Wisper 806 Torque

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
I joined the pedelecs community and ended up buying a Wisper 806 Torque on sale @ 40% off as an ex-demo bike.

My reasoning for the folding bike is moving jobs to Milton Keynes, I need a commuter bike. The home side of the journey is only 5 miles and the works side is about a mile, maybe less. I need to get it on the train for 2–3 days a week, as I can work from home the others. But the first week or so will be all in the office to get the swing of things.

Up until today, I've only put it through some mild runs, to prove to myself I can still cycle. Today I cycled to the station, and back using the planned route. Much of it along the canal. The overall elevation, only 90ft up/down and a 24-minute ride.

The canal has two challenging points, an underpass that you must duck quite low if you continue to cycle it, and a stepped bridge that on the way back I walked over. Nearly catapulted myself over the handle bars on the down slope on the way there, lesson learned.

The 806 ate up the ride easily. I had it on maximum assist all the time. I'm older, overweight and under fit - by a long way. Arrived at the station on schedule and not out of breath, but knowing I've done some exercise, for the first time in many years. I immediately turned around and cycled home. Arriving at the end a bit sweaty, again, not out of breath, but knowing I'll feel the burn a bit tomorrow.

I think I need to angle the seat a bit, and maybe raise the handle bars. I felt I was leaning too much on my palms.

15 mph along the empty canal is plenty speed for me. I caught up and passed a pedeleg easily. Most people I passed seemed polite and moved when I gave plenty of warning with the bell and slowed to pass.

On the road, the few roundabouts in the town I had to navigate seemed easier because of the confidence in the power to get the bike to accelerate from low speed. I'm glad of the canal, as I'd forgotten how rude town car drivers are. Not very forgiving at keeping space when turning. Or when there is a stopped bus that I'm negotiating and aren't keen on respecting my presence. I'm sure I'm not as impatient when driving?

The torque feature of the bike is superb. Can be a bit of a surprise when starting off, but is easily mastered. I found once you get the right pedal position for launch and step onto the bike, it propels you away quite nicely. I found myself pretty much riding the whole time in top (7th) gear - even from standstill. There seemed no advantage or necessity to change down. There were also a couple of parts of the journey where I easily went past the 15 mph assistance.

I think I am going to be able to arrive at work on Monday without being sweaty, and hoping to increase my level of fitness without blowing a gasket.