebikes and found the suppliers to be woeful on two fronts; looks and price. Being a relativity young man with image hangups I wanted something that would pass as a normal bike - no cigar! If I were in the ebike business I would go to lengths to hide the technology, but no, the ebike business is into obvious and IMHO this is detrimental for a wider demographic takeup. The only players that like subtle is Cytronex but it's a very expensive trek bike, so I left it for a couple of years to see if things progressed - they didn't - in my opinion the market is much the same as it was back then only prices have got even higher. So I asked here and Phil (I think) advised me to go the DIY route and put me in contact with 'German' Frank for which I am very grateful.

back in June I was 15.5 stone (about 98kg), today I am 14.5 stone(92kg), fitter, firmer and feeling much better in myself. There is another stone to drop but I have almost lost the weight of the kit I added to my bike which is utterly brilliant. My car came up for it's MOT and Tax and I decided not to renew it, that coupled with the cost of fuel I have saved about £600 so far (profit!)

How is the bike running? I would like to have a negative but honestly can't find anything that you would not adapt to, like pedalec control, it's slow to kick in but a little twist on the throttle when needed works great. Rocket take-off in slow moving traffic was a problem at first but the 3 speed switch works well in this situation. Power wise the motor and battery combination have been perfect with a fully charged battery giving me about 35 mile range (+ a little reserve ), the rear wheel could do with better truing but it works. I think my only negative is the throttle, it worked it's way towards the grip and started sticking - so redesign on that could fix the problem as could making sure it was tight in the first place :)

Do I love my bike? you bet, it's already given me 20 years of service and now thanks to a motor could give me another 20. If you commute through Hampton court I'm the aggressive rider on the blue bike (that doesn't look like an ebike) hand signing the car drivers that get too close :)

Now, lets see how much cold I can handle in the coming months.

Rob

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice write up Rob and neat conversion. The winter will be the real test, the cold is not so bad with the right clothing but I really hate cold AND rain!

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Not seen you on Hampton Court Bridge yet, I'm going Molesey to Kingston direction (and onto Sunbury) at around 8:40 and back in the evening.

Will agree whole heartedly about the styling (and cost) of e-bikes, so I went the DIY route too - my Sunlova kit arrived last Monday. So far my commute has reduced from 46mins before the kit to 26mins after fitting it, with the added bonus of not looking and feeling like a complete wreck on arrival.

If you see a silver Peugeot hybrid freewheeling up over the bridge you know who it is !

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
I'll keep an eye out for you Trevor, most likely on the way home, I ride towards Sunbury. How is the kit? would be good
to stop and exchange rides to see how a different bike feels.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hey Rob I missed this when you first posted.

I'm of a similar weight (although a little older!) and I have to say that my converted ebike has given me a new enthusiasm for exercise and generally looking after myself. I commute a 32 mile round trip 3 days a week and I won't be able to do this at my level of fitness without assistance.

I put a heart rate monitor on this morning for the first time and I was surprised at how low the bpm was - max 145 and average about 130. This compares with max of 175 and average of 155 on my road bike (admittedly on a hillier spin). In trying to describe the effect of the motor to friends who ask about the bike I can now point to being quicker for far less effort (I know its kind of obvious but i now know what it means to my body).

I have suffered from bad palpitations in the past and I take blood pressure tablets so I'm always aware of whats going on with the ticker. I can only imagine what it was like at 285 bpm - that must have been really scary:eek:

John

fishzx7r

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Colchester, UK
I also missed your post first time like john,
I thimk we should call this the "Cardiac section" as I also got into e-bikes by way of a heart attack,but I went the direct access and bought a bike abeit a fairly cheap chinese import,
I too don't like to advertise I'm on a Ebike, but apart from the hub, at a quick glance you can't tell it's not a conventional mountain bike.
anyway it's given me a new found freedom to get about all the off road routes around my area, and being retired can spend a lot more time out in the fresh air,
I get about 20miles from a full charged battery at between 8-15 mph with not much help from myself. as time goes by and my heart and I get a little fitter I will give the poor ole motor and battery a bit more help,

Stay lucky everyone and ride safe
Rob

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Cardic section

OK, I'll put my hand up as well although I have nothing diagnosed, there is heart trouble (can't spell "desease") in the family and the doctor has told me I have an elevated cholesterol level. I decided I needed to up my excersise level and cycling to work a few days a week would help although I did not want to feel a complete wreck on arrival.
The conversion kit has encouraged me to cycle four times a week, I enjoy the journey and it is quicker than driving.

PS
I too know what 265bpm feels like during the "running test" - there was a crash cart ready, luckily I did not need it - I do understand the "Oh dear*, I think I'm dying" feeling.
* not exactly the phrase but you can probably guess.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I also have high cholesterol and a family history of heart disease. Had a stress test when I was 37. Not lost any weight yet but hopefully the 40 miles a day will take care of that. Hoping to hit 1000 miles before the end of next month.

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
It's odd, I didn't mean to turn the post into a cardio based one, but I honestly feel lucky being in a position to use technology to help correct an health issue, effectively!